Thread: retrieveing a sunk boat

Default retrieveing a sunk boat

any one have to do so? any good ideas? its a 10ft john with about 100lbs of outboard which over powered is why its at the bottom. its not mine and I was at home when it happened. but any ideas would be helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by troutslayer View Post
    any one have to do so? any good ideas? its a 10ft john with about 100lbs of outboard which over powered is why its at the bottom. its not mine and I was at home when it happened. but any ideas would be helpful.

I would think straps and some type of scuba diving lift bag..

How far from shore and how deep? Get a grapple hook on it and drag it to the beach.
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Worst case, wait til winter and get it thru the ice...

I've used 55 gal barrels and a come along hand winch and it worked ok

Inner tubes attached to the bow with a compressor or a scuba tank with a hose to inflate the inner tubes will bring it right up. Now you just need a bubba to swim down and attach the inner tubes. Hopefully the waters not too cold.....
    Ruby at the end of a good day.

Quote Originally Posted by TriIron View Post
    Inner tubes attached to the bow with a compressor or a scuba tank with a hose to inflate the inner tubes will bring it right up. Now you just need a bubba to swim down and attach the inner tubes. Hopefully the waters not too cold.....
    Whoever sunk it needs to do the swimming.

Larger cataraft with a wide frame and a derrick setup. Straddle the boat and winch it up between the tubes until the gunnels clear, then bail it out.

Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Lots of ways to skin this cat. I have experience with marine recovery, including lifting an 80' barge from 50 feet of water, and a small plane from 100 feet. Big questions are how deep, and whether you have a diver to secure the rigging. Someone else asked how deep? And any idea of the combined weight of boat, motor, and anything else that might be attached?

You basic approaches are to use some form of flotation, such as inflatable lift bags or rigid pontoons like empty plastic or steel drums. Both of these require a source of compressed air to inflate, which can be either surface-supplied or fed from a scuba tank. Air expands as it ascends (Boyle's Law) so there needs to be a provision for venting the air or the buoys will explode. Any object lifted in this manner will build speed as it ascends, and can be very dangerous for diver or even surface crew. There are techniques for controlling ascent rate, such as doing a staged lift (like 10 feet at a time) rather than shooting the whole thing up from deep water.

Next approach is brute force, usually a winch or several come-alongs to manually lift without compressed air. Still need a diver to attach the rigging, unless you can grapple something stout enough to support the load. Once the boat reaches the surface, it (may) need to be righted, then stabilized while enough water is pumped out that the boat regains its own buoyancy.

You didn't say if boat is in fresh or salt. If fresh, see two options above. If salt, you can use tide lifts by securing sunken boat to a larger craft on the surface at low tide. Tide comes up, big boat rises, lifts small boat x feet off the bottom, big boat heads for shallow water until little boat grounds again. Wait 12 hours. Repeat. Keep repeating until little boat reaches a beach where it can be grounded at high tide, and when water goes out the little boat is resting on the beach in the inter-tidal zone. Voila!

If you need a diver, or have specific questions, let me know and I'll help if I can. Good luck!
    "Money may not buy you happiness, but it will buy you a big enough boat that you can get close enough for a look."

I like mikes idea, if you need tubes let me know I am in the big tire world and have some really big tubes. Sounds like it could be kinda fun where's it sunk I may be willing to help as well.