Thread: Recommendations for an AME, Flight School, and CFI

Default Recommendations for an AME, Flight School, and CFI

I am moving to Chugiak (Anchorage) in 2 weeks. I am interested in pursuing a pilot license to likely include IFR.

I'm not familiar with the policies of ground school and flight instruction. Can I take an online course separately to keep my costs down without any issue?

Thanks,
    Matt

Gleim has on online private pilot course that should get you the basics for the test. You'll still have to arrange to test with a local provider and then start getting hours. There are many good instructors up here that do private lessons. You'll be near Birchwood airport and should be able to find a local to get started.

I have the Private Pilot Course from Sporty's on DVD that I could loan you if you will get them back to me when you are done. I have loaned it to a few student pilots over the years. It is pretty dry in some areas, but a good course overall.

Quote Originally Posted by High Country View Post
    I have the Private Pilot Course from Sporty's on DVD that I could loan you if you will get them back to me when you are done. I have loaned it to a few student pilots over the years. It is pretty dry in some areas, but a good course overall.
    High Country - that is very nice of you. I may want to take you up on that offer!

I found an AME in Eagle River, so I have put a call into his office trying to set up an appointment.

The most dry courses are the KING, CD, DVD, or video courses.... But they do get you ready for the written test.... If you can stay awake...
    My wife calls Martha King "Old Poodle Head" ...

The best flight instructor near that area for real Bush type flying is Jay Baldwin out in Palmer.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    The best flight instructor near that area for real Bush type flying is Jay Baldwin out in Palmer.
    I will second that.

High Country - I made it to Chugiak and would like to take you up on your offer if it is still valid. I can't send you a PM because of my low post count apparently. Can you send me one? Maybe I could buy you lunch for lending me the DVDs?

matt

If you are in Chugiak than fly out of Birchwood. Advanced placement is a great place to learn. Instructors are not just trying to get flying time for the next job. You will learn a lot more than just how to pass the test. http://flyapa.net/ 907-602-3853. Just a guess but what branch of the military are you?
    DENNY
    Edit
    I missed the post on Jay in palmer. Nothing wrong with going there just Birchwood is closer.

Boneguy - thanks for the referral. I'm going to try to make it out to Birchwood this week to check out the airport. I'm seeing small planes flying over my house already. Flying out of Birchwood would be very convenient. I'm not in the military. Most I have done is work with the Army on lighting control projects as well as the Canadian Air Force.