Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: August 23, 2013 any Juneau Fishing left?

Default August 23, 2013 any Juneau Fishing left?

Well the family and I went out last night to South Shelter and Pt. Louisa after work and the fishing was very slow. One coho. Are things all wrapped up? Any more positive reports? Granted we are in some big tides and the tide was ebbing.

Sobie2

We had a slow weekend last week, but I'm hoping to get out after a few more silvers this weekend - weather cooperating.

Buddy at work went out last nite and got 3 silvers in the Outer Point area. Should be prime time for hohos in the salt. F&G says it's supposed to be the best year for silvers since '94. I may get out this weekend as the FIL is in town. Don't like the rain part of the fcst tho.

Fish just starting to show at DIPAC. Should get red hot in a week or so.

Neighbor just came in with 12 nice silvers from the backside of Douglas & Outer Point area. Plenty of fish still out there.

As it was mentioned, it's the best year since 1994. Should be fish around through Sept.

Good Luck.

Plenty of silvers out there today - we reached the "freezer is stuffed" point today. Wife is talking about needing a second freezer, I'm a lucky guy!

Then I must be extra-lucky!! Lol! 3 freezers! One for bison and longhorn steer....(the buffalo is WAY better than the beef!).... The other for salmon and halibut. And the last for fruit, berries, garden produce that we don't can and misc stuff.

And our two two pressure cookers did a number on canning up salmon this past Saturday to make room for next month's trip to POW.

If I could have actually landed anything Sunday would have been decent, one rod three ho's and a king.....but my mojo was apparently way off. Got one coho in the net. Still plenty of good butt fishing, and cohos are around, I'm seeing inconsistent fishing from one day to the next in the same spot but they are definitley still around in good numbers.

Saturday was decent around Dupont and picked up a ~15lber between Salisbury and Pt Bishop. Sunday was smoking hot around North Island for about 30 minutes and then slow slow slow (plus it was blowing pretty good for the first part of the day). Heard the fishing picked up in Handtrollers when the wind stopped blowing...

I've picked up 5 halibut in the 20-50lb range in north pass in the past week. can't complain. filling the freezer.

Went out last night after work and hooked into 9 coho on the backside of Douglas. Now for some halibut.

Sobie2

Went out two days ago, hooked 3 coho's near outer point, but didn't get any hits on the backside of Douglas as I worked my way around. I'm new to fishing here in Juneau and still trying to figure out the good spots. On the backside of douglas is it better to troll closer to the shore or more out in the 200 ft range with down riggers around 80ish feet? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Also tried Eagle beach area yesterday, only got one coho hit. Line snapped just as we were landing it. Was on a older reel with line that I have been meaning to replace, guess now I have a really good reason to replace it lol. So if you catch a coho near eagle beach with a flasher on it, that was mine haha.

I've caught coho both close to shore and further out. I usually have one downrigger at about 40-50ft and the other 80-100ft. The deeper downrigger generally catches less coho but the ones it does catch tend to be bigger. And you avoid the pinks deeper too. Though the pinks are starting to dwindle now that most of them are in streams now.

We seem to find the fish off the points on the backside of Douglas, Outer, Middle, Hilda. Watch the current lines in the water, when they stack up shallower try moving in and when they go out try fishing deeper. Been doing well in 100' of water, 40' down. Sure do see a lot of boats out in the 200+' depth range, but we don't have reliable electronics to locate the fish very well.

We've been taking our silvers for the past few weeks pretty consistently in the 40-60' range - typically working over water in the 80-150' range - I like to work the drop off to deeper water. North Pass and Handtroller's have been pretty consistent lately.

Labor Day was pretty good at South Shelter my son and nephew got to fight some cohoes!

I STILL haven't had the time to try halibut, but time is running out. Any ideas?

Sobie2

There are likely lots around, halibut cove was still producing just 8 days ago for my parents. About the same catch rate as July, a few less arrowtooth but still plenty.

Juneau fishing the last few weeks has been brutal from a weather standpoint. Fall weather is upon us and my 17' boat has been getting rock and rolled. 4-5 footers seem to be the norm now. The big waves are great for halibut. You can just leave a circle hook or even a jig in the rod holder and let the waves provide all the action. But, man, does it take a toll on you sitting anchored in that for a few hours.

Weather was fine on Friday and Monday...picked up a 20lb king on Monday screwing around deep. I guess you never know...

**By 'fine' on Friday I mean waves only -- it was super wet out there (running around in a 17ft skiff)

Plenty of silvers still out there - we boated a very nice 19lb silver on Monday. Still working Handtrollers Cove. Taking today off from fishing - the weather is too nasty for me! The good days are becoming more and more rare. Have a buddy coming into town next week - hoping for at least one good day to get out and wet some lines. Hoping for a few more halibut, too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast