Thread: Dc481

Default Dc481

My wife drew dc481 and I am wondering if anyone knows of any trails that are 4 wheeler accessible where you could possibly get to where the caribou would or is it all airplane access, any help would be appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by crossfoxAK View Post
    My wife drew dc481 and I am wondering if anyone knows of any trails that are 4 wheeler accessible where you could possibly get to where the caribou would or is it all airplane access, any help would be appreciated
    I drew the same tag. I know folks try to access DC481 from Eureka via the monument trail, but you have to cross the big O and the Black river. I do not believe it is safe to cross with 4 wheels but cannot say for sure because I have never been. I have two track rigs (M76 Otters) and will be going to the area last week in Sept. We could make arrangements for me to fairy you across? I am considering coming down from the Denali Hwy and crossing the Maclarene River and then crossing the Big O and then the Black. I am looking for the most direct path that has the least amount of rocks. I have heard the Monument trail is full of rock.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by M76 Otter View Post
    I drew the same tag. I know folks try to access DC481 from Eureka via the monument trail, but you have to cross the big O and the Black river. I do not believe it is safe to cross with 4 wheels but cannot say for sure because I have never been. I have two track rigs (M76 Otters) and will be going to the area last week in Sept. We could make arrangements for me to fairy you across? I am considering coming down from the Denali Hwy and crossing the Maclarene River and then crossing the Big O and then the Black. I am looking for the most direct path that has the least amount of rocks. I have heard the Monument trail is full of rock.
    Don't the Nelchina herd hunts all close between Sept 20-Oct 20?

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    Don't the Nelchina herd hunts all close between Sept 20-Oct 20?
    Yep...it gives the dates right on the info that you got with your draw tag. Don't know of anyone that would want to harvest some rutting bou meat.
    "Grin and Bear It"

Looks like it closes for moose in Unit 13 on the 20th as well.
    "Grin and Bear It"

Quote Originally Posted by Tearbear View Post
    Looks like it closes for moose in Unit 13 on the 20th as well.
    Thank you for the heads up, I do see the hunt re-opens 21st of Oct depending on snow fall that might be my chance to harvest a bou.

M76 Otter - Good luck to you on your hunt!
    "Grin and Bear It"

Quote Originally Posted by M76 Otter View Post
    Thank you for the heads up, I do see the hunt re-opens 21st of Oct depending on snow fall that might be my chance to harvest a bou.
    Keep an eye on the quota. The hunt will be shut down once 2200 bulls have been harvested, 700 have been shot so far.

sent from my igloo