Thread: silvers on the kenai

Default silvers on the kenai

anyone catching silvers on the kenai? floating this weekend for bows and wanted to do some silver fishing as well....anyone had luck on the upper or middle river this year?

Few miles up from Sterling has been good. Lower river was slow during the week.

Will the silver still in the river couple week from now?

There should be silvers in two weeks all up and down the Kenai. You will have to put in some time and effort.

Quote Originally Posted by Texfish View Post
    Will the silver still in the river couple week from now?

The Middle Kenai has been fishing very well for silvers.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

FishGod, is that swinging flies, flipping for them like reds, or throwing hardware? I'm headed that way for a couple days. Bringing fly gear, flipping gear, and a spinning rod. I've been up for the reds, and am familiar with that deal. Last year I picked up one silver doing that, but I'd like to be a little more on target this time around. Any advice is appreciated, thank you.

Forgive my ignorance, but generally speaking as the season goes on the Silvers migrate further up the Kenai, correct?

Correct, they migrate up the river. However, they spawn in both the middle and upper rivers and in many tributaries. There are also two runs- one in August and one which begins in Sept. and continues all winter into March and even April. The early fish are primarily tributary spawners and the later fish are probably all mainstem spawners which take advantage of warmer waters coming from the lakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefisher View Post
    FishGod, is that swinging flies, flipping for them like reds, or throwing hardware? I'm headed that way for a couple days. Bringing fly gear, flipping gear, and a spinning rod. I've been up for the reds, and am familiar with that deal. Last year I picked up one silver doing that, but I'd like to be a little more on target this time around. Any advice is appreciated, thank you.
    Swinging flies, stripping flies in "frog water", eggs on the bottom, eggs under a slip bobber, casting spinners and spoons in "frog water", back trolling eggs, quick fish, wiggle warts etc. Flipping can pick up silvers, but it's not the most effective method. Lately, back trolling quick fish has produced more silvers than bait, at least in the middle river.

FG, Thanks for the response. I'll be wading, so back trolling is probably not an option for me, nor drifting eggs. I guess I'll be swinging flies and my spingear partner will be throwing metal. Now I just have to find this mysterious "frogwater". Do you know where I can buy some?

Quote Originally Posted by Firefisher View Post
    FG, Thanks for the response. I'll be wading, so back trolling is probably not an option for me, nor drifting eggs. I guess I'll be swinging flies and my spingear partner will be throwing metal. Now I just have to find this mysterious "frogwater". Do you know where I can buy some?
    Florida translation would be "slack water".

Quote Originally Posted by FishGod View Post
    Florida translation would be "slack water".
    Ha ha ha... Watch out for Gators, they look a little different here, brown instead of green, a little taller and they spend a little less time in the water...