Thread: Cessna 150 at Merrill

14 Days to Alaska
    Also available on Kindle and Nook

Yes it does. Seldom works below 800' AGL. Sincere condolences to family and friends.

Sincere condolences to family and friends.
    Amen to that.....another horrible tragedy.

Sounds like the impossible turn.
    I have only seen one person actually make it back to the runway area after an engine failure at low altitude. A local guy in a 206. But he has cobra reflexes... Even then it pancaked pretty bad and smashed in the belly pod and gear. .
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

There have been a few successes posted to youtube. Educational for sure, but they usually were well over 500' when the fan stopped. When I take a Ship Creek departure off runway 25 at Merrill, or actually any departure off Merrill, the options are always on my mind. None of them are particularly savory, but 5th, 4th, and 3rd avenues are the most likely end result, or some of the parking areas down by ship creek. My wife asked about the news article and I described the situatoin. She said it seemed like it would be tough to decide in a split second...and she's right. Definitely good to have mentally briefed the engine-out before liftoff...might make a difference. I try to do that, but I think this may be a good reminder that I need to make it a priority.
    14 Days to Alaska

Troy is right on.
    My instructor made me talk this out several times before takeoffs and landings.
    One thing that really stuck with me is to never leave any runway behind you on takeoff. It aint doing anyone any good back there and with VX to 50 and Vy to cruise alt.
    That could make the differance in being able to make it back or landing in a parking lot.
    Sorry to hear about this, and hope we dont see any more like it for a long long time,

4JB...

Hmm...NTSB says it was on a go-around...

http://www.adn.com/2013/08/25/304229...r-aborted.html
    14 Days to Alaska

What the FAA initial site says now.. Does anyone know where it impacted..??? An overhead photo would sure help me visualize this...

24-AUG-13
    Time: 23:40:00Z
    Regis#: N18699
    Aircraft Make: CESSNA
    Aircraft Model: 150
    Event Type: Accident
    Highest Injury: Fatal
    Aircraft Missing:
    Damage: Unknown
    State: Alaska
    DESCRIPTION
    Description: AIRCRAFT ON APPROACH TO LAND, CRASHED OFF THE DEPARTURE END OF THE RUNWAY, THE 2 PERSONS ON BOARD WERE FATALLY INJURED, MERRILL FIELD, ANCHORAGE, ALASKA

Behind Alaska Sales & Service, right? One of their sales guys jumped the fence to get to them.

Alex-

The image below is based strictly on what ADN reported:

"Witnesses described seeing the Cessna 150-L flying west as it climbed after takeoff from Merrill's longest runway around 3:30 p.m., then hearing the engine cut out."

"The plane turned back to the left towards the airport, Tadique said, but then quickly lost altitude and plunged nose-first into the grass just south of the runway's westernmost end."

Slide1.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Henny View Post

Alex-

The image below is based strictly on what ADN reported:

"Witnesses described seeing the Cessna 150-L flying west as it climbed after takeoff from Merrill's longest runway around 3:30 p.m., then hearing the engine cut out."

"The plane turned back to the left towards the airport, Tadique said, but then quickly lost altitude and plunged nose-first into the grass just south of the runway's westernmost end."

Slide1.jpg
    Looking at the photos and video from KTUU, I would put the location just about at the end of the runway, if not slightly to the north of the end of the runway between the western-most end and the car dealership building. In the photos, you can clearly see the building and the sign in the background, so you can use that as a reference. In the video, you can see that and see that they are videoing from behind a chain link fence behind a row of airplanes that can be seen in the Google Earth shot. I know they said he started turning left, but I can't see anywhere to the "left" of the runway that fits the angles in the photos of the crash.

Maybe he thought he could make it to runway 16...
    Whenever I go out of Merrill I really worry about finding a place to go in case I flame out at low altitude...
    It would be my luck to live through the crash and then be killed by a car...