Thread: Transporting an ATV

Default Transporting an ATV

I'm looking at purchasing an open Jon boat that will serve dual purposes. I'd like to be able to transport a 4 wheeler up the Yentna and I'd like to be able to get it unstuck without having to call in a bunch of favors. I've looked at Sea Arks and G3's. right now I'm leaning toward a 1860 G3 with a 90/65 Yamaha. The Sea Ark would carry more but it also weighs more which is a concern for me. So I guess my question is will a 1860 G3 transport a four wheeler? It looks to me like one will fit without a problem.

Easily. I took my 6 wheeler in my jon boat with a 50hp Yamaha jet. I added a 15hp prop on back to speed things up. It wasn't fast or nimble but it wasn't dangerous by any stretch. I've moved 3 and 4 wheelers in the same boat many times, some of them with the old Suzuki 40hp jet.

I own a SeaArk 1860 jet tunnel with a Honda 90/65. There is a G3 dealer in town too. The difference in weight isn't noticible. My 1860 is as easy to move when stuck as my 1652 was. Just keep the load balanced to float level. If you are transporting your ATV and get stuck just unload it (the water will be shallow enough).

I move my Polaris Sportsmam just fine. I think SeaArk has an ATV ramp factory option too.

Either boat will be fine I initally went SeaArk because it had the highest sides.

Sobie2

Another option is Greatland welding in Palmer. He built one heck of a nice landing craft (24'er) for my neighbor at a ridiculous low price. My neighbor uses it to haul his 6 wheeler to/from the cabin. He also hauls a pile of supplies (beams, lumber, roofing materials, etc...) as I have seen the weight this boat will hold and get on step with a 115/80 jet. It's worth looking into.
    BK

How are you guys loading and unloading your wheelers? Ramps? Small hoist?

A piece of plywood for a ramp and squeeze the throttle.

I've used two sets or ramps, one inside the boat and the other is for driving up and into your boat. I started with 4"x4"x8's but they broke bouncing on waves, then tried 2x6's but the same issue. AIH has them go on sale soon and I'm on my 5th season. Used them first on my 19' Jon , but now use then in my 24' seaark.
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by tzieli22 View Post
    I've used two sets or ramps, one inside the boat and the other is for driving up and into your boat. I started with 4"x4"x8's but they broke bouncing on waves, then tried 2x6's but the same issue. AIH has them go on sale soon and I'm on my 5th season. Used them first on my 19' Jon , but now use then in my 24' seaark.
    Thinking about a 2072 seaark. The haul an ATV reason.
    You have any pics of the ramps?
    Best to go over the side or over the bow?

I purchased a 1984 Honda Big Red three wheeler and a set of 10 foot folding ramps from a guy on craigslist. I was able to use the ramps to load the three wheeler into the bow of my Wooldridge. My boat was in my drive way on the trailer, when we got up the river we were able to pull up to a dock and off load the three wheeler without any ramps. It worked really well, I may have trouble with a 4 wheeler in the bow but im going to try putting one in the back.

Thinking about making a removable deck across from gunnel to gunnel & loading from the side.
    4 legs from the atv deck down to the floor boards.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Just don't high center the wheeler on the gunwale or rail. That'll leave a mark.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by mudbuddy View Post
    Thinking about making a removable deck across from gunnel to gunnel & loading from the side.
    4 legs from the atv deck down to the floor boards.
    Seems like with your wheeler on there, your center of gravity would be awfully high and make the boat a little unstable...no?

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    Seems like with your wheeler on there, your center of gravity would be awfully high and make the boat a little unstable...no?
    CG will be higher, but it's not a canoe, so not so bad that it's way out of balance.
    Pic is on a smaller boat.
    Planning one for a 72" bottom sea ark.
    Should be pretty stable on it.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by mudbuddy View Post
    CG will be higher, but it's not a canoe, so not so bad that it's way out of balance.
    Pic is on a smaller boat.
    Planning one for a 72" bottom sea ark.
    Should be pretty stable on it.
    Roger that.

Don't buy another boat, get someone else to transport it up there, and save the money for your new cabin!!!
    It's better to burn out than fade away.....

IMG_4959.jpgIMG_4964.jpgPut the four wheeler in the back of my truck, I'll get it there!

Here is the system I use. The boat is an older lowe that I modified. I fabricated some lite weight aluminum ramps for inside the boat and also for loading 4 wheelers from the front. The picture shows the ramp from my pickup to the boat for reference only. The ramp on the front will be used to load the 4 wheeler from the river or lake bank. This set up works pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by gutleap View Post
    Here is the system I use. The boat is an older lowe that I modified. I fabricated some lite weight aluminum ramps for inside the boat and also for loading 4 wheelers from the front. The picture shows the ramp from my pickup to the boat for reference only. The ramp on the front will be used to load the 4 wheeler from the river or lake bank. This set up works pretty good.

WOW!
    Nice
    I just checked on getting a few welds cracks fixed, over $100 estimate for a few inches of welding.
    Those ramps would cost more than my boat LOL

I went over the side with some wooden ramps & it worked OK.
    Need to move the atv rack in the boat a little forward for better balance & plane.
    Once I get it all dialed in, an aluminum rack & ramps would be sweet.