Thread: more kings than silvers!

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

Default more kings than silvers!

3 days trolling, 9 kings and 3 silvers plus limits of halibut for 4 guys! Crazy, our silvers are late?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com

We had the same luck two days ago out by Pogy & Flat Isl. 11 kings,3 silvers and one small halibut. We tried along the bluff and by the can for silvers w/o a bite. Today the kings quit after 4 and no silvers.
    Where are the silvers in the Homer area???

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakcombo View Post
    3 days trolling, 9 kings and 3 silvers plus limits of halibut for 4 guys! Crazy, our silvers are late?
    That looks like a terrible problem to have ... wish we'd had this problem on my familys July trip!

Hey Jeff-

They're rolling into Ugag now, so you're probably next. Some real toads in the mix already.

Those silvers are fat hawgs and are in the mouths of Kodiak's road system rivers. I saw a twenty pounder caught 2 days ago...

Rosenberg; Kodiak, AK / Sarasota, FL / Zhengzhou, CN
    "Two decades researching and defining fishing opportunities in the Last Frontier!"

thanks brownbear, 5 kings 2 silvers today.
    www.kodiakcombos.com

I weighed a 16 pound 2 oz HEN today. Egad.

Coho's in the Salt never materialized this season here this season, or at laeast are REAL late. Had one evening in July where we had 11, thought chaos was starting up, had 115 kings in July. The biat left, then the fish and whales followed and haven't seen any of it since. Ran all the way around teh point to PShak last week. Figured allteh fish I'm hearing about in the creek over there they msut be out front, nope. Bait but no silvers. Hell, I've only pulled maybe 2 doz pinks this season in the salt and I'm on the water 6 days a week. Seems sicne teh biat left they are jsut blasting thru the normal holding areas out here and running straight for the rivers.

Hard to say whats up but I agree. The water was really warm a few weeks back and I had been wondering if it was driving the fish off to cooler waters but hard to explain why we still were seeing bait but few whales. I hear the silvers are starting to show now but Im still looking for the kings. Will give it another shot or two this weekend.

We're getting good catches up tight to cover. If trolling with kelp balls passing under your downrigger masts makes you kinda nervous, try mooching or standing off and casting. Bellies are full of needlefish, and the silvers appear to be going right into the kelp after them. Only downside, there are still a whole load of pinks passing through and the silvers are right under them.

We're also getting good catches trolling close to open shorelines- less than 20 feet of water and often less than 10. Pink catch goes waaaay up unless you put your speed up over 5.

Seeing some silver schools right under the surface out in the middle of the open bays recently, but they're spooky as can be if you try to drive right through them. Either stand off and cast to them or troll with really long lines back and the hooks down about 3' with 1-2 oz chartreuse banana weights, passing by the school with good clearance, then "cutting the corner" so your lines pass closer to the schools. Missing strikes? Check your weights for teeth marks and go to plain lead weights with chartreuse spoons.

17 lb. fattie laying on the beach caught outside the mouth of the Buskin River mid-afternoon 08/26

Rosenberg; Kodiak, AK / Sarasota, FL / Zhengzhou, CN
    "Two decades researching and defining fishing opportunities in the Last Frontier!"

one king, 4 chums, ZerO silvers!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    www.kodiakcombos.com