Thread: Mills Creek Goat, Dg334

Default Mills Creek Goat, Dg334

I was lucky enough to draw Mills Creek this year. The unlucky part is a little over a year ago I had an injury during training that required knee surgery. Then, I was even more unlucky when I had to go back to have the surgery done over again this spring. So, instead of spending my summer hiking I've spent it going to physical therapy. Things have worked out and the doctor has cleared me for the hunt, albeit I'll be moving at about half speed and foregoing all creature comforts in the name of weight savings.

I've been down a few times scouting and have yet to actually see a goat. I've glassed from the Tern Lake parking lot and just about every pull out along the highway. I've looked at a few different approaches to get back into Mills Creek valley, but because of my injury I haven't actually been able to hike back in there.

I've previously hiked the Mills Creek trail from the gravel pit, so I'm familiar with that, but if I can avoid an 8 mile hike I'd like to. I don't have a trailer for my mountain bike, so that's out.

I've also looked at going up along Johns Creek starting at the overgrown, gated trail. It was a decent walk and not bad bush whacking. I made it about a mile back before turning around. My concerns are that as the creek hits the mountains I worry about still being able to follow it or if it becomes more of a canyon.

I've also taken a look at the straightest shot by starting at Upper Trails Court, but that looks pretty steep. Only about 3/4 of a mile and then you're in the valley, so that's appealing. However, the most logical path looks to drop down into a steep sided cut.

If anyone can PM me some info about any of the routes I've looked at or any other ones they've used, I'd be very appreciative. In the spirit of sharing, if any route information pans out I'll share some info about my sheep spot.
    "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

Have you looked into that horse operation in Cooper Landing.........???

Have you checked at REI to see if they offer bike trailer rentals?

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    Have you checked at REI to see if they offer bike trailer rentals?
    I been back there on bike several times, and that trail get dangerous as you get close to Juneau Creek. I would also suggest contacting the mining operation at Mills & Juneau Creeks intersection. I have no idea about the legal restrictions, but they run ATV's into the mine.

I've been as far back as just past where the trail crosses the little creek. I think that's about 2 or 2 1/2 miles back. The trail seemed pretty good, but that was last fall. I remember the spot you're talking about AGL, where the trail erodes away and you easily take a long tumble. I figured I'd have to walk the bike and trailer up the switchbacks and through the narrow spot. How's the trail after the creek the rest of the five or so miles?

I have only been to that mining operation and that last 1/2 mile before Juneau Creek is ugly. Last fall was when I was in there last, I walked the bike DOWN that last hill or two.

Quote Originally Posted by Kay9Cop View Post
    I've been as far back as just past where the trail crosses the little creek. I think that's about 2 or 2 1/2 miles back. The trail seemed pretty good, but that was last fall. I remember the spot you're talking about AGL, where the trail erodes away and you easily take a long tumble. I figured I'd have to walk the bike and trailer up the switchbacks and through the narrow spot. How's the trail after the creek the rest of the five or so miles?

PM sent. This is what we did last year.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...27s+first+goat

PM sent as well....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I live at 35 Mile. I saw goats two days ago including one that was lone so a reasonable chance it was a billy. I would either start above the junction where you start at a higher elevation or go into the saddle at the back of Hannisford and work the ridgeline up from there.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve H. View Post
    I live at 35 Mile. I saw goats two days ago including one that was lone so a reasonable chance it was a billy.
    Only a slight chance as old nannys will hang out alone as well......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Thanks for all of the info! 4merguide turned me on to an excellent source of local info, so I think I've got a good plan in place.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve H. View Post
    I live at 35 Mile. I saw goats two days ago including one that was lone so a reasonable chance it was a billy. I would either start above the junction where you start at a higher elevation or go into the saddle at the back of Hannisford and work the ridgeline up from there.
    Going up from behind Hannisford / Upper Trails Court was my plan. Have you gone up that way before?

I have a bike trailer that I used for my sheep hunt this year you're welcome to use.

Quote Originally Posted by Kay9Cop View Post
    Going up from behind Hannisford / Upper Trails Court was my plan. Have you gone up that way before?
    Just part way after bears. You can park at the first curve (left) on Hannisford and access between Forest and private property to the base of the hill.

I would likely start between the junction and Jerome Lake if it was me. The sun is actually shning right now!