Thread: In the process of buying a new boat

Default In the process of buying a new boat

Well our counter has been accepted, so now itís time to do surveys which will be on the 9th. If all goes well we will be motoring her out of SF bay to the Columbia River around the 21st! With a new dock to accommodate her, then the work starts to get her ready for cruises to SE Alaska and PWS!

here is a look at her:

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1988.../United-States

And a little history:

http://www.outislanderyachts.com/pdf...chtCompany.pdf

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Sweet looks good, nice size boat!
    It's better to burn out than fade away.....

What's her cruise speed and fuel usage. Seems like a whole lot of boat for that price.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    What's her cruise speed and fuel usage. Seems like a whole lot of boat for that price.
    The owner says WOT speed is 22kts, cruise is 16kts! I think I will be keeping her down around 10-12kts or less. He stated has never measured his usage, so I talked to the engine surveyor and he suspects going up the coast from SF to the Columbia River (going up hill against the current) I will get 1.25 to 1.5 mpg at 10kts. He told me in the inside passage I should get better. We will find out next month.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    MMSI# 338131469

Quote Originally Posted by AKBassking View Post
    The owner says WOT speed is 22kts, cruise is 16kts! I think I will be keeping her down around 10-12kts or less. He stated has never measured his usage, so I talked to the engine surveyor and he suspects going up the coast from SF to the Columbia River (going up hill against the current) I will get 1.25 to 1.5 mpg at 10kts. He told me in the inside passage I should get better. We will find out next month.
    Those 3208's are good engines, easy to work on, fairly cheap parts but at 16 knots i think(know) you'll be heading for the rebuild shop quickly. From what i've been told is don't run them over 2200rpm and you'll get a good long life out of those engines. Make sure they are propped correctly. Spend $25 and join up on boatdiesel.com for tons of info and advise on those engines. Good luck with the new rig maybe we'll see ya on the Sound.
    Steve

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

I've got a 54' that weighs in at 50,000# with the 375hp 3208's. It's a bit over propped with 28 x 23 props. With that at 9-10 knots at 1150 to 1250 rpm I get a solid 1.5 to 1.7 mpg. Like potbuilder says they are good engines if you don't run a lot at the higher rpm. Looks like a super nice boat.

Where are you going to keep her? AK or OR?

Thanks Steve and KB. We plan to be in Alaska during the summer and somewhere south in the winter. I do want to return to PWS and plan to do so.......

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    MMSI# 338131469

Ditch the flowery wicker furniture on the sundeck and you are golden.

Sobie2

Have your surveyor check the undersides of the decks for moisture. I've seen several of the Asian boats that only glassed the topsides and left the wood exposed and only covered with carpet or whatever. It may work in SF but up here the condensation saturates the topsides and then when it freezes ruins the decking. Hope yours is glassed both sides. Good luck with your purchase!

Quote Originally Posted by Fish Witch View Post
    Have your surveyor check the undersides of the decks for moisture. I've seen several of the Asian boats that only glassed the topsides and left the wood exposed and only covered with carpet or whatever. It may work in SF but up here the condensation saturates the topsides and then when it freezes ruins the decking. Hope yours is glassed both sides. Good luck with your purchase!
    The way to keep the decks from rotting is plenty of air circulation under the decks, my bowpickers decks were only glassed on one side but i always opened up all the hatches whenever i could to let fresh air in, left them open all winter and after 20 years the decks were as good as the day it was built.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Glassed on both sides, but in the PNW where it rains sometimes (right) you still need to vent the compartments and/or have constant heat in them. Now wait a minute Sobie2, that flowery stuff........dang its ugly. Camo for sure!

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    MMSI# 338131469

Glassed on both sides, but in the PNW where it rains sometimes (right) you still need to vent the compartments and/or have constant heat in them. Now wait a minute Sobie2, that flowery stuff........dang its ugly. Camo for sure!
    its more important on how any of the holes drilled thru the deck were sealed ?? thats where most of the problems come from when the area around the hole hasn't been decored and filled with epoxy or putty and then sealed correctly.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Well heading to CA this Thursday to have the boat hauled out and the surveys start on Monday! Now go figure the day I am leaving to bring the boat up to the Columbia, I would have to depart on the last day of the America's cup race!!! To stop over in Sausilito will cost me $138 for 1 night! Just hope I don't hit a sail boat!!!:-)

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    MMSI# 338131469

Good luck with the surveys! Safe voyage.

Well heading to CA this Thursday to have the boat hauled out and the surveys start on Monday! Now go figure the day I am leaving to bring the boat up to the Columbia, I would have to depart on the last day of the America's cup race!!! To stop over in Sausilito will cost me $138 for 1 night! Just hope I don't hit a sail boat!!!:-)
    Why don't you just anchor out ???

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

I thought about it. The survey was completed last Monday and everything was fine, great motors and no other issues until we pulled it out. Had two slightly bent props and needed new cutlass. Should be fixed and back in the water tomorrow. Waiting on oil samples and for the fuel guy to finish. Headed down on Tuesday to prepare the boat for departure and crew showing up on Friday. Fuel at Antioch is 4.15 and I will need around 500 gallons...........Then refuel in Eureka and NewPort

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    MMSI# 338131469