Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Moose Reports 2013

Default Moose Reports 2013

Wish I had drawn a Cow tag... DM403 - 6 Cows 2 Calves 1 tweener

I went out during the bow opening and didn't see squat in an area I scouted earlier and saw probably 20.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Saw a spiker on a trailer coming down KGB.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Had a legal double fork bull in my driveway last night(legal to hunt in my area; with rifle as well), 5 HOURS from OPENER! Talk about a itchy trigger finger....Seen a glimpse of him this evening but lost sight of him. He'll be back though and i'm ready for him Pic of bull last night. Had another legal bull(fork) a few weeks ago a few days before archery season in the area.

Quote Originally Posted by blasterak View Post
    Had a legal double fork bull in my driveway last night(legal to hunt in my area; with rifle as well), 5 HOURS from OPENER! Talk about a itchy trigger finger....Seen a glimpse of him this evening but lost sight of him. He'll be back though and i'm ready for him Pic of bull last night. Had another legal bull(fork) a few weeks ago a few days before archery season in the area.

Got room for a tent on your lawn?

Quote Originally Posted by c6 batmobile View Post
    Got room for a tent on your lawn?
    Sorry no vacancy I will say this year has been a very good year for the moose population in this area. Seen lots of cows and new born calves this year. Had 5 moose in my backyard at one time earlier this spring/summer.

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

I saw a herd of bulls a couple of weeks ago. Not sure I am willing to work hard enough to get one, you'd be packing around 14 hours each load. I also saw an opening morning forkie on facebook today.
    My only gear sponsor is the salvation army - Dick Griffith

Quote Originally Posted by scott_rn View Post
    I saw a herd of bulls a couple of weeks ago. Not sure I am willing to work hard enough to get one, you'd be packing around 14 hours each load. I also saw an opening morning forkie on facebook today.
    Thats a lot of packing but I would have been really tempted to walk my butt down there.

Just got home from helping my FIL harvest a nice forkie. Opening day of rifle season and he got it with a bow.

3 generations on the hunt but unfortunately no tripod for a group shot so I will just post up one with the pup and my boys.

Awesome picture and congrats to your F-I-L. Great smiles there LuJon. With that crew how fast will the freezer take a licking?

The wife scored on her first in Alaska. Don't know who was more excited. She is a trooper and helped with the cleaning. Its times like this you learn who are good friends and who are best friends.

Passed on a decent bull yesterday. His "3rd" brow tine was a little to underdeveloped for me. Some I have talked to probably would have taken it but it wasn't worth the risk for me at least. It would have been nice to bag him for my first moose and getting within 30 yards of that monster was really cool. Maybe next week.

We saw lots of cows and calves on our early hunt - this was the only bull we saw. After a long canoe stalk my daughter stayed calm waiting for the perfect shot and as always she was right on. 1 shot to the neck for instant death and a start on filling the freezer. The moose is over her left shoulder in the video - a little hard to see in the deep swamp.

I filled my cow tag in DM402 by 6:30 am opening morning, freezer is full and family is happy..
    Last edited by Ruger357; 08-31-2013 at 23:01. Reason: Spelling

I put another 10+ miles on the ground today and saw nothing but moose poop. Back to the drawing board.

Saw 4 cows and one bull opening evening. Strangely enough the bulls rack looked similar to an elk...no brow tines with a very thin palmation.

Sent from my SCH-R760X using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

Quote Originally Posted by c6 batmobile View Post
    I put another 10+ miles on the ground today and saw nothing but moose poop. Back to the drawing board.
    Finding moose poop or moose tracks can be a mix blessing, in both cases it's best to have the moose standing next to them. Most time the moose is long gone not to return, in other cases the amount of sign where you find it, time of the year and shape of what you find can help you determine if it a bull or cow and where you might find it. It's not real accurate, but if you want to impress a new hunting partner it sure can be fun to tell him what the sign is telling you. Not that I would ever do that. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by scott_rn View Post
    This pic reminds me of an evening flight years ago over around the Mulchatna drainage. I witnessed groups like this in a valley, but they went on for miles and miles...... Needless to say it's still plugged into my GPS but I've never been back. Sad isn't it...???!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
    Finding moose poop or moose tracks can be a mix blessing, in both cases it's best to have the moose standing next to them. Most time the moose is long gone not to return, in other cases the amount of sign where you find it, time of the year and shape of what you find can help you determine if it a bull or cow and where you might find it. It's not real accurate, but if you want to impress a new hunting partner it sure can be fun to tell him what the sign is telling you. Not that I would ever do that. LOL
    I dont have enough hunting knowledge to impress anyone! Im pretty new to this so Im still trying to figure it out. Ill get there eventually I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
    Moose tracks and poop are a sure fire way to tell where moose used to be.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast