Thread: 270 wsm 140 AB

Default 270 wsm 140 AB

After about 50+ rounds down range with Barnes' new 129 lrx, I've decided to try out 140's. the 129's shot pretty good one time, after that I can't get anything under a 2" group. Tried numerous powder charges of 22 and 17. Anyways, anybody wanna share their loads or experiences. I got several lbs of 22 and was hopin that it and the 140 would get along. Thanks in advance. Rifle is a rem 700 xcr

I have had some pretty decent success with 150gr partitions with H4831sc and 150gr aframes with RL19

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

I've built loads with 130 TSX, 140 TSX, 130 accubond, 150 Berger VLD hunting, 150 Nosler Long Range Accubond, 130 Hornady cup n core, all with good to great accuracy results but the 140 Accubonds have given me trouble and that in a Kimber Montana and 3 Tikka T3's - I also have had quite a bit of trouble if much care is not taken when processing factory nickel brass, I got some Norma 270 WSM brass and it's a breeze and just acquired some once fired FC brass that seems to be good stuff - RL-22 is one of the powders that seems to work outstandingly well with 130's, IMR 4350 is also very good with that cartridge but hits the max line abruptly - I was using only 215M primers, tried some 210M's and had good advancements in accuracy too - Both my sons and a good friend of theirs shoot 270 WSM and look to me for their ammo so I'm on the bubble to get it right

I'm gonna try 130 Nosler ETips and maybe Hornady GMX as a monolithic in 130 seems to be all a person may "need" at 270 WSM velocities especially - outstanding sheep round, deer and elk round too - I just finished load work with 150 ETip for my 7mm Rem Mag, haven't chrono'd it yet but it should be in the 3100 range and I know it will do whatever I ask it to down in these parts - with ETips you need to start loads on the low end and work up and the GMX's that I've seen are LOOOONG -

Quote Originally Posted by back country View Post
    I've built loads with 130 TSX, 140 TSX, 130 accubond, 150 Berger VLD hunting, 150 Nosler Long Range Accubond, 130 Hornady cup n core, all with good to great accuracy results but the 140 Accubonds have given me trouble and that in a Kimber Montana and 3 Tikka T3's - I also have had quite a bit of trouble if much care is not taken when processing factory nickel brass, I got some Norma 270 WSM brass and it's a breeze and just acquired some once fired FC brass that seems to be good stuff - RL-22 is one of the powders that seems to work outstandingly well with 130's, IMR 4350 is also very good with that cartridge but hits the max line abruptly - I was using only 215M primers, tried some 210M's and had good advancements in accuracy too - Both my sons and a good friend of theirs shoot 270 WSM and look to me for their ammo so I'm on the bubble to get it right

Just curious about the trouble with factory nickel brass? I have alot of that in 300wm and have reloaded some, most with good results. Any advise would be welcome. Thanks

I get great accuracy with the 140 Hornady BTSP and MagPro in my 270 WSM, so maybe the AB and RL-22 would be a good match as well, since it's a pretty close substitute to both bullet and burning rate.

I came up with a couple 140 loads, but it was a lot of work and kind of a psych-out for a while.
    for some reason, tho my Sako 85 really does well with 130 and 150 grain anything,
    the 140's were really spreading out,... hard to dial in

I finally found a sweet spot for the Accubond and Partition
    but it was a weird experience seeing 1.5" groups and worse, right up until the relatively small area where they worked somewhat well
    (does that make sense,...? the loads on the entire workup were not good at all, impossible to improve, except for the 1/2 grain area
    that was suddenly tighter than the rest,...)

So, for 140 Accubonds, and RL-17, 58 grains, with a 2.90col and using Fed 215's, turned up .45" grouping,and 2947fps

the Partitions, with IMR 4350, best I could find was .93" and 2875fps with 59 grains, also 2.90col and Fed 215's
    (didn't use RL-17 there, but it might work well also, sorry, I don't have any 22 around anymore so haven't worked with that for a while)

I tried quite a bit to tighten in the end, so those are large group examples, like not three shot guesses
    but two consecutive 5 shot groups, something like that, for those measurements
    and the velocities, not hitting book for me, tho they were tight in variance,

All in all, I used up a several boxes of 140's and don't think I'll get anymore,...it just felt too flaky compared to 130 and 150's

No Doubt, my rifles personal opinion of them though, right ? Hope it works well for you
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

I use a healthy dose of RL 17 and both 130 and 140 gr Accubonds and get great results. Used to use RL19 and switched when run over a chronograph and velocity gain was noticeable.

Finally found a load that I can live with. 60.5 rl22 3000fps and under an inch.6 shot group. I threw the one on the left. 2.852 coal. Thanks for the info guys
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  

Looks like a killer,...and Fast too
    Well Done
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

I don't think 3000 for a 140 from a 270 WSM is particularly "fast" (speed sells & accuracy kills-I know), I have multiple 150 loads that will easily and safely surpass that with great accuracy - I also have found a 130 class load that has worked in 2 rifles with Accubond, Hornady SP, Partition and not too bad with 130 eTip and it is not a "hot" load, one listed in the middle in Nosler's manual with RL-22 and same components listed as well