Thread: Cook inlet halibut. What a change from last year!

Default Cook inlet halibut. What a change from last year!

I finally have a few minutes and wanted to post on the huge change we saw in the halibut this year compared to last year. Last year most of the fish we caught were very thin and skinny with some less than good looking fillets. This year they were all fat plump fish and they seemed to run bigger. The fish we caught this year weighed far more per inch than last year. We caught these out of Deep Creek and only went out 8 miles. The water was a bit lumpy and 2 of the 5 of us were chumming so we did not spend a lot of time sorting. I am always thankful that I don't get seasick! The big one here was 37lbs. The fillets we got off of the fish this year were thick and looked spectacular compared to last year. Also many of the fish we caught had guts full of small fish where last year they were empty or had crabs in them. I hope the trend continues. A good forage base is the key to any fishery and it seems like this year they have a lot to eat.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Cook inlet halibut. What a change from last year!

I noticed the same thing in Prince William Sound this year. Very good looking fish.

Congrats on the improved fishing. I didn't fish homer near as much this year as i normally do and i can't say i noticed much of a difference, although we didn't catch any of the jelly flesh fish there this year. I switched to seward for bottom fishing this year with satisfactory results.

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

I've heard similar reports of Cook Inlet halibut this year. Much healthier fish. Hopefully that is a good sign that more feed is becoming available for them. Also heard the bite has been a little trickier this year some days, which is hopefully another sign that they're full and being a little more picky.

I have hit Homer twice this year. I see the same, fatter fish full of bait. Might be hope yet for the buttskis. They were not picky when we were there. Bang bang bang. More time driving than fishing. That's a good thing. }:>
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Charterboat Operator

The fish this year are definitly healthier, though i dont know if i would say any bigger. BUT one thing to think of, last year i took several fish in to F&G and they performed complete neurocropsy's (sp?) said that the fish were stressed from "competition for food". causing there unhealthyness.
    now i am no biologist by any means, but has anyone else noticed the lack of pacific grey cod this year? i know a couple of the jig guys commercially fishing this spring that were really struggeling, and though i have only been fishing since April, the entire summer has been VERY lax in the cod fishery, at least in comparrison to the last couple of years.
    this year we never had a day over about 15-20 cod and the average would really nly be 3-4 per day, last year 20 cod days were prevalent with some up way over that. fewer cod and very nice healthy halibut, really makes you wonder doesn't it?

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by POLE BENDER View Post
    The fish this year are definitly healthier, though i dont know if i would say any bigger. BUT one thing to think of, last year i took several fish in to F&G and they performed complete neurocropsy's (sp?) said that the fish were stressed from "competition for food". causing there unhealthyness.
    now i am no biologist by any means, but has anyone else noticed the lack of pacific grey cod this year? i know a couple of the jig guys commercially fishing this spring that were really struggeling, and though i have only been fishing since April, the entire summer has been VERY lax in the cod fishery, at least in comparrison to the last couple of years.
    this year we never had a day over about 15-20 cod and the average would really nly be 3-4 per day, last year 20 cod days were prevalent with some up way over that. fewer cod and very nice healthy halibut, really makes you wonder doesn't it?
    Interesting! Now that I think of it, we did 8 halibut trips this year, mostly out of Seward and caught a grand total of one cod all year. Also caught very few arrow tooth and zero dogfish all year. Not sure what all that means, but we wouldn't have minded a few cod.