Thread: Wood River Vs salchaket tannan flats area

Default Wood River Vs salchaket tannan flats area

Looking for some options for this years moose hunt. Considering exploring the tannana flats. Never been down that way. Considering either salchaket slough or the wood river. Waht can you guys tell me of this area. Moose numbers/pressure/accesibility.

Should probably add i have a 95 horse jet 18" foot boat.

Thanks To The Alaska Dept Fish And GAme And There Antlerless Hunt You Probley Not See Any Thing To Hunt, Even If You Have A Any Bull permit

I've hunted the flats for 26 years,as of last year I have moved on to greener pastures, the cows hunts that have been going on for years have ruined the moose hunting in my opinion. That along with the spike/fork 50 inch requirement has made it a tough hunt. It went from the best Moose hunting in the state to pretty poor,there's much better places to hunt now.

In the peek I would see 5 to 10 moose at my favorite climbing trees, now I'll climb them 7 or 8 times and not even see a cow, I'm Very disappointed with ADF&G and their management of Moose in 20A.

Quote Originally Posted by TS View Post
    I've hunted the flats for 26 years,as of last year I have moved on to greener pastures, the cows hunts that have been going on for years have ruined the moose hunting in my opinion. That along with the spike/fork 50 inch requirement has made it a tough hunt. It went from the best Moose hunting in the state to pretty poor,there's much better places to hunt now.

In the peek I would see 5 to 10 moose at my favorite climbing trees, now I'll climb them 7 or 8 times and not even see a cow, I'm Very disappointed with ADF&G and their management of Moose in 20A.
    I would agree as well.
    I know they are the " Professionals" on game management but I think they are way off on what that area needs!

Anyone know if a creek of the salchaket called clear creek is accessible with a boat

It is you might want to take a chain saw, Lots of dead fall that our in the creek.

Quote Originally Posted by skip olsen View Post
    It is you might want to take a chain saw, Lots of dead fall that our in the creek.
    Chain saw is doable. Worried about getting stuck back there if the water levels drop though. What's your thoughts is it fairly deep or just barley passible

I Run It With A Airboat, Use To Run It With An Inboard. Its Raining Know The Creek Should Be Up

What's some tactics you use to hunt the flats. Just cruise up and down the steams with a boat looking for sign and walk in or get up high with a tree stand or som other way?

There Is Alot Of Brush And There Are Climbing Trees There. Havnt Hunted There in Two Years Since It Was Decmated By The Alaska Dept Of Fish And Games Anlterless Hunt.

Just between you me and the fence post Clear Creak is Busy. Happen to be a huge fire there recently I am assuming the rain has helped.

Wood River over the past several years has been difficult to asses from the lower end. Doable just tuff and sometimes not at all. Couple of home bodies camp at the based every year and well to be honest maybe a little of the Rough Side.

That being said can't speak to the Management Practice having an adverse effect on the hunting it is just different and more time consuming then in the past. Floating the Lower Wood I have not seen much difference in the amount of Bull pits along the river issue is it is just thick as you know what and difficult to hunt. There are several small ponds along the way which are a pain to access well lets say swamp dents that suck to get into however do the work get the reward.

Sure it has changed no doubt but still a viable hunt if your willing to accomplish the associated work. This is an opinion and nothing more. Not fighting words are trying to start a mini posting war.

Best of luck.

Also you best have a military permit to access their land.
    Tim

I've had this permit last two season and is why I bought an airboat. Your only going to be able to get so far up the wood. You need your chain more than your rifle.
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

The area above the bonnifield is closed until after the 20th of September thanks to the GIs needing to train so its kind of a crap shoot. The moose are there. You just have to actually hunt now instead of cruising up and down the river all freaken day. Fin and feather is doing a fine job. People are just upset its not like going to Safeway of Fred's anymore and that they might actually have to get their boots dirty. The dumb moose have been shot and the smart ones just watch them drive by all day long.

Dakota boy, are you still planning on hunting this area? I have an any bull tag, my and a buddy are going to head the direction on Friday.

WATER LEVELS: Our trip to Salchaket Slough was in a high water year in a heavy Jetcraft. We had no probs navigating Clear Creek, and in fact found a clear water spring for drinking water there. But water levels changed rapidly during our 5-days there. I would watch levels closely if camping off the main Slough. Sections of water which appeared to be deep off the main slough, were sometimes in fact deeply filled with soft silt - which made it possible to stick a heavy jet boat... in a place where swimming or walking would have been tough because of the deep, soft bottom which also would not support poling. Air boats seemed perfect, and we saw quite a parade of them - very cool watching them perform in those waters, but we did see big jon boats on the main Slough and up Clear Creek too. CURRENT/PARKING: current was brisk at times in the Slough proper, so finding a place to camp and park the boat took some looking. Parking on Clear Creek was challenging because the stream is small and traffic pretty congested. MUD: the ground we saw (on this one trip) was on the Ft Wainwright (south bank) side, we found the ground boggy off the river. We did call in a large bull, but he did not offer a shot. If I had that opportunity again, I would stalk in after him, but having seen the ground there, I might wear my waders and hope he didn't walk very far. ARMY PERMITS: some of the land is Ft Wainwright, but they were easy to work with in our experience. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by starktank View Post
    Dakota boy, are you still planning on hunting this area? I have an any bull tag, my and a buddy are going to head the direction on Friday.
    Ya well be headed out that way too. Havnt decided if I was stopping at the slough or heading to another area around there maybe wood river