Thread: George Lake mountain goat hunt

Default George Lake mountain goat hunt

Planning on my first mountain goat trip with a good buddy that's flying us out next month. Any good hints, advice or anything useful would be most appreciated. Been successful this year with a black bear June 9th and a moose opening bow season.. Would really like to bag another big game animal. Thanks
    2005 Weldcraft 24' Ocean King
    Keepin R' Wet
    Wasilla, AK

Take crampons and an ice axe for self arrest. Steep wet grassy slopes are treacherous.

Brett

Default Lake George goats

Lots of goats in there, some are difficult to get to, the rest are more challenging. Time of year and terrain a bit different than for black bear and moose. Weather during goat season esp. up in Lake George region can get from real nasty to much worse. The good days when they occure are beautiful. Be prepared for rain, lots of fog and snow. Good Luck there are some really big billies in there.
    "Actions speak louder than words - 'nough said"

Well thanks for the info. Ill take all of them in all seriousness and use them to help further prep for this hunt. Really appreciate it
    2005 Weldcraft 24' Ocean King
    Keepin R' Wet
    Wasilla, AK

Don't forget the alders!!! If you clb up or down try to do it by a gorge or ravine at there's there you might have a goat trail to use.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

We harvested a LOT of goats in the Lake George area before it went to permit, and never climbed one step. We would wait till Whiteout Lake froze then land around the corner late in the afternoon. We would take split firewood in with us and have a nice campfire in the crisp November air. At very first light we would walk around the corner and the goats would be almost down to the lake.

We did not even field dress them, just break camp, land on the lake, taxi right up to the goats, load two goats into each plane and return to Birchwood or Firelake if we were on skies.

I have never climbed for a goat, harvested many goats up behind Valdez in the early 70's by driving out mineral creek road/trail, sleep in my VW Bug, harvest two just above the road, I think the longest shot was maybe 30 yards. They would roll down to the road, those I would field dress, but one under the hood and one on top of the hood.

It's not a wonder that goats are so heavily regulated these days.......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Well, you can't regulate the number of humans moving to The Great State of Alaska.
    Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    It's not a wonder that goats are so heavily regulated these days.......