Thread: Ready To Hunt

Default Ready To Hunt

READY TO HUNT!

I am so ready to go hunting this season, I can't wait and four things are essential for me. My rifle, my loads, my side arm and my skinning knife. Everything else just seems to fall in place if I remember these items when leaving for the field (of course some food and water).

Will have my 30-06 and my special load, the 150gr GS HV moving 3086fps along with my side arm and my Benchmade skinning knife (in hunters orange so when I lay it down working I can find it easily). Hope you like the pictures and they put you in the mood.

A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Very nice photos. The GS are very good bullets. Used one to catch my second moose.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Yes, the GS HV has really preformed extremely well for me also. I will be using this 06 (keeping my other rifles in the safe) and this load until I bloody something with it while hunting. This rifle has not dropped game yet, but my other 06's sure have. Thank you Nitroman for the complement about the photos, just getting everyone in the mood if they are not already in the mood. Of course I have been in the mood since last season closed.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Nice BT! This trail cam pic on one of my plot camera's stirs the urge for me!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

can't bring up the picture
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Hmmm, to many gizmos on these computers to match up - good grief... Let me know if'n you can rest your eyeballs on this attempt?Farm Buck 11pt.jpg
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    Hmmm, to many gizmos on these computers to match up - good grief... Let me know if'n you can rest your eyeballs on this attempt?Farm Buck 11pt.jpg
    Smokey, you aught to be excited, that is truly a nice one man.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

I am sighted in with my 150gr GS HV and -5 at 320yds at 330yds cross hairs on top of back just behind the shoulders and good to 420yds and from here on up to 600 I have my cheat sheet on clicks from 250yds zero. What was so cool today in using five rounds to make sure I am 2.42" high at 100yds, three of the five rounds were 3072fps and my average for the day was 3074fps. Very consistent load with low extreme spread and love Standard Deviation. Can't wait to put the cross hairs on something this year.

Happy, Happy, Happy

A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

I always enjoy your enthusiasm BT, and the '06 has done it all around the world for sure...I used it in Africa last year. I'll be heading out in a couple of weeks for ten days of moose hunting...I've been back from my ten day sheep hunt long enough to get some work done, and I'm getting antsy. There was a coolness in the air the other morning. Good luck out there gentlemen.

Yes, good luck to you Doc and there was a real coolness in the air this morning and good luck to you on the moose hunt
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

I am VERY envious Doc, both for the moose hunt and the cool air! It is supposed to be a crisp and cool 77 for a low here tonight - good grief! We are paying for a nice cool first half to August. High temps and no rain have started to do some real damage to Midwest crops....Good Luck on that moose sir and please take some pics! BTW, you didn't say if you are eating fresh sheep or not? Hmmm?

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    I am VERY envious Doc, both for the moose hunt and the cool air! It is supposed to be a crisp and cool 77 for a low here tonight - good grief! We are paying for a nice cool first half to August. High temps and no rain have started to do some real damage to Midwest crops....Good Luck on that moose sir and please take some pics! BTW, you didn't say if you are eating fresh sheep or not? Hmmm?
    No sheep steaks at my house...not for lack of trying. Put-in the time, saw over 60 sheep (at least a quarter to a third were rams), but nothing full-curl...one went 7/8ths (close but no cigar). Back-packed 25+ miles with heavy packs and a whole bunch of elevation. Had a blast and worked hard...even had a half-curl walk 25-30 yards below me when I was on a mountain peak. Just glad I can still do it at 61.

(sorry for the side-track BT...my apologies sir).