Thread: stabilizers

Default stabilizers

I have a 14' rogue river canoe. I use it to hunt ducks on small rivers and streams. with two people in the canoe it gets real tipsey. does anyone have any plans or ideas on how to make stabilizers for it. don't know what it is made of but its not metal. thanks....

Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

I've been thinking about making some outriggers for my 17' Grumman. I was planning on using a couple 6-8' lengths of large diameter (6-8") PVC pipe and capping both ends. I figured I could fabricate a pair of supports that would attach to the thwarts and allow the outriggers to be adjusted from right up tight to the sides out to maybe 18-24" off the canoe.

This is just a plan in my head at this time but I've seen similar setups.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

AKmud

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

back in the day, I used to "think outloud" about outriggers, but they simply posed a hazard with sweepers and don't really fix the real problem.......like getting a bigger canoe. By the time you waste the money to attempt to fix that 14, you've done nothing to fix it's miserly load capacity. I don't miss the days when a third duck hunter wanted to come along in a 15 ft. canoe. You just so much as sneezed wrong, you'd take water over the gunwales. Even with two people, that little 15 footer had very little freeboard. don't waste your time or money......get a bigger canoe.

There was a 17.5 ft. discovery sport on craigs a while back. might still be for sale. Those were a great rig for two people, or even three.

Definitely not a river accessory in my case. I have four kiddos that like to move around a bit in the boat when on the lake, I'm thinking some simple outriggers would give me a bit more security when Jr. gets a hold of that 20" rainbow.
    AKmud

I have a 15' Scanoe that I have been using with my 3&5 year olds for 3 summers now. I use it with a 3.3hp on rivers mostly, but some times on lakes. Usually it is just the three of us, but occasionally more. I started with making stabilizers out of 2 crab buoys glued on some plumbing copper pipe. Those were sleeved in PVC so I could retract them in while running the river and extend when at the fishing hole. I was concerned about hitting debris while under way but in the end it was my body that ripped one side off (while it was extended). I found that they may make you feel less tippy if extended but otherwise should be tucked in close to the boat while motoring. They worked really well but after they broke I decided to spend the money on the commercial set to have "easier" in/out of the pontoons. Sailboatstogo.com I opted for the shaped ones since the seemed to have less splash. I really enjoy the adjustability of the purchased set but found the splashing to be the same between the two. If I had to do it again I would probably just use the buoys. Very seldom do I ever use the canoe without stabilizers. All three of us standing in the canoe can have a foot on the same edge while fishing and be totally fine. If you want, let me know I can get some pics up.

Use the search function in the canoeing forum to find the numerous threads from 4 or 5 years ago that discuss that very subject. There are many good ideas there. Some store-bought, others for DIY folks. There is a wealth of excellent info in the archives.

at one time Grumman made a set for there canoes , some what like the ones of to day but the float part was out of a softer foam roll about 4 to 5 ft long an about 7 or 8 inches in DIA. could not move them in or out , great on lakes an no rod in the middle of the foam , it was tuff stuff , don't know
    if they still sell it ,

SID

I build one for my wife out of a hockey stick and an inflatable boat fender...worked great...now she doesn't need it anymore.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Quote Originally Posted by AKmud View Post
    Definitely not a river accessory in my case. I have four kiddos that like to move around a bit in the boat when on the lake, I'm thinking some simple outriggers would give me a bit more security when Jr. gets a hold of that 20" rainbow.
    Consider a big beamy canoe. Like 4 feet of beam. Think Scott Canoes, Albany, HB, or JB: All your kids and dogs could look over the same gunnel at that rainbow without a thought to going over. It's really nice having that security, because neither dogs nor kids are very controllable to have them maintain canoe-behavior. And if you get caught in big waves during an afternoon blow you can still get back.

it is like familyman said a wide canoe is great , I for one have been stranded on the large lakes up the road a ways a few times , I know one person on this forum has sunk a canoe or 2 on some of his hunting trips [ save most of his stuff I think ]

SID

You guys are a lot more serious than I am. My trips are usually an hour or two on small lakes like Wolf and Walby. If I was serious about camping or hunting in one you can bet I'd find a freighter.
    AKmud