Thread: 2013 Big Boss wet belt

Default 2013 Big Boss wet belt

We went scouting Saturday and got into some pretty bad bogs and then some deep stream crossings. After the bogs I had some slipping so I pulled the plug and drain a bunch of water out of the belt housing. The slipping went away after about 15 seconds of riding (this was all in low range). I switched to high and it hooked up great! After each of the next three deep clear-water crossing I had to drain it (not as much water came out these times). Each time it hooked up great in high but took a bit in low. After staying out of the water I how zero problems. The plug is great, but how do I keep it dry?

We are hitting the hills for a week starting tomorrow afternoon, so I am buying a new belt to take with me just in case. I just wish I could keep it dry to begin with! FYI, my wife was on the 500HO (bought at the same time as the 6x6) and it was bone dry when I pulled the drain plug on it :-)

I'm rather surprised! Granted every clutch box runs the chance of water but I've had very good luck with Polaris boxes. Never had a wet belt once.

I'd consider checking/replacing the o-ring and installing it with a film of grease.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

I don't know what the housing looks like but I just had an issue with my ranger 4x4. I went through some deep water and same thing each time as a precaution I popped the plug and had some water. Kind of surprised me with the placement of the intakes. Well when I got home I looked at the intakes and there was no sign of water or even smudges.when I opened the housing and turns out the factory pinched the gasket when assembled. Going to take it in.

Thanks guys. If I don't have to replace the belt on this trip, I will be doing so soon after. I will check the gasket and o-ring (I assume you are talking about the drain plug o-ring) when I have it apart. Peace out until next week :-) Heeeere moooossie!

This doesn't surprise me at all as I have had terrible luck with the Polaris belt covers. I haven't had any wet issues, but the clutches always HIT my covers. Definitely another one of Polaris' weaknesses. Yamaha is somehow able to build a solid, aligned, tight, and dry clutch cover.