Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seventy North

Default Seventy North

Anybody know how this air taxi takes payments at Happy Valley? I tried sending him an email but he hasn't responded yet. He might be busy flying or something. Does anyone know if he has a way he can run a credit card or debit card at his place at Happy Valley or do you need to bring cash only?

Cash only.Might be able to write a check but don't know for sure?I will not be flying with them again.

cash only.

Quote Originally Posted by Kotton View Post
    Cash only.Might be able to write a check but don't know for sure?I will not be flying with them again.
    Kotton, If you will, send me a PM why you won't use 70 North, again. My son, a friend, and I are going to do an early season bou hunt in either 26C or 25A next August, and I have talked with the owner of 70 North. Nothing booked yet, but we do want to get something in place by the first of November. If you know of another reputable transporter for that area, feel free to recommend. Knute

Quote Originally Posted by Knute78 View Post
    Kotton, If you will, send me a PM why you won't use 70 North, again. My son, a friend, and I are going to do an early season bou hunt in either 26C or 25A next August, and I have talked with the owner of 70 North. Nothing booked yet, but we do want to get something in place by the first of November. If you know of another reputable transporter for that area, feel free to recommend. Knute
    I would love to know what happened. Please PM with your info. I don't like gossip, but if there is something I need to know I would like to know it. Thanks Kotton.

Quote Originally Posted by Knute78 View Post
    Deltana use to do a flight service out of Happy Valley and they were a top notch outfit. Last time I went with them was in 2008 and I couldn't have been happier with the service. We mainly dealt with Ralph Miller, who passed away last year, but also talked with Jim Weidner who was his partner and is now running the outfit. Curt Bedingfield is still their main pilot and is a great guy to fly with. Even with Ralph gone I'd bet they're still a top notch outfit but I'm not sure if they're still doing flight services. Anyway, just thought I'd throw that out there as an option.

If I needed a cub flight I would consider fullcurl. The only other dalton highway/north slope operation I would consider is Coyote air based on numerous positive reports from friends.

My first choice for any brooks hunts would be Wrights (hands down). I will say that I was impressed with Yukon Air as well after meeting the owner and talking with his customers in the field. Only problem is he isn't on the road system so you have to take a charter with Wrights to get to Ft Yukon first.

70 North was cash only (other than the deposit) at Happy Valley. There isn't much there other than a gravel runway and a few outbuildings. I doubt there's a credit card machine closer than Deadhorse.

I used 70 North twice for family float hunts on the Ivishak. I could not have been happier with their, service, professionalism, and enitre operation. I would not hesitate to use them again for that region of the Brooks.

Just the opinion of someone who trusted them twice with his family and who flys for a living.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I will say that I was impressed with Yukon Air as well after meeting the owner and talking with his customers in the field. Only problem is he isn't on the road system so you have to take a charter with Wrights to get to Ft Yukon first.
    I flew with Yukon Air last year and have never been more impressed and pleased with a flight operation. Yeah, you've got to get to Ft. Yukon first, but Wright's lands there anyways for a fuel stop. It'll lengthen your overall trip for sure, but it's worth it. For what it's worth, with Yukon Air you know who you're flying with - there is only one pilot and it's the owner. That's not true of many of the other services. He's small, but he's awesome.

Me and my hunting partner have used 70 North several times and would not hesitate to use them again.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Only problem is he isn't on the road system so you have to take a charter with Wrights to get to Ft Yukon first.
    I think your wrong on the charter, Lu. There is scheduled service to Ft Yuk. However, Wrights will only do bush charters from Fbks.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Yes, scheduled Cessna Caravan through Wrights if I recall correctly.

Both Warbelows and Wrights fly multiple scheduled flights into Fort Yukon. Wrights also flys a schedule into Arctic Village. You can charter the Helio out of Arctic if they are around there hauling people. There are too many flights/people in the Brooks Range now. The old cub landing areas are getting tore up by Helios, Beavers and 185s. Everyone trying to make a buck and ruining the country...sure glad I got to hunt/see that county before all the greedy *******s showed up....

Wow this surprised me! First bad info I have ever seen on 70 North over the years. We flew with them last year out for bou and I can not say one bad word about the operation they were great. We were the last crew in and out of the field last year winter was setting in quickly.

Everyone's experience is unique, but I have always had great service from Mike and his crew. He is a cash kind of guy and Happy Valley is a remote strip with only Sat phone. If you want a taxi that has a staff and office to call and talk to, 70 North might not be for you. But Mike has always done me right and I'm booked to fly with him in 2014. The weather on the north side of the Brooks was epic, spent 10 days straight with ceilings to the deck and 6 inches of snow. All pilots have a limited amount of legal hours they can log each day and I have seen Mike and Bob fly to those limits everyday weather permitting. Small operations will have delays when weather backs them up.

I look forward to seeing Mike and Bob next fall and wish them the very best. Stand up guy that has never failed to keep his word to me.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Default No problems here

I flew with 70 North last fall for a float hunt and was more than happy with the service. Mike's 206 was down for unforeseen issues which left Bob's Helio as the sole work horse. Weather at the end of August was also adding to the situation, but Mike and Bob were very clear and honest with everyone with timely updates. Mike provided dry storage for gear, helped with the staging of my vehicle at the takeout, and fed my dad and I as we waited for our turn to get flown out. Even with all the complicating factors, Bob got my dad and I into the field on the day we had scheduled. Bob's a great pilot and put us in exactly where we wanted. After the hunt and float out we swung back in to thank Mike and Bob, and to report on our hunt. We were greeted with smile and a hot meal. He also offered us to stay in camp for the night, which we turned down but were grateful nonetheless. I would fly with them again without hesitation. There of course are situations that can arise that may turn a situation sour.

AZinAK

I have no dog in this fight. I've only heard good things from friends and acquaintances who have used them in the past. That said I have four friends who went in with 70 North to the Brooks for the opener this year. 2 saw the writing on the wall and talked to Wrights. They got out on time. Two didn't and are 4 or 5 days over due getting out. The weather is the reason, but it sounds like there was little allowance made for catching up once they got behind. Just too booked up.

Brett

Just 55 miles north of ANC ... on the lake

Hello Kotton and others...I would like to also be PM'd about yukon air...we are scheduled to go out with them early september for a long float trip...At least a heads up and what to expect...Emails and phone calls with them seem very straightforward...

thanks in advance

There may be unknown secondary issues. We never saw Mike and it appeared that Bob was the only one flying both planes.

Ive never heard any bad from 70 north only good from everthing ive heard.Ill keep my experince to myself but main reason is the logistics,the extra days it adds on a hunt to get up there.Just would be easier on me to not have to drive the extra 400+ miles.Bob was a very nice guy and a great pilot.Didnt get to meet mike but hear he is a great guy to.Sure it really sets them back with one man handling the work load.And I'm sure there is more than a few taxis backed up with the weather the way it has been.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast