Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anchorage coastal wildlife refuge access?

Default Anchorage coastal wildlife refuge access?

This year I plan on going to the Anchorage coastal wildlife refuge for duck season and was wondering where can it be accessed from. I saw some hunters last season park on the seward highway by potter marsh and cross the road and train tracks which Im not sure is even legal. Please share your access points.

Pt Woronzoff
    Kincaid Park
    Rabbit Creek NW
    all involve lots of hiking
    It's been years since I've hunted out there. Having the cops called on me about half a dozen times and once the APD had four officers meet me down the trail with guns drawn. That was the end of my hunting out there. Guess folks get too nervous when anyone other than a police officer carries a firearm. I was in my right and was totally legal, but having to explain myself everyday to on lookers and passer byes staring at you just got old.
    This will soon happen out here at the Palmer Hay Flats as more and more trails get put in. I've already had the troopers called on me while out dog training this year. Still perfectly legite, but to the closed minded "this isnt what i came to see" crowd, I'm breaking the law in there eyes.

Back in my college days I used to park at Pt Woronzoff and take my bike down the Coastal Trail a ways. I'd lock it to a tree 10 yards off the trail and hike out onto the flats, where I would usually be alone on weekdays. I miss hunting out there - good times for sure.

What side are you looking to hunt?

Quote Originally Posted by AKGrayling View Post
    What side are you looking to hunt?
    I didnt realize there was more then one side other then potter marsh which is off limits.

Last year quite a few folks parked on the New Seward, which is illegal, and then crossed the tracks and walked in. I got my girlfriend to drop me and the dog off at oh dark thirty. When we were done, I just called on the cell phone for a pick up. Pt. Woronzof is near the airport; I'm not surprised someone called the police on hunters with guns. They came out and checked on me once when I set up a ham radio station out there.

When you get the permit that is required to hunt the ACWR you can ask for a map. Make sure you take your proof of Hunter Ed with you to F&G to pick up the permit.

Don't expect limits from the ACWR (although possible). It's a great resource close to home but it does not consistently hold a lot of birds. Pulling 1 bird out is a good day. Two bIrds is a great day in my opinion. More birds are possible but it is tough, tough walking.

Too bad we don't have a spring snow goose season. Skate skiing as fast into a flock of snows with a 12 ga would be tons of fun. lol

It's been a number of years but my son and I used to hunt Kincaid. We'd head out early and park at the lot just outside the gate (which is locked that early in the am) and then we'd bike down to the area that we hunted. It's a bit of a trip biking on that trail in the dark but with headlamps on it's not that bad. One morning we came across a porcupine which my lab amost got too close too and we were always on the lookout for bullwinkle or a brownie. The hunting was nothing to brag about but we usually came home with enough birds to make it worth the bike ride. It was interesting to be in a blind, watch the planes fly over and then take a shot at a flock of teal coming in. The trip out in the daylight was always interesting with our backpacks on, a mess of ducks, guns slung over our backs and a muddy lab. We definately got some looks on the ride out but were never hassled... Since then we have found our honey holes-a bit farther out of town but don't involve bikes!
    Ruby at the end of a good day.

Banned

Default Right On!

I was going to say the same. This is why I believe that a duck hunting reserve should be established on the flats. What negatives would there be? Positives? All the new houses going in on the bluffs full of anti's would not be good! My new bumber sticker sez: PALMER HAY FLATS "Think Historically, act locally"

Banned

I understand there are old photos kickin' around Anchorage that show a model T pickup totally filled with waterfowl to the brim from that area.

From the Huffman roundabout, proceed south on Old Seward
    Turn right on Brandon, and right again on Cross.
    Follow Cross over the train tracks and turn at the next Left onto Reef Place.
    Reef dead-ends at Oceanview Bluff Park.

Walk down the hill and into the refuge.
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

Quote Originally Posted by Erik in AK View Post
    From the Huffman roundabout, proceed south on Old Seward
    Turn right on Brandon, and right again on Cross.
    Follow Cross over the train tracks and turn at the next Left onto Reef Place.
    Reef dead-ends at Oceanview Bluff Park.

Walk down the hill and into the refuge.
    Be careful. Parking is limited there, and it's a rather hoiyty toity neighborhood. If you park on the road, don't surprised if you get a ticket or a tow.

Banned

About 6 years of so ago I met a guy in Anchorage Sportsman warehouse that said I could use his parking lot at the top of the bluff. Maybe he will read this and invite you as I never got a chance to go there.

Quote Originally Posted by FL2AK-Old Town View Post
    Be careful. Parking is limited there, and it's a rather hoiyty toity neighborhood. If you park on the road, don't surprised if you get a ticket or a tow.
    I live close enough to walk there, which I usually do, but I've never had an issue parking on the street nearby. I take care not to block driveways, mail boxes or hydrants.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik in AK View Post
    I live close enough to walk there,
    We're probably neighbors.

Quote Originally Posted by FL2AK-Old Town View Post
    We're probably neighbors.
    How is the walk out of Oceanview? Waders? Hip boots? I have been badly burned trying to get out to that area. Except after the flats freeze.

If you are planning to hunt there, you may as well drive 45 min further south and hunt Portage area. They are loaded with ducks from what I saw a few days ago. Bud
    Wasilla

Quote Originally Posted by bkbaker View Post
    How is the walk out of Oceanview? Waders? Hip boots? I have been badly burned trying to get out to that area. Except after the flats freeze.
    If you're meaning that park, yeah it's muddy and then deep. I've never actually walk all the way out except in the dead of winter. I always turn back. (Guess I'm a panzy.) Yeah waders for sure.

If you "walk" the obvious trail, wear waders. If you cut right as soon as you cross the tractor tire, you can wear knee boots. It's bushwhacking for the first few yards but you cut one of the east-west trails soon. Watch for moose later in Sept. Last year I met a sizable bull and had to make a wide, wet detour.

From Oceanview park if you take the tracks south about 1/2 mile there's a foot path that drops down to the base of the bluff and runs parallel to the tracks all the way out to Rabbit Creek range. You can access the refuge along there as well.

Quote Originally Posted by akblackdawg View Post
    If you are planning to hunt there, you may as well drive 45 min further south and hunt Portage area. They are loaded with ducks from what I saw a few days ago. Bud
    there are no ducks there. they just fly over the mountains to whittier. or they are at chair five in girdwood
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast