Thread: little su parks to burma

Default little su parks to burma

I was thinking of a canoe float hunt for a moose, bear of either kind, ducks, fishing and so on depending on what came my way. but at the time I am by myself it will be after the first and its just a regular lil coleman canoe. with the water level as high as it is and as fast im realy contanplating the trip. there will be very little places for stops other then in the bushes, new log jams, and massive sweepers! any advice as I am a very experience canoe user and great at swimming lol. im just not sure if I would be getting into something I should as I have never ran it at over 1400cfs let alone myself over maybe 2000cfs.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by troutslayer View Post
    I was thinking of a canoe float hunt for a moose, bear of either kind, ducks, fishing and so on depending on what came my way. but at the time I am by myself it will be after the first and its just a regular lil coleman canoe. with the water level as high as it is and as fast im realy contanplating the trip. there will be very little places for stops other then in the bushes, new log jams, and massive sweepers! any advice as I am a very experience canoe user and great at swimming lol. im just not sure if I would be getting into something I should as I have never ran it at over 1400cfs let alone myself over maybe 2000cfs.
    Sounds like a good way to get rid of a bunch of expensive gear!!!!

Not much room left for a big bull, or large bear in a lil Coleman canoe, along with you and your gear...I think I would want a bigun....two biguns would be better....
    "Grin and Bear It"

Quote Originally Posted by troutslayer View Post
    ...I am by myself it will be after the first and its just a regular lil coleman canoe....
    Sure you can't persuade someone else to do the trip with you?
    "Grin and Bear It"

There are always people on here looking to go hunt with somebody, should be able to find somebody to go with you that doesn't have a lot of common sense. Thats a bit harsh on my part I think. There are many a moose that have been shot and carried out by people in single canoes. River level should drop fast, before the rains of this week it looked quite low when crossing it at the parks, rains must have brought it up, but it will drop if the rain stops like they are calling for.

Be sure you check on the Houston boundries, if you leave the Parks area, Houston limits go quite a distance down river, and shooting illegal within the limits. Sure you don't want to shoot a $1000 moose. Bud
    Wasilla

unfortunately I don't think the rivers dropping for a while now. I do know all the regs on the area as I definatly will not and never have gotten a ticket before. knowledge is power!! but I think its realy a blown out trip now. I would take my one man pontoon raft but it isn't hauling gear or a moose. I think hikeing is in my near future and hopefuly with a huge exercise routine of packing meat. and no one I know can go and I would realy enjoy meeting and knowing someone before a trip like that which is not going to happen in this time frame I don't think but who knows. I am welcome to people contacting me to go on a real man power only hunt if they realy want to and would be nice as well to find a few friends for the sort. im younge and maybe dumb!! but very good at it.

I just finished floating this section of river the weekend of the 17th in a 15ft tandem royalex with the girlfriend fishing the whole time up front. I could of easily done it solo and a friend of mine was with us in a heavily loaded solo kayak that was pretty much self-contained for the trip although we had to carry his fish/beer. The recent floods have dug out the river and produced a lot of great gravel bars and firewood for camping. There is allot of debris in the river but most of it is stacked on the banks with the exception of a few new sweepers. I would say the recent flood last fall has cleaned out and widened the river if anything. The only complaint we had was that there was not enough water for the newly widened river. There was 5ft at the Parks Bridge at the time of the trip and it is back down to 6.5 as of today http://water.weather.gov/ahps2/hydro...afc&gage=lsha2. We limited out on silvers quickly (had to drink lots of beer quickly to make room in the cooler) but I was hoping to find lots of moose in the area for filling my tag the following month and was disappointed to only see one yearling during the 3 day trip. Black bears on the other hand were everywhere along the river once you got passed the Nancy Lake Rec area. It was a fishing/scouting trip so I only had a pistol for protection but I was glad I had it because we had a black bear visit our camp while we were in the middle of supper the 2nd night and I was the only one that ended up getting any sleep that night. Great trip for a black bear but I think I will be looking elsewhere for a moose this year.

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

I'm sure a lot of it depends on your skill level too. I have a friend who shot a moose on that river, floated it out with a canoe and another guy. He said there was only about two inches of freeboard on the way out. He has also done it with two canoes lashed together.

Conversly, I've heard of people losing all their gear on that river. It wouldn't be my first choice for a moose hunt, mostly because I think the moose population got hammered by the winter two years ago.
    My only gear sponsor is the salvation army - Dick Griffith

I floated it twice in august. The first time i was with my 3 year old daughter and had no problems. The second time me and a buddy floated it in my canoe and i was not paying attention to the river trying to take a few casts and i didnt notice a log hanging out over the river about 2 feet off the surface. My end of the canoe was swept under the log and i took it across the chest and was thrown out of the canoe. Somehow the canoe managed to stay upright. I would definitely reccomend tieing down your gear in case you do flip. Luckily all i lost was my cheap cell phone.

Quote Originally Posted by marklarAK View Post
    I just finished floating this section of river the weekend of the 17th in a 15ft tandem royalex with the girlfriend fishing the whole time up front. I could of easily done it solo and a friend of mine was with us in a heavily loaded solo kayak that was pretty much self-contained for the trip although we had to carry his fish/beer. The recent floods have dug out the river and produced a lot of great gravel bars and firewood for camping. There is allot of debris in the river but most of it is stacked on the banks with the exception of a few new sweepers. I would say the recent flood last fall has cleaned out and widened the river if anything. The only complaint we had was that there was not enough water for the newly widened river. There was 5ft at the Parks Bridge at the time of the trip and it is back down to 6.5 as of today http://water.weather.gov/ahps2/hydro...afc&gage=lsha2. We limited out on silvers quickly (had to drink lots of beer quickly to make room in the cooler) but I was hoping to find lots of moose in the area for filling my tag the following month and was disappointed to only see one yearling during the 3 day trip. Black bears on the other hand were everywhere along the river once you got passed the Nancy Lake Rec area. It was a fishing/scouting trip so I only had a pistol for protection but I was glad I had it because we had a black bear visit our camp while we were in the middle of supper the 2nd night and I was the only one that ended up getting any sleep that night. Great trip for a black bear but I think I will be looking elsewhere for a moose this year.
    How long did it take you to float that part.