Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shooting question

Default Shooting question

I read the regs pretty thoroughly and just want to make sure Im not missing something. We are getting ready to embark on a moose hunt. We plan on hunting off the road but are using one to get there. I know the regs state must be off the drive-able surface to shoot. Is there any thing that stipulates how far off a trail you need to be to shoot?

Thanks in advance.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

As long as you aren't standing on the road or shoulder you should be good.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Interesting question. A couple years back I saw three trucks in a paved pull off of the Denali highway firing off the hoods of their vehicles at a herd of caribou too far off to hit. Valid question is this the drive able surface of the road? They didn't seem to think so. I wouldn't have done it cause it seemed drive able to me. Trails are legal cause they are not roads as long as you turn your vehicle off and aren't herding or pursuing game.
    “I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. “ Fred Bear

If you question yourself when you are ready you are probably in the wrong. Jerry Clawer said years ago, if you have to ask, if you are worried someone is watching and can you thank god for the what you are about to do. The question in my mind is if its that easy are you hunting? If you are shooting from, on, or across your truck is it not a drivable surface. (not looking for sarcastic answers from those who drive in the bush)

Trail has no designated shooting distance. Unless specifically specified in the regs, you can shoot from a trail, no problem.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Quote Originally Posted by Fergy View Post
    If you question yourself when you are ready you are probably in the wrong. Jerry Clawer said years ago, if you have to ask, if you are worried someone is watching and can you thank god for the what you are about to do. The question in my mind is if its that easy are you hunting? If you are shooting from, on, or across your truck is it not a drivable surface. (not looking for sarcastic answers from those who drive in the bush)
    I dont plan on shooting from my truck or road. Just wanted to make sure I didn't have to be 1/2 mile or so like certain hunts require because I am using a rifle. We will be well away from the established road on a dirt road. Just wanted to make sure if I see a moose out in a pasture say 100 yds from the road I can put a stalk on it and possibly kill it.

Thanks for all the replies.

C6 no offense to your question. Does not matter gun or ???. Drivable surface stops at the ditch meaning if you are past the run off of the water you are no longer on the support of the road (not considering flooding or over flow) and can shoot. My response was to the individual shooting from a paved pull off. If you are off the down slope of the road I do not think you will have an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Fergy View Post
    C6 no offense to your question. Does not matter gun or ???. Drivable surface stops at the ditch meaning if you are past the run off of the water you are no longer on the support of the road (not considering flooding or over flow) and can shoot. My response was to the individual shooting from a paved pull off. If you are off the down slope of the road I do not think you will have an issue.

I understand. I really just want to cover my basis. There are a lot of rules to cover here and I do not like to be wrong especially if it could cost me money or my hunting license. I appreciate the input and helping me understand the regs a littler better.

Could someone point out the level definition of "drivable surface" I guess I always considered if I'm off the pavement I'm good (this is mostly dealing with grouse) I've said if you can't take a Prius on it, it ain't drivable.

Quote Originally Posted by c6 batmobile View Post
    ....Is there any thing that stipulates how far off a trail you need to be to shoot?

Thanks in advance.
    The answer is no.

However, you are responsible for making sure you're not on private land which included Native Corporation land. There are a lot of 50ft easements that got through Native land and technically you could stand on, and shoot an animal on the easement but if he steps off it and dies then you have to trespass to retrieve him.

There are laws regarding discharging a firearm say near a campground. Some stipulate like no shooting 1/4 or 1/2 mile from the park boundary. Others are not stipulated.

Just make sure you know about the area you are hunting.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again

My buddy just made a big deal about this and asked a trooper last week. The answer to him was any part of the road you could drive on, including the shoulder however wide. If you are in the ditch, then you are not on a driveable surface.

Quote Originally Posted by Daved View Post
    My buddy just made a big deal about this and asked a trooper last week. The answer to him was any part of the road you could drive on, including the shoulder however wide. If you are in the ditch, then you are not on a driveable surface.

Yep.............Don
    Forgive me for being arrogant. I own 2 Drahthaar's.
    Tundramoor Drahthaar Kennel. Training Versatile Dogs because we hunt it all.
    Memeber of the Alaska Warterfowl Association.

I think there is a distance requirement for trails in the chugach state park. I dont know about any where else though.

Quote Originally Posted by c6 batmobile View Post
    We will be well away from the established road on a dirt road.
    Understand that even if it's not paved, a gravel "road" is still considered a legal road. A road is different than a trail.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Reg actually says that you may not "shoot on, from, or across the driveable surface of any constructed road or highway". If they moved gravel to make the "road", then don't shoot while either you or the game is on the road and don't shoot over it. If you are even one inch off the driveable surface, you are good, but just make it blatent... go to the edge of the road, and take a big step into vegetation on the same side that the animal is on and you're good to go.

As to "trails", realize that there are trails that are the remains of previously "contructed roads" from days gone by. Why not be safe and take a step off the trail before you shoot? Again, there is no distance requirement as to how far "off road" you should be. An inch is as good as a mile.

If you're standing on vegetation, you'll never have to get into the argument about whether this is a "constructed road" or not. Seems like a pretty simple fix.

Don't forget that ADF&G have a bunch of decoys with officers who have nothing better to do than set them up on a contructed road and hide in the bushes waiting for the next guy to shoot off the hood of his truck. Yes, a roadside pull out is part of the driveable surface of a constructed road.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

We are going to be pretty far away from the highway so gravel and pavement aren't really a concern. Its a dirt road and I am going to make dang sure Im well off of it for sure. I was more or less curious about the 1/2 mile restriction that some hunts have on them. I know for a fact like some have stated chugach has 1/4 mile restrictions etc. I didnt see any like that for the unit I am visiting so I wanted to cover my basis in case I get lucky and spot something on my 40 mile trek into the bush that was close to the trail.

Take a shotgun for birds, got lucky on some ptarmigan I spotted from the road on the way home from my sheep hunt. Parked the truck then took a short walk and ended up getting a couple birds, and they were delicious!
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post
    Take a shotgun for birds, got lucky on some ptarmigan I spotted from the road on the way home from my sheep hunt. Parked the truck then took a short walk and ended up getting a couple birds, and they were delicious!
    Thanks for reminding me! I love cooking up stuff I shoot on the trail at camp. Squirrel rabbit birds its all good! Ill make sure I toss it in the truck.

Quote Originally Posted by AKducks View Post
    Could someone point out the level definition of "drivable surface" I guess I always considered if I'm off the pavement I'm good (this is mostly dealing with grouse) I've said if you can't take a Prius on it, it ain't drivable.
    on of the forum members got busted for this a few years ago, how i see it, you have the be across the ditch, and not on any part of the pavement gravel sand or what ever makes or suppers the actual drivable surface, with most roads there is a ditch, get across the lowest part and you are ready to rock and roll, legally. corrections?
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

If in doubt, walk further out.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast