Thread: Sold the Cub

Default Sold the Cub

I sold the Cub yesterday to a friend named Ernie and his boys who live up by Fire Lake.
    I spent the last two days flying my butt off with his boys and they are now both signed off for solo SES and their check-rides.
    They just left here a few hours ago heading back up to their place.
    Hopefully we will manage to schedule a couple check rides in the near future.

It was VERY sad for me to hand-prop the old Cub one last time, before she flew north.......
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    I sold the Cub yesterday to a friend named Ernie and his boys who live up by Fire Lake.
    I spent the last two days flying my butt off with his boys and they are now both signed off for solo SES and their check-rides.
    They just left here a few hours ago heading back up to their place.
    Hopefully we will manage to schedule a couple check rides in the near future.

It was VERY sad for me to hand-prop the old Cub one last time, before she flew north.......
    I'm sure that it was. I remember the feeling very well ...........................

Wow! I saw you flying a bunch over the last week. So have you decided on the next plane yet?
    The winner isn't the person with the most gold when they die, but rather, the person with the most stories.

Wes,

I am looking real hard at a couple options.

Too bad it sold this week because I just had two more people want to do their float ratings. ( why do they wait until fall?)
    A starter and lights would be nice, as well as a radio that does not run on AA batteries...

I have to maintain the little niche' that I have in the local market. I do not compete with the bigger haulers like you, I just do instruction and one or two person flight seeing / photo-guiding.

I was going to go with a C-180, but the fuel burn and constant speed prop would probably force me to increase the float-rating cost so much that I would loose all my business. Although on the other hand it would be better for local flight seeing and the occasional photo guiding trip.

I like offering an affordable float-rating so the working stiffs of the world can get their shot too....
    Most of my customers are commercial pilots (broke all the time), factory workers, plumbers, Park Rangers, college kids, active duty military and retired folks.
    Another better known float rating place caters more to the safari crowd and bankers...

The semi-salty nature of Beluga Lake seems to be a little harder on tube and fabric planes than it is on all aluminum... Even with a hosing out, the dampness always stays right where the fabric bends around the frame tubing...

Let me know if you have any ideas or see anything worth while....

160 hp pacer on edo 2000. Could b a good inexpensive 2 place float plane with everything u r looking for. Up here in TKA on Alaska's list.

Yeah I was wondering if that was one of Don Lee's trainers...
    I have flown a few Pacers on floats... They work but nothing I could fall in love with...
    Landing one without the ventral fin is like landing a snow saucer...

It is a Don Lee trainer. Nothing pretty but not 2 much money and it works. Some of his have the ventral fin. He picks them up for a pretty good price when folks have put a ton of money in them. Tail wheels, more horse power, extended wings etc. So u end up with a plane that works, good on fuel and fast for the type of aircraft. But u r correct nothing to fall in love with. Just a simple money maker with electric start.

I would think that with the extended wings it could be a solid contender...

Bang for the buck I don't think you can do any better than a pacer. I picked one up before I ever took a single hour of training. 400 hours later I had my ppl and flown over a lot of alaska. Put skis on and day two of ski flying was landing on glacier at 7,000 ft (Don Lee training). The new love is a cub but would go back to the pacer anytime.
    DENNY

Sounds like a Champ with a decent powerplant or a Citabria on floats would be a great option to keep costs down. I sure love mine. I just gotta find a set of floats for it! I hate that you had to sell the dragon lady, but at least it went to a friend!
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt'N'Photos View Post
    Sounds like a Champ with a decent powerplant or a Citabria on floats would be a great option to keep costs down. I sure love mine. I just gotta find a set of floats for it! I hate that you had to sell the dragon lady, but at least it went to a friend!
    I agree, especially the Scout. The flaps might be an additional benefit to your instructing.

What about an F19? Those are Ak proven.
    -Out-of-State for school, remembering why I love Alaska so much

Quote Originally Posted by Tcraft View Post
    I would think that with the extended wings it could be a solid contender...
    It's still too short-coupled, making it a pest for directional control in any turbulence. Always on the rudder pedals . . . . . A long day at that leaves you pretty much on the ropes.

The best PA-20 (or 22) are the heavily modified PRODUCERs made by Steve Bryant up in Anchorage. Long wings, long flaps, long fuselage, big tails and super cub gear. I have flown a couple with 180 hp and they are a very nice ship...

I am also very fond of 180 hp PA-14s.... they are a hoot to fly.... although they are a touch narrow for an old Homer boy who grew up eating moose meat, halibut and salmon.

There is a low time arctic tern wheels, floats and skis for sale in TKA as well. Don't know much about it. Never flew one. It has sat for a long while but is in fresh annual. Price is high but an offer is an offer...