Thread: Any new reports from Eureka area

Default Any new reports from Eureka area

Looking at heading up around that area any updates

Caribou sparse in the area.

A group from work just got back from there. 1 bou out of 5 hunters. They said they only saw 8 the entire week.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Any more reports would be great, heading up there on the 2nd for a few days prior to my moose hunt and just wondering if it was worth the shot or if they have been pushed back too far.

Quote Originally Posted by slickwilly30 View Post
    Any more reports would be great, heading up there on the 2nd for a few days prior to my moose hunt and just wondering if it was worth the shot or if they have been pushed back too far.
    I have a friend who came back 2 weekends ago with 2 caribou and a moose. Said he goes way back away from the crowd. Unfortunately also heard that it was really thick with inexperienced hunters. Advice being passed around was to wear blaze orange and be on guard because of all the people shooting recklessly. Be safe out there

It has been whacked by yeti
    I have such a hard time trying to decide which outdoor activity to do every chance I get!! Living in AK is a mental challenge

We just got back from a few days way back in there. We saw a lot of bou along the trail 5 miles up the Little Nelchina. But most of them were way back near Yako Creek trail. The bou are scarse but still plenty around. We didn't get one although we had a few chances. We did take a great looking 5 ft Griz though.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

How were the creek/river crossings, I will be by myself so didn't want to take any chances, will most likely be spending a few days in the Yacko Creek area. Hope to see something.

Quote Originally Posted by slickwilly30 View Post
    How were the creek/river crossings, I will be by myself so didn't want to take any chances, will most likely be spending a few days in the Yacko Creek area. Hope to see something.
    The water crossings are extremely dangerous... I wouldn't recommend it..

OK, you talked me out of it, just gonna stay home and watch tv, drink beer and eat some chips on the couch. **** water crossings.....

Lol. The water crossings are easy. Very low water in that area. The little Nelchina came up a foot or so Friday then back to normal the next morning. Very dry area this year. Good luck out there
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Besides wearing blaze orange, tying orange flagging tape to the antlers while packing them out isn't a bad idea either. Definitely not a place to be using a caribou decoy
    "Grin and Bear It"

Just got back from two days out there. Only saw cows and calves. We had to go in about 36 miles before we started seeing them.
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

Heading out there this weekend to try to fill a cow moose tag(DM325) my dad has. I was out there two weekends ago at little nel. I saw a handful of caribou there a few weeks ago but no moose, but that whole area is new territory for me. I'm looking for grizz myself since i'm no the one with the cow moose tag.

Quote Originally Posted by blasterak View Post
    Heading out there this weekend to try to fill a cow moose tag(DM325) my dad has. I was out there two weekends ago at little nel. I saw a handful of caribou there a few weeks ago but no moose, but that whole area is new territory for me. I'm looking for grizz myself since i'm no the one with the cow moose tag.
    My buddies said they saw several cow moose up there.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

We crossed the Big O and glassed for awhile and seen nothing. All day seen a total of 5 Bou, cows and calves. Did see cow moose and bears though
    Ignorance is not Bliss, it's insanity