Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Missing Sheep Hunter

Unhappy Missing Sheep Hunter

I have heard that a sheep hunter is missing in the Wrangells. He was supposedly successful and called his wife that he had taken a sheep but that it had fallen into a very tricky place. He was going to go down after it. He hasn't been heard from for five days. Let's hope he is ok and everything works out well.

The key thing is that for you young hunters- your life is worth more than any trophy.

Sincerely,
    Thomas

Prayers sent for the missing and his loved ones.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

This doesn't sound good seeing that he has the ability to call and hasn't.....dead battery maybe? And I will keep a positive outlook that he is ok.......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kaboku68 View Post
    I have heard that a sheep hunter is missing in the Wrangells. He was supposedly successful and called his wife that he had taken a sheep but that it had fallen into a very tricky place. He was going to go down after it. He hasn't been heard from for five days. Let's hope he is ok and everything works out well.

The key thing is that for you young hunters- your life is worth more than any trophy.

Sincerely,
    Thomas
    Big bummer. Lets hope this turns out OK but 5 days is a long time. I would suspect somebody will be checking on this if not already. Even for the most experienced guide and hunter Alaska can and will turn on you in a second. Everyone be safe out there. As Thomas has said no animal is worth your life.
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

Hope he is ok. Do you know if he was alone? Let us know if you hear anything more.

Lost a friend that way in Haines years ago. He was in full view from the highway but imposable to recover,very sad.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

With the mention of some kind of communications I wonder is a trace is possible for that call or message? What's the status of the search?

Best of luck and prayers sent.

Brett

Scary stuff. Hope it turns out OK.

I watched the medivac helicopter pull someone out of the valley below us this year while sheep hunting. We were working around the mountain and over a pass. We passed above the two guys camp so we didn't get close enough to stop by and talk to them on the way by. Next thing we know we hear a helicopter. Through the binos the medics were focused on vitals as opposed to a knee or ankle so it could have been any number of medical issues. The hunter walked to the helicopter on his own which is always a good sign. Hope he's doing alright.

Why I don't recommend sheep or goat hunting solo ... even tho I have done same when younger and more foolish and fortunately got away with it. I guess that is a sort of "do as I say ... not as I do (or done!)" Sure hope all is OK with hunter, but definately cause for concern.
    "Actions speak louder than words - 'nough said"

Any new info on this guy? I feel really bad about the situation.

We are going in on Saturday morning so I will pass info when we come back out.

I'll ask the question that I'm sure more people than just me are thinking. At this point, given the circumstances as stated in this thread, why is it that the hunter's wife, family or friends hasn't contacted search and rescue assets? Maybe they have and it just hasn't yet been posted here yet. But given the circumstances it seems like it would be appropriate to do so at this time.

The hunter has or had a form of communication, with which they were able to communicate that they'd taken a sheep and that they had to go into a difficult situation to recover the animal. There has not been any communication since. That in itself is a red flag to me. Also that it has likely been 7 days since they've been heard from (based upon when Thomas posted this and the information in his post) is another major red flag. Unless they have a cabin or based camp they are working out of it seems that they would have returned from the field by now.

It seems to me that it would be now very appropriate to alert the authorities. Heck it wouldn't surprise me if the Park Service has a helicopter in the area flying around checking hunters anyways. They stopped to check us a few years ago in the Wrangells.

Anyone else thinking this too? I really really hope that this turns out to be a false alarm and that the hunter is ok.

I don't know what you know about Dall Sheep hunting. And I mean NO disrespect to you, SIR; However at this point the odds are that his body temperature is the exact same as the Dall Sheep he harvested. It is just a wild guess, However I would put the chance of his recovery alive at less than 5%, and the odds of his body ever being recovered at about 15% or less.

Hunters get all orgasmic about someone harvesting a huge Brown Bear, but the truth is that the risk to a hunter is vastly higher by a massive amount on a Alaskan Mountain Goat or Dall Sheep hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by bairdi View Post
    I'll ask the question that I'm sure more people than just me are thinking. At this point, given the circumstances as stated in this thread, why is it that the hunter's wife, family or friends hasn't contacted search and rescue assets? Maybe they have and it just hasn't yet been posted here yet. But given the circumstances it seems like it would be appropriate to do so at this time.

The hunter has or had a form of communication, with which they were able to communicate that they'd taken a sheep and that they had to go into a difficult situation to recover the animal. There has not been any communication since. That in itself is a red flag to me. Also that it has likely been 7 days since they've been heard from (based upon when Thomas posted this and the information in his post) is another major red flag. Unless they have a cabin or based camp they are working out of it seems that they would have returned from the field by now.

It seems to me that it would be now very appropriate to alert the authorities. Heck it wouldn't surprise me if the Park Service has a helicopter in the area flying around checking hunters anyways. They stopped to check us a few years ago in the Wrangells.

Anyone else thinking this too? I really really hope that this turns out to be a false alarm and that the hunter is ok.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Hunters get all orgasmic about someone harvesting a huge Brown Bear, but the truth is that the risk to a hunter is vastly higher by a massive amount on a Alaskan Mountain Goat or Dall Sheep hunt.
    I think this is a very good observation. On one of my very few bear hunts, the only real hazard to my person was my partner's sloppy gun handling- the bears in the area were avoiding us with determination.

On my sheep hunts I'm 2 for 4 on coming home hurt. On a sheep hunt everything tries to kill you it seems.

Praying the best for the sheep hunter in the beginning of the thread...and the same for the rest of them for good measure.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

As a guy who is honestly terrified of heights my affinity for Ovis Dalli has lead me into areas that have made the hair on the back of my neck stand on end. I have had the ground crumble under my feet and send me skidding 30' down a scree chute only to self arrest a mere 20' from a cliffs edge. I have had 30lb rocks dislodge hundreds of feet above me come down like a wrecking ball and wiz past me while I scrambled for cover. All that said I consider myself a very cautious sheep hunter and I carefully weigh every risk but sometimes the odds no matter how much you try to swing them in your favor just don't work out.

I pray that this hunter simply has a communication equipment failure but sadly it doesn't seem very promising at this point.

This is why I get soooo frustrated when I hear how sheep hunting is not dangerous.. My mentor to the sheep world once chased a dead critter over the edge and on his way down 2000 feet he broke his back in a few places and layed on the side of the mountain for a few days waiting for help. In my younger dumber days I took a chance and fell off a face about 30 feet or so and busted my skull open a bit and a few fingers and rolled to the edge of a cliff..
    Please please don't any of you don't take chances out there it's better to come home empty handed..

I have been following this thread with the highest of hopes for this hunters safe return I do believe it possible for him to survive and will continue to hold that hope.

AGL4now- I know my way around a mountain and completely realize the risks. May not be as experienced as some but I'm not new to chasing sheep or goats either. Yes it is true, you might be right, if something has happened and there hasn't been communication yet, the odds aren't good, but it seems like the hunter deserves the benefit of the doubt that even if he was injured he still could be alive but non-ambulatory or with any luck its just a comms failure. Anyways, like I said before I hope this ends with a good outcome. My thoughts are with him and his family and friends.

It seems interesting that this doesn't appear to be on the news or anything. Has this incident actually been confirmed? I have been on searches where things were overlooked because information did not getted passed because collectively everyone "thought" it was common knowledge.

I'm not sure who specifically you are making reference to, however if it is the missing sheep hunter from the Chitna are he has been found. He was pulled out by the troopers search and rescue team and all is well. I spoke to him today. Again not sure if we are talking about the same guy but it sounds like his story. Just stumbled on the thread and thought I would share.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast