Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Port Dick Goat Advice

Default Port Dick Goat Advice

Hello Everyone. I have DG363 (Port Dick Mountain Goat) and I am hoping to get some input from our extremely talented pool of Alaskan hunters on gear and expectations. I have hunted before yes but nothing like this. I will be flying out middle of September. Any suggestions for rain gear (I am female 5'3") mainly will be most appreciated. As far as terrain goes...Please help me. A safety briefing, comparisons, weather advice...anything. Thanks in advance Hunters

Watch out for hairy men. Recognized hot spot for the bigfoot/sasquatch critters.

Ahh yes...I know of what you speak. I'll have to start a new thread for sasquatch plans. Thanks

I was just East of there last September during the super heavy rains and crazy wind. We managed to get a goat on the day between 2 fronts. I had a friend that hunted in West arm last week. It is very tough terrain, it took us both 4 to 5 hours to hike up above tree line with our spike camps. Go light, but be prepared for brutal fall storms. My friend said the single best piece of gear he had was an ice axe for swinging into moss and hooking branches climbing up. I was very happy to have a section of climbing rope that we used to lower our packs and rappel down the steepest sections on the way down with our goat. It would have been pretty sketchy on the steep slick terrain with a heavy pack. As far as rain gear I had a winter weight goretex shell made of Sierra Designs.

It is amazing country and I can't wait for another opportunity to go back.

There are several threads I have found valuable regarding rain gear. Here is one, there are many more. Find a brand that interests you and the search function is your friend good luck on your hunt.

hope-it-don't-rain,-i-have-sitka-gear
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...d.php?t=118974

Hmmm, tough call....breathable rain gear would probably be your best bet, rubberized is the bomb until you start climbing, then you'll be as wet inside your gear as out....footwear is absolutely critical of course, that country is straight up and down....as far as terrain goes, use great care when route finding...in other words, don't commit to a climb unless you're dead sure it's doable....much easier to go up than down
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Quote Originally Posted by Caribou Chica View Post
    Hello Everyone. I have DG363 (Port Dick Mountain Goat) and I am hoping to get some input from our extremely talented pool of Alaskan hunters on gear and expectations. I have hunted before yes but nothing like this. I will be flying out middle of September. Any suggestions for rain gear (I am female 5'3") mainly will be most appreciated. As far as terrain goes...Please help me. A safety briefing, comparisons, weather advice...anything. Thanks in advance Hunters
    Regarding safety considerations, I read your post several times, and did not see any indication that you have a hunting partner. If that's the case, please get someone to go with you. Goat hunting terrain is typically very dangerous, and one misplaced step can result in serious injury. Most goat hunters I have known over the years returned with accounts of "near death" experiences, and in two instances their hunting partner literally saved their life.

Best of luck, and be careful. Whether you get an animal or not, it's will be a memorable experience. Enjoy!

@grandby45 Great advice. I will likely have to break down and purchase some heavier duty clothing for stormy weather. I have mainly lighter gortex I thought might hold up. As I read the replies I can see its going to be harsh conditions. I have an ice axe but as far as climbing rope is concerned how many feet should I pack?

Quote Originally Posted by cdubbin View Post
    Hmmm, tough call....breathable rain gear would probably be your best bet, rubberized is the bomb until you start climbing, then you'll be as wet inside your gear as out....footwear is absolutely critical of course, that country is straight up and down....as far as terrain goes, use great care when route finding...in other words, don't commit to a climb unless you're dead sure it's doable....much easier to go up than down
    Appreciate the Advice Thank You!

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf1 View Post
    Regarding safety considerations, I read your post several times, and did not see any indication that you have a hunting partner. If that's the case, please get someone to go with you. Goat hunting terrain is typically very dangerous, and one misplaced step can result in serious injury. Most goat hunters I have known over the years returned with accounts of "near death" experiences, and in two instances their hunting partner literally saved their life.

Best of luck, and be careful. Whether you get an animal or not, it's will be a memorable experience. Enjoy!
    Great point and Yes I do have a partner going with me. I am absolutely firm on only hunting and climbing where I feel comfortable. I want to experience this trip to the fullest but I understand how dangerous Mt. Goat hunting can be. Nervous and excited

Hi Chica,

I seined in port dick for one summer. I explored the west arm quite a bit. I never did see goats....but then again i don't think the cieling rose above 1,00 feet that whole summer. There are plenty of bears in the area, and i did hear one taking a young kid in the woods. I also hiked Port Dick Creek to the rocky river logging road. and saw some moose sign.

What i know is that there was a nice camp site at an anchorage that was half way up the west arm on the south side. Goat hunters got dropped off there a couple of times.From that particular valley, it seemed relativley easy to hike up to higher country. on a topo map it looks like there is a saddle there that would allow one to access the gulf coast side. I imagine goats would stay more on the inside of the bay if there were much storms coming from the Gulf. As with any alpine activities, bring a partner and if you are going to use technical gear, know how to use it. Also, bring good heavy rain gear for bushwacking up and down mountains.

I have biked and hunted around the seldovia road and near port chatham, and port graham. there are LOTS of Goats on that peninsula. and lots of bears. Also....do keep a look out for Hairy Man. They say you typically smell him before you see him.

G'luck.

Quote Originally Posted by redmammoth View Post
    if you are going to use technical gear, know how to use it.
    Redmammoth is right a climbing rope is useless or even dangerous if you don't know how to use it. I brought 80 feet of 9 mm climbing rope with me.

Where in Port Dick are you planning on going? I have heard the south side of West arm is a tangle of blow downs.

Quote Originally Posted by redmammoth View Post
    From that particular valley, it seemed relativley easy to hike up to higher country.
    Yea, that's how I would describe it. Its only a half inch to tree line on the topo map...yikes.

I have been waiting to see if your post count would go up so I could pm you - if you get your post count up we can exchange pms. Otherwise feel free to give me a call three nine four-six7ninesix. I have that same tag and have been up there once already this fall.

I will get my posts up

How many posts until I can PM?

Quote Originally Posted by Caribou Chica View Post
    How many posts until I can PM?

I believe it is around 20. You could also go to Spartan Gunner's profile and send him an email, too.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

I would prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

Crampons and ice axe.

That can be a nasty area. I believe we lost a man there last year.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

The man that died was the area on the east side of Port Dick and it was 2 years ago, I was in that area last year. It is an amazing area and you can quickly discover the power of mother nature and how frail we are in comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by granby45 View Post
    Redmammoth is right a climbing rope is useless or even dangerous if you don't know how to use it. I brought 80 feet of 9 mm climbing rope with me.

Where in Port Dick are you planning on going? I have heard the south side of West arm is a tangle of blow downs.
    After talking with my air taxi it sounds like we are going to be dropped in Shelter Cove, I believe that is on the South side.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast