Thread: First time to Alaska...bank fishing? Areas to wade? (Kenai Peninsula)

Default First time to Alaska...bank fishing? Areas to wade? (Kenai Peninsula)

Hi Folks,

Some of you may have seen my other post...this week my father and I are headed to Alaska for the very first time (Dad's 60th birthday present). We will be renting an RV and focusing our time in South Central Alaska. I have a full day charter booked on the middle Kenai for Silvers/Trout...but after that we are pretty open.

I'm trying to do some research on bank accessible fishing areas...Can anyone offer any recommendations? I am most certainly not looking for any secret spots...Just some starting points. We'd like to target Silvers, but would be happy with anything tugging on a line.

Ive read about Cunningham Landing in Soldotna...Also a place called Eagle rock? Not sure where that is... What about outside of the Kenai? Any other lakes, rivers or landings?

We will have waders and a few rods..just looking for some general advice- Cheers!

Hard to help you out with your PM's turned off.

Eagle Rock is a privately run park on the Kenai River. I believe it is on approximately mile 10 (distance from the ocean) of Kenai River (They have a boat launch and you can probably fish for silvers there. You can find lots of information on the Kenai Peninsula and the Kenai River by going to the Alaska Fish and Game Website.

Centennial park is also a good location located in Soldotna where you can fish from the bank for Silvers. I would also try fishing the Russian River. The Russian flows into the upper Kenai River. It is easily wadeable and fishes well for trout and silvers.

I understand your predicament. I would be happy to answer your questions, feel free to PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ageewhy View Post
    Hi Folks,

Some of you may have seen my other post...this week my father and I are headed to Alaska for the very first time (Dad's 60th birthday present). We will be renting an RV and focusing our time in South Central Alaska. I have a full day charter booked on the middle Kenai for Silvers/Trout...but after that we are pretty open.

I'm trying to do some research on bank accessible fishing areas...Can anyone offer any recommendations? I am most certainly not looking for any secret spots...Just some starting points. We'd like to target Silvers, but would be happy with anything tugging on a line.

Ive read about Cunningham Landing in Soldotna...Also a place called Eagle rock? Not sure where that is... What about outside of the Kenai? Any other lakes, rivers or landings?

We will have waders and a few rods..just looking for some general advice- Cheers!

Sorry about that, didn't even know private messages were turned off. When I go to send a message this pops up:

ageewhy
    , you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

1. You may not have returned the system-generated email that is required to complete your registration process.
    2. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
    3. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

In any case, if anyone is willing to help please bump me an email at adamy.fl@gmail.com, again not looking for secrets spots just some places to start. We will be arriving into Anchorage this Thursday!

You need to have at least 10 posts before private messages are turned on. so just keep posting short messages you are almost there

Quote Originally Posted by ak_logan View Post
    You need to have at least 10 posts before private messages are turned on. so just keep posting short messages you are almost there
    Oh, got it! Thank you!

Cunnigham Park (in Kenai) is a decent spot (though muddy) for Silvers. I would not consider it a spot for a vacation...not much scenery, muddy, and spotty for fishing. Eagle Rock you will need a boat to fish effectively. For shore fishing the Kenai River I'd consider Centennial or Swiftwater park in Soldotna (Much more centrally located than Kenai).
    or Bings in Sterling.

If you have an RV, I'd consider renting a raft and floating the upper and Middle Kenai. You will need a shuttle service but that is available. Things you learn from the guided middle river float would be applicable. Russian River can be a fun spot to pick up a silver and fish trout, especially during weekdays.

Reports are of HOT fishing in Valdez! If its "catching" then that is probably the place for cohos right now.

Just so you know, if you plan to fish Centennial or Swiftwater park, the "day use" fee of $7 is only good for 7 or 8 hours, not the entire day. The website says 12 hrs, but that is no longer the case. Kind of a raw deal if you want to fish some in the morning and again in the evening.

Aside from floatin eggs or casting pixies, what would a guy do? Any particular fly work for flipping and if one chooses to go that route, what is the difference between flipping for reds and flipping for silvers?

Quote Originally Posted by ninja View Post
    Aside from floatin eggs or casting pixies, what would a guy do? Any particular fly work for flipping and if one chooses to go that route, what is the difference between flipping for reds and flipping for silvers?
    Purple and pink flies with some silver flash work well. A lot of people use Egg Sucking Leeches and Flash flies. Last week at the russian we had zero luck with any of our silver flies so switched to pink yarn on a size 3 gammi octopus hook and picked up our two fish pretty quickly. The big difference for me between flossing for reds and flipping for silvers is that for silvers I move the splitshot closer to the fly so the fly is lower in the water column. Not sure if most people do that but it works for me.

Also, on the Kenai soaking roe with a pyramid sinker on a sliding swivel above a spin n glo seems to work pretty well.

Someone may have already mentioned it but get a copy of the book called the "Highway Angler". It documents a lot of shore fishing opportunities pretty accurately.

GregT nailed it! The Highway Angler is a great book for all road accessible fishing locations.