Thread: Hornady 338 win mag die help

Default Hornady 338 win mag die help

I set up my 338 win mag die just like my 30-06 die and I am having issues with the bullet seating die putting a scoring ring around my Nosler 225 gr Accubond bullets. It did this with the seated adjustment screw backed completely out. I called Hornady and Doug said he doesn't know what might be causing this. He said they make custom bullet seating stems. I think it is the alignment sleeve doing this. Also whe I push my handle forward to remove my round you feel it catching on something like the retainer pin.

should I back the die out 3-4 turns and try it that way again? I will try again tonight with some hornady 225 gr SST bullets.

thanks

Is the ring all the way around the bullet or only on one side of it?
    "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

Default Hornady 338 win mag die help reply

Quote Originally Posted by Kay9Cop View Post
    Is the ring all the way around the bullet or only on one side of it?
    All the way around, about 1/3 of the way down, so it has to be the alignment sleeve doing this.......

i had put an empty brass into the proper shell holder, raised it to the top of the hornady single stage press without camming over, then screwed the seating die down until i felt it touch the top of the brass and then backed the die out one full turn.

like I said, i put the bullet in and raised it up fully into the die and it seated the bullet farther than I liked, in fact 1/16th of an inch too far.....so I am thinking this isn't the proper setup for a belted magnum die and may need to back it out a few turns.

This is my fist time loading a belted magnum cartridge..............

this accubond ogive might be longer than other bullets, so i was just hoping someone else has had this happen to make suggestion.

This probably doesn't answer your question, but I generally use the first round as the guinea pig and start with the seater plug out too far and just keep seating, measuring and adjusting it down until I get to the right COAL. Then I lock it down and seat the rest of the bullets. Sometimes I need to adjust it for the first couple rounds if I go too deep. I get a slight ring around certain kinds of bullets from the seater, but not others, I think the "rounder" the bullet is, the more likely it is to leave a mark on it.

I was able to resolve my issue. I did have to back that die out another 1.5 turns, this made that alignment sleeve higher so it is now no longer scoring my bullet. I even had to then move my seating stem down more to seat the bullet at 3.340 where I needed it to be. Looking forward to shooting at the range to see how they shoot . Thank for the advice who replied .

Quote Originally Posted by ValcoBayrunner View Post
    I was able to resolve my issue. I did have to back that die out another 1.5 turns, this made that alignment sleeve higher so it is now no longer scoring my bullet. I even had to then move my seating stem down more to seat the bullet at 3.340 where I needed it to be. Looking forward to shooting at the range to see how they shoot . Thank for the advice who replied .
    Glad you solved your mystery. I have several of the Hornady dies and have seen your issue before. Keep in mind it doesn't matter how many turns back up you go on the seating die body as long as you have enough adjustment in the seating stem to seat your bullet.

With some of the longer, pointed bullets I have had the ring you mentioned. In my scenario I polished the lip on the seating stem with 1000 grit sand paper, it was sharp and marking the bullet. Once smoothed out no more issues.

With a .270 Win and long pointy VLD's I simple switched the seating stem with a smaller .243 from another die set. This allowed the stem to engage the bullet nose in a smaller section preventing the bullet from jamming deep in the stem. One of the nice things about these dies is the interchangeability of it's parts.

You could use the seating stem from a 7RM, 300WM, 375 H&H, pretty much any similar sized belted magnum case if you had a need to engage your next bullet selection at a different spot along it's curve.

Not that it applies you the issue of the 'ring' on the bullets, but I have set up 'dummy' rounds for each caliber and different bullets. When I get ready to load, I use the 'dummy' round to set my seating depth. I do double check the OAL once I start but generally it is 'spot on'.

I have the same problem when using compressed loads been shooting with rings for years......no problem.

My 338 seating die is only in the press 2 or 3 turns.
    Alaska