Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steelhead on Anchor

Default Steelhead on Anchor

I am planning for fly to Homer and do some Steelhead fishing on Anchor. Would Sept. 7th or 8th be a decent time to target the steelhead on Anchor ?

There should be some around, might run into some late season silvers as well. I know the steelies start showing up in Deep Creek the last week of August.

Sent from my phone while I should be working.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Would I have a better shot at getting the steelhead if I go there on the Sept 21st instead ?

all those streams start seeing fish around that time of year. Lucky for you they are in some what close proximity to each other.

These are not the steelhead creeks you are looking for.

Im with CTobias, Im not sure that these Steelhead streams are really a hot destination point. Might be worth it to look into a Situk trip or maybe a trip to WA or Oregon or BC.
    Piscor Ergo Sum

Quote Originally Posted by Franken Fish View Post
    Im with CTobias, Im not sure that these Steelhead streams are really a hot destination point. Might be worth it to look into a Situk trip or maybe a trip to WA or Oregon or BC.
    I live in Anchorage and want to explore Anchor river for some steelhead. Yakutat is on my list for steelhead but this year I do not have enough time and room in my budget to go there. I am going to have only one day free for steelhead fishing and I can take it either on the 8th of Sept or 21st of Sept. I am going to fly to homer to avoid the stress from long drive. This is why I need some advice about when to utilize that one day to have a better shot at steelhead. 8th or 21st of Sept. ?

It is really hard to day, but for straight up fishing the early date would be better, there would be Silvers and Steelies in Anchor and Deep Creek. For pure Steelhead fishing the later date might be better, but fishing is not going to be hot.

Don't overlook Deep Creek either, it produces some decent steel head and has lower pressure. Neither river will be on fire, but can certainaly be very enjoyable, especially in Sept after the crowds have moved on and fall is in the air.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

I will be on Anchor around second week of Sept. Looking forward to get on a few fish.

I would go Sept 21st if you want to chase Steel Exclusively.
    Piscor Ergo Sum

Quote Originally Posted by Franken Fish View Post
    I would go Sept 21st if you want to chase Steel Exclusively.
    I made some room in my schedule and budget so I am making 2 trips to Anchor point this month. 7th and 8th of Sept. will be the first trip and the second one will be on 22nd. I heard I might get into some silvers on 7th/8th of Sept. along with a few steelies

I saw a nice one filleted out on the bank yesterday morning. Drives me crazy!

ADFG should install big boards with pictures there showing the difference between silvers and steelhead. I think people just harvest steelhead there cuz they think its silvers

They did and then some A-hole shot up and tore them down.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Quote Originally Posted by FishGod View Post
    They did and then some A-hole shot up and tore them down.
    Seems to happen to a lot of things in this place!

Quote Originally Posted by Texfish View Post
    I will be on Anchor around second week of Sept. Looking forward to get on a few fish.
    Now you can only hope that Mother Nature cooperates. I wish you all the best as I hope to get down that way around that time as well.
    I am no longer surprised at what I am no longer surprised at ---Bill Whittle

If I were flying to homer for steelhead fishing, I would instead save my money and fly into BC and fish the Skeena region.

I f you have one or two days to fish I would go the the Kenai, where you have a higher probability of being able to fish and catch fish. If you have one or two days any of the lower KP streams can easily be blown out and not fishable. Sept is when we get the most rain and those stream can come up and get muddy really fast.

Quote Originally Posted by BN2FSH View Post
    I f you have one or two days to fish I would go the the Kenai, where you have a higher probability of being able to fish and catch fish. If you have one or two days any of the lower KP streams can easily be blown out and not fishable. Sept is when we get the most rain and those stream can come up and get muddy really fast.
    I live in Anchorage and I do 2/3 overnight fishing runs to Russian and lower Kenai almost every week. I want to fish Anchor for Steelhead but I can't drive there and come back to work overnight so I am going to fly on my 2 free weekends. If life was little less busy then I would drive there every weekend but as of now I do not have the luxury so gotta stick with maybe 2 weekends on Anchor.

Quote Originally Posted by BN2FSH View Post
    This is an excellent post. Everything said here is accurate about lower kp streams. They are a blast to fish if you live near them and can avoid the blowouts, but are not worth fishing after 24-48 h of steady rain. Even a few days go the Anchor was blown out, but is back to baseflow after 4 days of phenomenal sunshine. Don't bother fishing if the usgs gage is above 2.0, and don't expect much if it is above 1.6 following rain.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast