Thread: Upper Kenai/Russian Silver and Rainbow Fishing

Default Upper Kenai/Russian Silver and Rainbow Fishing

I will be in Cooper Landing this Sat and Sunday and looking for info on bank fishing for rainbows and silvers. Are there Silvers in the upper kenai or Russian this time of year or would I have to go closer to Sterling or Soldotna?

I would also like to do some Flyfishing for rainbows in the Kenai. Are there any spots on the Kenai that you can hook up with silvers and rainbows? We are planning on flyfishing Quartz Creek for rainbows and Dollies as well.

This will be our first time Flyfishing on the Kenai and Quartz so all advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks

There should be a few silvers up near the russian confluence. You'll have to pick through all the brick colored reds though. There will be rainbows and dollies all over the place up there as well. The middle should be producing decent silver action as well as bows and dollies. Its been a few weeks but my buddy caught about a 12lb bow in the middle river and I caught about a 6lb dolly while fishing the tail end of reds beginning of silvers.

Oh and go cubs!
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

If fishing is open there, and if you don't mind the stroll, walk the trail to Lower Russian Lake. Should take you about 55-minutes. Above Bear Falls, and right where the lake becomes the Lower Russian River, you'll get worn out catching good silvers. Change from streamers to something like black Wooly Buggers for bigger rainbows there, too.

Quartz was good yesterday. Fishing really picked up once I found the right color bead. Went back through holes I fished previously and caught even more fish the second time. Fish of the day was a FAT rainbow about 21-22" Second was a dolly about 20" starting to get spawning colors. Lots of smaller dollies and a few 'bows. A great morning for me topped off w/sunshine right as I was leaving.
    I am no longer surprised at what I am no longer surprised at ---Bill Whittle

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly 2 View Post
    If fishing is open there, and if you don't mind the stroll, walk the trail to Lower Russian Lake. Should take you about 55-minutes. Above Bear Falls, and right where the lake becomes the Lower Russian River, you'll get worn out catching good silvers. Change from streamers to something like black Wooly Buggers for bigger rainbows there, too.
    Unfortunately, this area is closed to salmon fishing. Page 51 right hand side second bullet.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/re...egulations.pdf

The Russian weir has passed 235 silvers, so some are present in the Upper Kenai.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/sf/FishCounts/
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

And please, everyone, do note the abnormally high mortality rate of released coho salmon. Among the 5 salmon species, silvers are especially prone to C&R mortality.
    My signature is awesome.

I noticed this at the Russian yesterday... saw several nice chrome silvers bounce by, snagged or released fish? Who knows. I thought about picking up a nice 10 lbr that floated by and taking it home as my one allowed silver. Seemed the moral thing to do but wouldn't have been surprised if it was illegal and would get me a ticket.

What the...?!!??? Is there a full moon somewhere?

Quote Originally Posted by Gr is for Greg View Post
    And please, everyone, do note the abnormally high mortality rate of released coho salmon. Among the 5 salmon species, silvers are especially prone to C&R mortality.
    It is almost a given the fresher they are.

Thanks for the responses. Is Morgan Landing a decent place to do some bank fishing for silvers and rainbows? Would I have better luck for silvers going all the way down to Cunningham Park and soaking some roe? Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by extrema View Post
    What the...?!!??? Is there a full moon somewhere?
    And that comment is supposed to mean what???

With all this rain I imagine that the Upper Keani is starting to get toward flood stage? Has anyone been there in the last 24 hours or so?
    Thanks in Advance

Quote Originally Posted by live4chrome View Post
    I noticed this at the Russian yesterday... saw several nice chrome silvers bounce by, snagged or released fish? Who knows. I thought about picking up a nice 10 lbr that floated by and taking it home as my one allowed silver. Seemed the moral thing to do but wouldn't have been surprised if it was illegal and would get me a ticket.
    Yeah, def not legal unless you happened to snag it in the mouth as it's floating by. Maybe you could grab it with your hand, put the hook in its mouth, and then reel it in? I thought the same thing about a dolly I saw dying (basically dead) at the bank on the Russian. I picked it up, and it just looked at me saying "kill me!" It was over the 16" limit, though, so regardless of what made more sense, I left it there to die.
    My signature is awesome.