Thread: remote security/ temperature monitoring

Default remote security/ temperature monitoring

I dont have a land line but I DO have reliable cell service

I really am not that worried about security, more I want to know if my oil heater goes out so my place may freeze up if I dont get out there for a couple weeks. Security would be a plus of course. Anyone have experience with a system like this?

Thanks

Sensaphone (http://www.sensaphone.com/) now has at least one cell-based product. I have had a land line model since 2004 and have been happy with it. It came with an internal temp sensor, noise sensor (smoke alarms, etc), and power out sensor (uses D cells to call if power is out). I added a motion sensor and two remote temp sensors so I could monitor outside temp and ambient indoor temp at a location other than where the unit was placed. You program it for alarm thresholds and the numbers it calls if an alert is triggered. You also can call in to it for real time sensor readings. The cell unit I see on their site is more sophisticated - it sends emails as well as calls. I think I paid about $400 for mine in 2004.

If you're looking for basic temperature alerts without any frills, a cellular router and temperature module with a built in webserver can do that pretty reasonably. You can setup a 12 volt, basic email alert system for a few hundred bucks plus adding a data device to your current cell plan.

I put together a system this fall for our cabin that's more elaborate to include an ip camera and so far I'm happy with the results.

Depends on how much of a nerd you are... I have a gci 3G card plugged into an evdo router that I toss up as a mobile hotspot. I would configure a raspberry pi linux box to monitor the temp and send me email alerts.

http://www.projects.privateeyepi.com...perature-gauge

I use front point security. Cell based

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bluehammer View Post
    I use front point security. Cell based

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Off the subject a bit, but how do you like Frontpoint? I was looking at them for a home security system and could use a real world opinion.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Bump,Bump,Bump