Thread: long lining definition

Default long lining definition

I've been looking for the definition of long lining as it pertains to shrimp pots, but can't seem to find it. Can someone help me out?

multiple pots stretched out on a single line. Just get rid of one buoy when fishing less than 5 pots per line. Call or stop by if you'd like to see more.
    gear.jpg

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Thanks Steve, So as a non-resident I'm ok with up to 5 pots on a line providing there is only a buoy on one end?

Quote Originally Posted by kbarnes View Post
    Thanks Steve, So as a non-resident I'm ok with up to 5 pots on a line providing there is only a buoy on one end?
    I'd check w/F&G because with 5 or more pots per line you may have to have a buoy at each end at least thats the way the com regs are written. I'd say 95% of my customers are fishing a 2 and a 3 pot line, not many guys fishing 5.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

My understanding is that the two buoy regulation applies to commercial shrimpers, not recreational ones. That said, I could be very wrong and it would be wise to read the actual regulation before beginning. For what it's worth, we've always ran a string of 5 on one line while sport shrimping in the past.

I also think 5 pots on one string might be quite a load on any puller but the electadyne, I know my Safe-T-Puller grunts on my 3 pot string with the larger round pots.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

I am just speculating here, so definitely best to verify with ADF&G, but I have a feeling just removing one buoy from the end of the string does not suddenly make it not long-lining. I think the long-lining definition applies to strining more than one pot on a single line, thus non-residents who are not allowed to use long-lining would be required to limit themselves to one pot per line. Again, I do not know this for sure, just my initial feeling on it. I would like to hear the final verdict if someone does clarify it.

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    II think the long-lining definition applies to strining more than one pot on a single line, thus non-residents who are not allowed to use long-lining would be required to limit themselves to one pot per line. Again, I do not know this for sure, just my initial feeling on it. I would like to hear the final verdict if someone does clarify it.
    Is there such a restriction for non-residents? That's new to me - I didn't realize there was such a designation for shrimping.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Is there such a restriction for non-residents? That's new to me - I didn't realize there was such a designation for shrimping.
    It may just be limited to the Southeast. I was remembering it from when I was looking through that after reading another thread a week or so ago. According to those regs, residents are allowed up to 10 pots each (limit of 20/vessle) and the pots can be longlined but non-residents are limited to 5 pots each (10 total per vessle) and they cannot be longlined. I can't find any similar regulation in Southcentral though, so probably unique to SE.

Quote Originally Posted by JR2 View Post
    I also think 5 pots on one string might be quite a load on any puller but the electadyne, I know my Safe-T-Puller grunts on my 3 pot string with the larger round pots.
    I did a 5 pot string with my capstan the last trip before installing my E. Dyne. Didn't seem to bother it at all but I only had 3 lbs extra weight in each pot...using 6 lbs. now.

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    I am just speculating here, so definitely best to verify with ADF&G, but I have a feeling just removing one buoy from the end of the string does not suddenly make it not long-lining. I think the long-lining definition applies to strining more than one pot on a single line, thus non-residents who are not allowed to use long-lining would be required to limit themselves to one pot per line. Again, I do not know this for sure, just my initial feeling on it. I would like to hear the final verdict if someone does clarify it.

That's why I'd like to find the definition for long-lining, the way I understand it is one pot per line for nonresidents. But I'll call and find out.

Talked to ADFG one pot per line for nonresidents in SE. Gonna have to get a puller.

Thanks for the clarification kbarnes.

From pg. 40 SE sportfish shellfish regs. http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...s.se_sportfish Shellfish .pdf near the bottom. The long-lining phrase is at the very bottom. I couldn't locate another definition on the adfg website.

Shellfish Sport Bag, Possession Limit, and number of pots and
    rings allowed for Alaska Nonresidents Only
    King crab: Closed to nonresidents .
    Tanner and Dungeness crab (in combination): 3 males, 5 inches minimum size
    for Tanner, 6 inches minimum size for Dungeness .
    Shrimp: 3 pounds or quarts - no size restrictions .
    Closed Areas:
    Ketchikan: East of a line from Indian Point to the
    northeastern most tip of Betton Island to Survey Point .
    Prince of Wales: Twelve Mile Arm (see page 28)
    Sitka Sound Special Use Area (see page 24)
    Geoducks: closed .
    Razor clams: 10 razor clams, except Sitka Sound where razor clams may not be
    retained .
    Scallops: 5 rock scallops (Hinnites sp .) and 10 weathervane scallops (Pecten
    sp .) . There are no limits for all other scallops .
    Abalone: Closed to nonresidents .
    Other shellfish species not listed above: No bag, possession, or size restrictions .
    Number of pots and rings allowed for Nonresidents
    Dungeness, King, & Tanner Crab:
    While taking Dungeness crab, 4 crab pots or 10 ring nets per person may be
    used with a maximum of 10 crab pots or 20 ring nets per vessel .
    While taking Tanner crab, no more than 4 crab pots or 10 ring nets per vessel
    may be used .
    Shrimp: In addition to crab pots, 5 shrimp pots per person with a maximum of 10
    pots per vessel may be used . Shrimp pots may not be longlined