Thread: New boat owner

Default New boat owner

Last week I put her in the water to sea what she would do and I am unsure what to think. I purchased a 1996 24' USCOLA with a 454 Kodiak marine engine and a Hamiltin 211 jet. On the GPS I was getting 35mph @3500rpm. It is a heavy boat but is that about what I should be getting on a calm lake?? Any input would be great Thanks

Default Somewhat of a comparison

I would talk to the guys at professional marine, or whatever it is on Dowling rd (Mike). They can tell you if you have the right impeller. It sounnds like it is reasonable to me if that is full throttle. I have a24' Duchworth, and I see about 41 MPH at full throttle at about 3500RPM with a Redline 460. They tell me I can go one step up on impeller pitch, but I may suffer a bit when wanting to get on step with a heavy load. I also have a 211 Hamilton, and am very happy with the overall package and performance.

Jim

Default Thanks Jim

I am heading down to Homer this weekend to fish for some butts and I was just wondering if this speed was in the ballpark or not and it sounds like it is. The boat ran fine when I had it in the lake after I installed a new injector but as I am new to all of this I wasnt sure if it had the power it should have. I will give the guys at professional marine a call and see what they think as well. One more question have you ever priced out a new SS impeller for the 211? thanks again

I t could be. each prop will do differnt things. Give more speed, get you on step quicker.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Impeller Price

I think they are on the order of $1500. One thing you should do is get the numbers for RPM and speed for when it first gets on step as well as the same information for full speed. If you do end up dinging an impeller, then this will be good to know if you have to replace it so you can decide if you want to change it then. It is also good to have so you know how your jet is performing over time.

I hate to admit it but as I drive the boat around the lake and start and stop trying to get a feel for the boat and trim tabs I have not been able to feel the on step feel or even know what it should feel like. I do know that if I let the bow ride high I go a little faster then if I bring the bow down with the tabs. But I am back in town today and will have at her again on lake Luciel sp?

Will

Default On Step

OK, others feel free to correct me if I am wrong on any of this, but my experience is that trim tabs are rarely needed on my boat. I use them in the ocean when it gets rough to nose into the waves more and keep it from pounding me whe it comes off the top of a wave.

On step is a pretty fuzzy thing. When you first throttle up, you are pushing a lot of water and things feel mushy. When it gets 'on top' of the water where the boat is planing and can accelerate (as opposed to just pushing more water), that is when you are on step.

Quote Originally Posted by jrogers View Post
    OK, others feel free to correct me if I am wrong on any of this, but my experience is that trim tabs are rarely needed on my boat. I use them in the ocean when it gets rough to nose into the waves more and keep it from pounding me whe it comes off the top of a wave.

On step is a pretty fuzzy thing. When you first throttle up, you are pushing a lot of water and things feel mushy. When it gets 'on top' of the water where the boat is planing and can accelerate (as opposed to just pushing more water), that is when you are on step.

Sounds pretty close to me.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Default More help please

I was out on the lake and this is my story. Changed oil, Spark plugs and fuel filter and was trying to get that on step feeling going when my friend told me that changing tanks might help keep us from getting to heavy on one side so he went to changing tanks and as this is a throtal body fuel injection and he was slow in switching feul returns we got and extra push of power that I thought the boat was missing so after we talked a minute and figured where the power came from ( extra fuel psi ) we pinched back on the return to to the proper tank and man did she run good For about six min. Then like the fuel was shut off we were a drift on the lake and stranded without beer and hade to wait for beer and rescue. I found that I have two pumps and both are not working can any one tell me where I might look to get the power back. When I jumper 12vdc to the pumps all is well but I cant see any fuses that are blown and could use some help on where to look. Its a 1995 GM 454 with all the Kodiak marine parts on it. Thanks

Will

oops I was on my friends account Willster33 is still in trouble
    Thanks Will