Thread: Calling Bears...

Default Calling Bears...

Anyone ever use mouth blown predator calls to bring in bears? We do a lot of predator calling down here in ND (coyotes & fox), and I've wondered if there's any reason this wouldn't work just as well on bears. Calling dogs can be exciting, but I bet bears would take the rush to a whole 'nother level!

Based on a lifetime of predator calling down here, I think that the best way to go would be to visually locate a bear you want and specifically work that animal. Often times we locate a sleeping dog with the spotting scope at a mile or more, stalk to within a quarter mile or so, set up, and work him in. Bet this would work on a bear, particularly if he's out cruising for a meal.

Can't help but to think blind calling (sneaking into a likely area, setting up, and just start calling), which we do often with dogs, would be generally recklessly dangerous with bears up there. Either way, I would set up so the bear (or an unseen one) couldn't circle and get in behind me undetected. Can't help but think that a brown or even black bear getting within 30 or so yards undetected while looking for an easy meal would ruin a guy's day.

Anticipating close, fast shooting, I think this would be the perfect place to use my stainless steel 45-70 Guide Gun with ghost ring sights, rather than one of my 338's. Hope to be able to give this a try up there next year.

BTW, is predator calling in general done in Alaska?...

I've done it by accident, both while calling deer and foxes. By no means something I would do intentionally. Or ever again accidentally if I can manage it. You don't work the bear. The bear works you. And they're good at it.

Answer this: The bear that comes might not be the one you want- a sow with cubs, rubbed hide, too small. What do you do? Share a good laugh with it and tell it you were only kidding?

That would be the rub, no pun intended. Common sense dictares a non-target animal is going to be an issue when talking about brown bear in particular. That's why I'm asking if anyone has done this type of hunting.

As I said, calling blind would be ill advised and great care would have to be used in selecting a safe stand location when working a target animal. If a target bear is spotted and a safe stand location isn't available, then a guy would be wise to shine that animal on...

Used a call, and it worked to the point wher eI had trouble leaving my stand. The bears came in and they came in aggressive.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default It Works!

Used a Carlton bear call last year after my partner decided he wanted to shoot, just as the bear decided to leave dodge. We could only see the boars hindquarters when I blew the call. What had been a placid bear exiting spun around in mid step and ran back at our location with his hair standing straight up. I yelled and waved so he wouldn't run us over and my buddy put one into him at about 35 yards.

Proceed with caution my friend...

You might try calling from a boat in a small bay, with lots of echo. With the shooter in a tree stand.
    Dan

Default Deer Calls

My son and I were calling deer this past fall and we were in heavy brush boarding small muskeg patches. We had been calling for only 3-4 minutes when we caught movement off to our side at about 50 yards, it was a 5-6' blackie coming full tilt out of the brush and into the muskeg. We stopped him at 15 yards with yelling and waving our arms. After he came to a full stop he became stiffed legged and paced back and forth, posturing in front of us.

At the time neither one of us wanted to deal with a bear, we already had one deer down a 1/4 mile back with another 1/2 mile hike to the boat. Mr. blackie finally had to be asked to leave by putting a bullet into the mud in front of his face. Interesting enough our two partners were experiencing the same thing about a mile from us.

Calling works.

kingfisherktn

Default Geez Louise!

Okay, WHAT calls are you guys using? I've tried calling a handful of times and it produced nothing.
    "He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit is better than he who takes a city." ~ Proverbs 16:32

I was using a homemade deer call.

kingfisherktn

I use a fawn bleat......