Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 47

Thread: Need Help w/ older Garmin GPS & Mapsource Combo

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    2,587

    Default Need Help w/ older Garmin GPS & Mapsource Combo

    Hey folks. I know there has been some recent discussions here about GPS, which prompted me to pick up an older copy of Garmin Mapsource for my GPSMap76. Now I guess I need some help with it.

    The software loads okay to the laptop, but there is not one single terrain feature on the entire map of Alaska. (Or HI, or Western US or Eastern US). I mean nothing. It looks like my 11 yr old drew a map of Alaska with a no 2 pencil and some crayons on scrap piece of printer paper. There are some red lines for roads and some blue smudges for lakes, and that is it. I tired to load a map to the GPS unit, and it went through all of the opening and sending tracks waypoints etc (of which there were none because I created none), but when I went to the GPS menu and tried to select "Mapsource Info" that option was greyed out and unselectable, as it has always been.

    Any thoughts?

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    2,587

    Default

    If anyone has a coy of the user manual, especially on pdf, that I could borrow, I would really appreciate it. Garmin no longer supports Mapsource in any form. All downloads have been removed from their site.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    3,246

    Default

    Why don't you use Base Camp?
    Anyway I have Mapsource user's manual if you want it and the Topo cd's.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    2,587

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
    Why don't you use Base Camp?
    Anyway I have Mapsource user's manual if you want it and the Topo cd's.
    Because Basecamp is incompatible with my unit. Yeah I'd appreciate the loan of the manual. I bought the cd's via fleabay. No manual included. (Didn't think I'd need it.)

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    2,587

    Default

    Okay. Did a complete uninstall and reinstall using Macgyver's discks and manual. Did everything to the letter. (Actually, it's all pretty well automated.) I figured out how to select map sections and transfer them to the GPS unit.

    Still no map detail. Seriously. It's like a kindergartener drew this map on construction paper.

    The only thing I can think of is the software requires an unlock code, however, the install wizard never prompted for an unlock code. (The manual says if a code is required the wizard will prompt for one; if the wizard does not prompt for a code, then no unlock code is required for that software product.) None of the disc sets I have (I now have four separate Mapsource disc sets.) have anything resembling an unlock code.

    There is still no topo data, either on the laptop or on the GPS. I don't understand how a "topo" product can be as flat as piece of cardboard, but this one is.

  6. #6
    Member Roger45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    966

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FL2AK-Old Town View Post
    If anyone has a coy of the user manual, especially on pdf, that I could borrow, I would really appreciate it. Garmin no longer supports Mapsource in any form. All downloads have been removed from their site.
    Two days ago I went to the Garmin site, looked up my GPS and downloaded the .pdf file for my unit. It tells you how to interface with Mapsource :-)
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

  7. #7
    Member Roger45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    966

    Default

    Another thing you can do is to take your unit into Sportsman Warehouse and see if the GPS guru can help. I took mine to Brian @ the Wasilla store and he was of great help. I think you simply have a setting on the hand unit not set "right"...but I have a 60CSx, not your unit. Navigating the unit can be frustrating, but you should be able to get all the details.
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    idaho
    Posts
    591

    Default

    Topo does not require an unlock code.
    Did you hit the scroll down box to increase the map detail?
    I've been using Mapsource for along time.
    Check what version of Mapsource you have, some are better than others.
    You have the disc for Alaska? Some version allow you to install the map on the hard drive and not have to read from disc.
    There is a way to get the maps to hard drive on all versions, by editing the registry.
    Keep posting, we'll get it to work..............
    "The older I get, the better I was."

  9. #9

    Default I'd just call Garmin

    Quote Originally Posted by FL2AK-Old Town View Post
    Hey folks. I know there has been some recent discussions here about GPS, which prompted me to pick up an older copy of Garmin Mapsource for my GPSMap76. Now I guess I need some help with it.

    The software loads okay to the laptop, but there is not one single terrain feature on the entire map of Alaska. (Or HI, or Western US or Eastern US). I mean nothing. It looks like my 11 yr old drew a map of Alaska with a no 2 pencil and some crayons on scrap piece of printer paper. There are some red lines for roads and some blue smudges for lakes, and that is it. I tired to load a map to the GPS unit, and it went through all of the opening and sending tracks waypoints etc (of which there were none because I created none), but when I went to the GPS menu and tried to select "Mapsource Info" that option was greyed out and unselectable, as it has always been.

    Any thoughts?
    I just tried the same thing on Mapsource & could not get Garmin's 24K Topo installed. The UnlockMap Wizard does not work. As has been said previous there is no unlock code for this map, only a serial #. There should be a work around, where you load the map directly to your harddrive. I would call Garmin & ask them for the workaround. Even though they don't support Mapsource, they should be of help. Their number is 1-800-800-1020 or 913-397-8200. Let us know where you end up?

    One tip - It depends on the technician you get on the other line. You may have to call one that is willing to help. Sometimes, I've found where one tech. will just punt & say it's not possible, whereas a better tech. will dig into the problem & fix it.

    I've also found where some old versions will work with what I'm trying to do, whereas the new version won't. Bigger, better, upgraded, & newer can often mean the reverse.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    2,587

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by travelers View Post
    Topo does not require an unlock code.
    Did you hit the scroll down box to increase the map detail?
    I've been using Mapsource for along time.
    Check what version of Mapsource you have, some are better than others.
    You have the disc for Alaska? Some version allow you to install the map on the hard drive and not have to read from disc.
    There is a way to get the maps to hard drive on all versions, by editing the registry.
    Keep posting, we'll get it to work..............
    Yes, I tried zooming in and out to various map detail levels. Even at 80 ft I get nothing but a white screen. (The software doesn't even show vegetation coloring.)

    I'm using v 3.02. I haven't loaded map data onto the hard drive; there wasn't an option for that, and the manual said you had to have the CD's to use the software.

    I've stopped working with it, hoping someone might post something here. My frustration level with it is pretty high. Thank God I didn't pay a hundred bucks for this stuff; I'd really be screaming. I've also noticed next to nothing on the internet about this. I see a lot of webpages that reference "Mapsource Sucks" or "Garmin Unlock sucks" but nothing I can use, so any advice at all is appreciated.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    2,587

    Default

    Their website is pretty clear: no further unlock codes for Mapsource and Mapsource is no longer a supported product. Furthermore, they're really going to hang up when they hear I'm using a GPSMap76 from 2006. But, I can give it a try.



    Quote Originally Posted by Kushtekaa View Post
    I just tried the same thing on Mapsource & could not get Garmin's 24K Topo installed. The UnlockMap Wizard does not work. As has been said previous there is no unlock code for this map, only a serial #. There should be a work around, where you load the map directly to your harddrive. I would call Garmin & ask them for the workaround. Even though they don't support Mapsource, they should be of help. Their number is 1-800-800-1020 or 913-397-8200. Let us know where you end up?

    One tip - It depends on the technician you get on the other line. You may have to call one that is willing to help. Sometimes, I've found where one tech. will just punt & say it's not possible, whereas a better tech. will dig into the problem & fix it.

    I've also found where some old versions will work with what I'm trying to do, whereas the new version won't. Bigger, better, upgraded, & newer can often mean the reverse.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    2,587

    Default

    Well hey thanks for suggesting the call to Garmin. To my surprise, I did not get the expected response of "We no longer support your product; buy a new a product," however, I did get the "we can not support your product because it is not the latest and greatest version." (v 6 something) Upgrading to version 6 is free, however, I also got the "You cannot upgrade to the latest version because we do not support Windows XP Service Pack 2; you must upgrade your computer's operating system before we can help you."

    My question of : "Wait a minute. The original (old) software was designed to work with the older operating system, why do I have to upgrade anything?" To which the tech girl responded: "Because your product is not working properly, you must upgrade." (Essentially, their idea of "fix" is to "upgrade.")

    On the bright side, folks were polite, and it only took about half an hour.

    Soooooooo. The answer is No I can not use Mapsource on my older GPSMap76 because I'm not putting money into that computer and I'm not putting money into that GPS, and I'm not buying a new GPS.

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    idaho
    Posts
    591

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FL2AK-Old Town View Post
    Yes, I tried zooming in and out to various map detail levels. Even at 80 ft I get nothing but a white screen. (The software doesn't even show vegetation coloring.)

    I'm using v 3.02. I haven't loaded map data onto the hard drive; there wasn't an option for that, and the manual said you had to have the CD's to use the software.

    I've stopped working with it, hoping someone might post something here. My frustration level with it is pretty high. Thank God I didn't pay a hundred bucks for this stuff; I'd really be screaming. I've also noticed next to nothing on the internet about this. I see a lot of webpages that reference "Mapsource Sucks" or "Garmin Unlock sucks" but nothing I can use, so any advice at all is appreciated.
    It's not the "80FT" details that you need to zoom in with. It's the drop down box to the right of the one you used. It'll say lowest lower high highest etc.
    All so you need to up grade to v 6.13.6. can be done for free.
    I guarantee your GPS will work with mapsource. I'm using it on a windows 2000 machine and a xp computer. You can upgrade too XP service pack 3 for free.
    Also I have used the work around to get the maps on the hard drive.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "The older I get, the better I was."

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    idaho
    Posts
    591

    Default

    Older versions of mapsource can be found here..............http://www.gawisp.com/perry/mapsource/

    scroll down and find 6136.exe That version works with older computers.

    45.1 mb, a large file. Use it to upgrade your version.

    When you get 6.13.6 up and running I'll walk you through getting the .img (maps) files to your hard drive.
    "The older I get, the better I was."

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    idaho
    Posts
    591

    Default

    Then you will need to install USB drivers.

    They can be found at the same link for version 6.13.6
    "The older I get, the better I was."

  16. #16
    Member ChugiakTinkerer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Chugiak, Alaska
    Posts
    682

    Default

    I may be confused about the XP SP 2 comment, but you can and should upgrade to Service Pack 3 at no cost to you (other than download costs).

    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...ice-pack-3-sp3

    Oh, now I see travelers already made this point. What he said!

  17. #17
    Member Akgramps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Last civilized place on the planet
    Posts
    2,078

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FL2AK-Old Town View Post
    Well hey thanks for suggesting the call to Garmin. To my surprise, I did not get the expected response of "We no longer support your product; buy a new a product," however, I did get the "we can not support your product because it is not the latest and greatest version." (v 6 something) Upgrading to version 6 is free, however, I also got the "You cannot upgrade to the latest version because we do not support Windows XP Service Pack 2; you must upgrade your computer's operating system before we can help you."

    My question of : "Wait a minute. The original (old) software was designed to work with the older operating system, why do I have to upgrade anything?" To which the tech girl responded: "Because your product is not working properly, you must upgrade." (Essentially, their idea of "fix" is to "upgrade.")

    On the bright side, folks were polite, and it only took about half an hour.

    Soooooooo. The answer is No I can not use Mapsource on my older GPSMap76 because I'm not putting money into that computer and I'm not putting money into that GPS, and I'm not buying a new GPS.
    I have been using Mapscource for years and find it relatively ez to use, even for me. Garmin has always been very helpful, even on Holiday weekend...but I was the original purchaser and my Rino serial number is linked to my Garmin account..yada yada.....they know i paid for this product.
    Expecting support on a outdated product that was purchased second hand may be part of the problem. I have not requested any help for awhile, so maybe now that its discontinued I would get the same thing....?

    Using the scroll down menu is the key for detail.

    If you plan on using electronics in the field you may need to replace or buy some more current stuff.
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

  18. #18
    Member JR2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    2,129

    Default

    On my version of mapsource there was a separate Alaska/Hawaii Cd that you had to have in the cd drive for the maps to work. I still have a copy somewhere and would be happy to burn you a cd sometime. I am leaving for work for three weeks tomorrow but when I get back I can do it. PM me to remind me.

    John

    Sent from my phone while I should be working.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

    Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

  19. #19
    Member JOAT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Soldotna, ALASKA since '78
    Posts
    3,720

    Default

    FL2... Is there a map product with your MapSource software? When you say, "MapSource", you are talking about the software that allows you to load maps, waypoints, tracks, & routes between your GPS & computer. The "free" version of MapSource does NOT have any maps with it. You would be looking at the generic basemap, which was drawn by a 1st grader. The only way you'll see any map detail is to actually install maps into your MapSource.

    If your MapSource was labeled "TOPO USA", then it would have maps with it. There should have been 3 CDs if that were the case with one for Alaska, one for Western USA, and one for Eastern USA. If it was "TOPO USA 2008", then it would be a single DVD that has all the map data on it. And then there are the street map products and BlueChart products.

    If you just have MapSource with no maps, you've done all you can do with it. If it actually is one of the TOPO products, you'll need to hit the menus and find the command to select the map product being viewed. You should have entries in there for the basemap and then the TOPO map. Another way to see if you have an actual map product is zoom out so you are looking at a big chunk of Alaska and select the map tool from the toolbar. The state should be transformed into a grid array where the map tool allows you to start picking the map pieces you want to load to your GPS. If that doesn't happen, you have no maps installed.

    You don't need to upgrade the software, you just need to find some maps. There are free maps available out there that you can use MapSource to load to your GPS.
    Winter is Coming...

    Go GeocacheAlaska!

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    2,587

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by travelers View Post
    It's not the "80FT" details that you need to zoom in with. It's the drop down box to the right of the one you used. It'll say lowest lower high highest etc.
    All so you need to up grade to v 6.13.6. can be done for free.
    I guarantee your GPS will work with mapsource. I'm using it on a windows 2000 machine and a xp computer. You can upgrade too XP service pack 3 for free.
    Also I have used the work around to get the maps on the hard drive.
    Travelers,

    So the low, higher, highest pull down menu which is shown in your screen shot, doesn't exist on my Mapsource and all of the other buttons (map tool, zoom, wpt tool, etc) are in different locations than what yours shows. (Which isn't a big deal, save for the one pull down not being there at all.)

    I didn't know that XP3 would be free. My gf is a IT professional, so maybe I'll do it, if it's not a huge PITA.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •