Thread: H1000 reloading

Default H1000 reloading

I am newer to reloading and can't seem to find the answer in my reloading manual so I'm hoping for some help. I recently had a custom rifle built in 7mm WSM, the builder completed the break-in and load development as well. After finding what load shot best, he sent me the information and I began gathering the supplies before I got my rifle. The combination was 180gr Berger VLD hunting bullets with H1000 powder. I was able to buy the primers, powder and acquire some brass but its seems impossible to find those bullets. I would not mind trying the Barnes 175gr TSX bullets. So my question is this, is it possible to use my H1000 powder with bullets that are not listed as being used with that particular powder? If so, where or how do I determine the correct amount of powder to use if its not in my reloading manual? Any help is much appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Sportsmanís in Wasilla has the VLDs in 7mm in stock.

When you canít find data for your bullet/powder combo yes you can sub bullets in a load using data for another bullet. You want the same bullet weight or less then start with the low charge weight and work up from there.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Someone correct me if i'm wrong but it is my understanding that you should NOT use lead jacketed bullet data with Barnes (or any?) all copper bullets since the bullet is longer for the same weight, resulting in less space in the case?

Barnes has a lot of data that ins't in any books and they happily give it out if you email them.

This is why you start at the plumb bottom of charge weights for a heaver bullet and work up (or maybe even down) from there, though itís not the capacity reduction as much as the increased bearing surface and a less ducal material that is the big issue. You find data as similar as you can, make an educated guess, then start LOW and work up. Itís like using lead cast data for jacket bullets, can be done but jackets run more pressure than jackets and solid coppers run more pressure than jackets.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Thank you for that info, I'm headed to Wasilla today to check on some VLD's and I'm also going to email Barnes and see if they can dig me up some load data using that powder.

Default Using someone else's loads

Please be aware that there can be a sig difference between different lots of powder which is why I buy my powder whenever I can in 5 or 8 lb containers. I have seen as much as 250 fps vel from different powder lots. This is a bit unusual but 50 to 150 fps is not at all unusual. Hopefully your "worked up load" is toward the low end of the vel/pressure range and not on the cusp of max pressures. You should be prepared to reduce (or possibility even increase) your powder charge when you start to use the load that came with your rifle. If you are an experienced reloader then you already know all this, so you can pretty much ignore my input. I chrono all my shooting - you would be amazed what you can discover. Good luck.
    "Actions speak louder than words - 'nough said"

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    Someone correct me if i'm wrong but it is my understanding that you should NOT use lead jacketed bullet data with Barnes (or any?) all copper bullets since the bullet is longer for the same weight, resulting in less space in the case?

Barnes has a lot of data that ins't in any books and they happily give it out if you email them.
    FWIW - I read an old post of mine which reminded me of a conversation I had with Barnes. They indicated the grooves in their copper bullets are there to reduce the bearing surface such that they perform like a standard jacketed bullet and it is appropriate to use standard jacketed data, i'd confirm with Barnes yourself...