Thread: Boot Country

Default Boot Country

I bought a pair of Lowa's from them a couple of weeks ago. Try as I may to break them in they were just a tad tight, especially the left foot. (Could of had something to do with dropping a 2x12x16' Doug Fir plank from 14' up and smashing the foot that never got fixed.) So I took them in yesterday to see if they could stretch them. Sure, can do. I went back to pick them up, money in hand to pay for the work. Nope, free, no charge. Great to see a small company doing great customer service. I am starting to believe that even though the costs might be higher at locally owned business, the service is much better as is the knowledge of the products.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

I buy my work boots there every year. They give me a slope workers discount with my company ID.
    The company I work for gives me $160 a year for boots. The ones I like are more expensive than that but with the discount fall within the range that they will pay.
    They are a good company to deal with for sure.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

They are indeed a great place to do business with - so is the Red Wing shop.

Diveinthebush-were they able to make them a bit wider? Are you talking about the Lowa sheephunter boots? I heard that widening them would ruin these boots but I would gladly let them try if they can do it.

The problem with many local retailers (Boot Country included) is that you can't rely on them to have anything in stock. The last 2 times I bought hunting boots I ended up buying them online after driving all over town looking for them.

The OP's testimony provides good reason to patronize Boot Country when feasible though.

All Lowas have a 60 day money back guarantee, no questions asked. I found this out when they gave me the wrong size on my hunters and they swapped them even though I wore them for a couple days outside. Excellent boots btw.

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    I bought a pair of Lowa's from them a couple of weeks ago. Try as I may to break them in they were just a tad tight, especially the left foot. (Could of had something to do with dropping a 2x12x16' Doug Fir plank from 14' up and smashing the foot that never got fixed.) So I took them in yesterday to see if they could stretch them. Sure, can do. I went back to pick them up, money in hand to pay for the work. Nope, free, no charge. Great to see a small company doing great customer service. I am starting to believe that even though the costs might be higher at locally owned business, the service is much better as is the knowledge of the products.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronster View Post
    All Lowas have a 60 day money back guarantee, no questions asked. I found this out when they gave me the wrong size on my hunters and they swapped them even though I wore them for a couple days outside. Excellent boots btw.

Does this mean small stores will take them back directly? or do you have to go through Lowa?

Quote Originally Posted by Meanderthal View Post
    The problem with many local retailers (Boot Country included) is that you can't rely on them to have anything in stock. The last 2 times I bought hunting boots I ended up buying them online after driving all over town looking for them.

The OP's testimony provides good reason to patronize Boot Country when feasible though.
    It usually makes a world of difference to call in advance. Just to make sure they have your brand/size in stock.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronster View Post
    After further investigation I found this on their site.

Poor or improper fit is not considered a valid warranty item. LOWA cannot warranty fit for any reason. Please try on your boots with the socks you intend to wear and walk around indoors to make sure that your new boots fit the way you want them to. Please do not remove any tags or labels until you are ready to keep your boots. Once a boot is worn, it cannot be returned to either your LOWA Dealer or LOWA.

Quote Originally Posted by shimano 33 View Post
    Does this mean small stores will take them back directly? or do you have to go through Lowa?
    I took mine back to the store after a week of wearing them and they took the back, no questions asked. Beaver sports in Fairbanks

Quote Originally Posted by shimano 33 View Post
    . Once a boot is worn, it cannot be returned to either your LOWA Dealer or LOWA.
    I know that is an industry standard, but that is absolutely ridiculous. Problems with footwear don't usually show up in the first ten minutes of walking on a carpeted floor.

Speaking of which, I have a pair of Lowa Renegades and they are the first and last Lowas I'll ever own. Bought mine at REI and the sides blew out in less than a year. REI let me exchange them (thankfully) and now, less than six mos later, the soles are falling off. I don't even wear them every day. Only since my last visit, REI dumped their no question asked return policy, so I'm stuck with them. $220 flushed away, and for a year or so of use. Won't be shopping at REI much anymore.

Glad to hear people are getting good service there. I on the other hand, have never gotten ANY help from them. I have stopped in a few times and the staff has refused to recognize my being there and refused to help. I personally won't go back..
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

I wore Lowa for a long time. They are great. Long lasting, and comfortable.

A few years back a mountaineering guide buddy turned me onto Scarpa boots. I bought a pair of the Liskamm model from a local shop and have been wearing them for 4 seasons now when I go into the backcountry. Best boots I have ever owned for getting way out there and not having to ever worry about cold or wet feet. (Unless you really happen to "step in it" . )

I would definately buy Lowas again, but for right now I am still trying to wear out the Scarpas. So far about 500 miles in snowshoes, and twice that on the ground and I think I have them just about broken in.

Very Good Business. I get all my boots there too.
    If you think you're free, there's no escape possible.

Just to follow up, I took a new pair of Hanwag Trapper Elites (same as Lowa Sheephunters) to Boot Country in Anchorage to get widened. They did a great job and it only cost $30.

Just to add my own follow-up, I took those Lowa boots, referenced in an earlier post in this thread, to Boot Country last week. They re bonded the soles and replaced the heels entirely. $37 and they had them done in less than a week. The new heels look, to my untrained eye, to be better quality than the ones that came on the boots. Regardless, $37 is a sight better than the $220 it would have cost to replace them. (Not that I'll ever buy another pair of Lowas, but that's an entirely different discussion.)