Thread: My 2013 archery moose season

Default My 2013 archery moose season

I had the week off this year and dedicated it entirely to the archery moose season. I hunted my butt off, saw tons of legal moose, stalked lots of legal moose, passed on a few, and wound up with these 2. The first one was shot by my huntin partner at about 10 yards on the 14th, she took a shot at about 10 yards.. it was a quartering away shot. The arrow went between the shoulder blade and rib cage and cut a bunch of arteries and what not. One of the weirdest arrow/broadhead malfunctions ive seen in a while. That moose made for an interesting blood trail... The arrow flew at about 1915 hours and we let him sit until the next morning before looking for him. He was stiff when we found him, and the best part was he died on flat DRY ground! The second one was mine, and he was shot on the 16th. We had just finished packing her bull out and got back into camp at about 0500 on the 16th.. we crashed out for a few hours and woke up to the little guy splashing around in the pond in front of camp. Got into the boat, paddled over to him and took a shot at 32 yards. He ran about 100 yards and was done... The blood trail looked like somebody was heaving buckets of blood all over the trees and ground. He lost his jugular vein and some neck arteries... messiest blood trail I've ever been on. Needless to say, the shot wasn't exactly where I had aimed but was still very very lethal. It was her first bow season, she started off with 2 bull caribou from the haul road on the 4th and 7th, then a moose on the 14th. Proud of her amanda's moose.jpgmarks moose.jpg

Wow, what a season! Excellent job to both of you. Would you be willing to share pictures and a story of the caribou as well? Sounds like that's a story worth reading also!

Nicely done. A great pair of bulls.

Wow! I would say you have had one heck of a season. Nice job!

Congrats! What was the "weirdest arrow/broadhead malfunction"?

Just the way the arrow richochetted and made its own random path... reminded me of a bullet that travels in all sorts of weird directions. The shot was barely quartering away but with the path the arrow took you would think the shot had been taken at an extreme quartering away shot. The only thing I can think is he was walking and the arrow hit the edge of the shoulder blade at just the wrong time. Arrow was a gold tip 500 and broadhead was a slick trick 100, pushed by a Bear "Homewrecker" at 50lbs. I wasn't along with for the caribou hunt, but I can say one is a very nice bull with double shovels taken at a distance of about 8 feet, yes.. FEET.. and the other was taken at about 20 yards, but a smaller bull. My moose was shot with an Easton axis 400, slick trick 100 pushed by Mathews MQ32.

That's awesome AKM! My wife has a Elmendorf archery moose tag and will be going to qualify for it tomorrow morning. Really looking forward to her getting a chance at a moose this year. Would also love to hear the story of the caribou!
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page