Thread: Son's first moose

Default Son's first moose

Not much to write on this one. My oldest son and wife drew cow tags for a area we know very well. I decided to focus on filling his tag early to get meat in the freezer and take the pressure off as we get later in the season. We saw 8 cows and 5 tweener bulls opening morning but no shots and only one dry cow out of the bunch. Mid day we glassed up high hoping to catch a glimpse of a very big bull that a friend has spotted there over the summer. About 45 mins into glassing the old fellow pokes his head out of a high canyon and we are lucky enough to see this big guy. He feeds out in the side of the mountain for only 5 mins or so and then back into his little hole. When I say high I'm telling you that the sheep we spotted above him were only maybe 800 feet higher. As we continue to glass we find 6 cow's only 1/2 mile from our location but with a big swamp between us. We put our evening plan together based on the direction they were feeding and hoped they would still be there when we returned around 7 pm. Well luck was on his side, as we pulled into the cutoff we catch movement just across the ravine only 1/4 mile away, it's the cows. We spend the next 2 hrs stalking down and around to them for a 100 yard shot. And there you have it. His first moose and meat in the freezer. I don't know about you guys with kids but I really can't think of any better way to spend time with my son's than out in the field. Enjoy your season and hope you all fill your freezer. Now it's off to chase bou for my 10yr old.........Man I love AK
    Attached Images Attached Images

Way to go,outstanding job there.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Congratulations!!!

Thats the meat of it all right there. So awesome. Pass along my congratulations to your young man.

Awesome job.. ..you must be proud!
    BK

Congrats to Dakota and well done Dad as well.

Sweet well done to you both!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Looks yummy
    I have such a hard time trying to decide which outdoor activity to do every chance I get!! Living in AK is a mental challenge

Thanks for all the coments guys. I am VERY proud of him and how well he's maturing and taking in all of what the outdoors are about. As most kids do, he want's that big 60" bull but has forgotten all about that for the time being. To him at the time he pulled the trigger, that cow was the biggest moose he'd ever seen and he's still grinning from ear to ear. I bet he's told his mom and two younger brothers how it all went down 10 times over. You know he'll relive that excitement for years to come, that's what's important to me, not how big the rack is or isn't. He's still on cloud nine even after getting in bed at midnight and having to be up at 6am for school today. Oh yeah, me and mom just ate some back strap for lunch, man is it good and tender.

I sent a pm to congratulate you both, seeing the photo forum first. It's funny to read how excited he was, I think it makes us all remember that time of our first biggest kill at a young age. Congrat's again.

Priceless.........

Quote Originally Posted by GAredneck View Post
    You know he'll relive that excitement for years to come,
    Probably for his entire life...!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

We can see that young mans smile, but being a father who has had the opportunity to take pictures like yours, I am betting the one taking the picture was smiling Bigger. Congratulations to your son and congratulations Dad!

Quote Originally Posted by ADUKHNT View Post
    Looks yummy
    Congratulations Dakota!
    "Grin and Bear It"

Congratulations Dakota! I'm hoping to get my first moose this season also! I'm 10 years old too!

Sure is a lot bigger than a GA whitetail or hog. Way to go buddy