Thread: Fishing McDonald's near Seward

Default Fishing McDonald's near Seward

Hey guys,
    I had made a post, a short time ago, about being stranded, for a few days, on a cruise ship in Seward. Was looking for someplace to fish from shore while waiting for the ship to be repaired. I ended up fishing near the culverts in front of the RV park. No luck. While there, I met a guy who said he had fished McDonalds across the bay and said it had two creeks flowing into the bay that were crawling with pinks. I have searched this forum but can't find much about that spot. Can anyone shed any light on fishing that area? I spoke with a taxi driver in Seward and she said she takes fishermen there often and it would cost about $15 for a one way trip plus you have to pay the land owner (assume Mr. McDonald) $5 per person to access the creeks.

Since part of our cruise was cancelled we are being given refunds and we are planning on making the trip again next year. We will get to Seward about 6AM and the ship does not leave until about 8PM so I would have some time to fish on my own.

Any help you can offer will be appreciated.

Charlie

Charlie McDonalds is about 2.5 miles down Nash Rd, just north of Metco on the highway out of town. $15 taxi ride is about right, I think & $5 dollars to access is accurate. You will need waders and snagging gear for catching fish. Snagging is a unique salt water style of fishing. It can not be practiced in fresh water. The tidal schedule is very important factor to be aware of so you do not get caught on a sand bar by the incoming tide. This is a red salmon spot, not pinks.

Charlie, If you want you can contact Hotel Seward or Millers Landing and they can line you up on gear,info, and/or a Guide to fish McDonalds. www.hotelsewardalaska.com/
    Piscor Ergo Sum

Save your pennies and go out on a charter. McDonalds is a meat haul operation with folks throwing lead weighted hooks and lined up shoulder to shoulder when the reds are in. Not the Alaska fishing experience I'd want to remember. You have plenty of time between 6 and when you need to board to go out on a boat that will put you on the fish and give you a great experience. Whales, sea otters, sea lions, Dahl porpoise and Orcas sightings are a bonus and most captains will take the time to get you up close. You've got a year so do it right.

By the way, your ship, the Millennium, also had problems with the same engine coming back up last week and folks got stranded in Ketchikan. They cancelled all the remaining trips up here and are taking the ship to get it fixed in the Bahamas (really). Hope they treated you right and your trip next year is uneventful.

I would recommend a charter vs a snagging trip as well. This is a meat fishery. Us Alaskans gather meat when it is available and sometimes it is not sporting and not a pretty sight for an outsider to witness.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish Witch View Post
    Save your pennies and go out on a charter. McDonalds is a meat haul operation with folks throwing lead weighted hooks and lined up shoulder to shoulder when the reds are in. Not the Alaska fishing experience I'd want to remember. You have plenty of time between 6 and when you need to board to go out on a boat that will put you on the fish and give you a great experience. Whales, sea otters, sea lions, Dahl porpoise and Orcas sightings are a bonus and most captains will take the time to get you up close. You've got a year so do it right.

By the way, your ship, the Millennium, also had problems with the same engine coming back up last week and folks got stranded in Ketchikan. They cancelled all the remaining trips up here and are taking the ship to get it fixed in the Bahamas (really). Hope they treated you right and your trip next year is uneventful.

Quote Originally Posted by Fish Witch View Post

Fish Witch,
    Thanks for the reply and advice.

I was aware that the Millennium had problems when leaving Ketchikan the week after we got off of the ship in Vancouver. In our opinion Celebrity treated us very well. We were doing a back to back cruise so we had sailed from Vancouver to Seward and were able to visit all of the ports along the way and were really looking forward to doing so on the return trip to Vancouver. So, we were blessed and at least got to see the ports on one leg of our trip. Celebrity is giving us a full refund for the south bound portion of our trip, since we did not stop at any ports, plus they are giving us a cruise credit in the amount we paid for the south bound cruise.

Thanks again.

Charlie