Thread: Trailering a Cataraft up the Haul Road

Default Trailering a Cataraft up the Haul Road

I'm considering taking my 18', Aire Cataraft up the Haul Road on an 8x10 Floe tilt trailer. I would protect the tubes as best as possible. There is no shield on the front of the trailer. This way we could store stuff in the raft, and also have the raft to float the Sag.

Number one - Has anyone ever taken a raft up the Haul Road in such a manner? Number two - It has been a while since I have been up there, but does anyone have any experience with taking that size tilt trailer up there? Does it get beat to hell, or just take a couple of spares, and go easy? Number three - How is the water looking in the Sag? Is there enough water to make any progress floating in that size raft, with two or three people in it? Thank you for your input.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    I'm considering taking my 18', Aire Cataraft up the Haul Road on an 8x10 Floe tilt trailer. I would protect the tubes as best as possible. There is no shield on the front of the trailer. This way we could store stuff in the raft, and also have the raft to float the Sag.

Number one - Has anyone ever taken a raft up the Haul Road in such a manner? Number two - It has been a while since I have been up there, but does anyone have any experience with taking that size tilt trailer up there? Does it get beat to hell, or just take a couple of spares, and go easy? Number three - How is the water looking in the Sag? Is there enough water to make any progress floating in that size raft, with two or three people in it? Thank you for your input.
    Honestly if you have the room I would deflate completely and inflate/assemble once you are there. That trailer will be bouncing all over the road with how lightweight cats are unless you really throw gear inside you also run the risk of putting a sharp rock or piece of tire chain metal through the tubes with no protection up front.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

I agree with BSJ...and will add that the trailer itself will get the snot beat out of it. The Haul Road demands the stoutest of equipment. Those trailers definitely have their place, but the Haul Road aint one of 'em.

I hauled 1/4 cord of firewood up there and like 6 gas cans on my trailer like that a couple years back. The haul road claimed one of my tires on it. That being said I've hauled the same trailer up several other times without issue. They do take a beating though.

Default Trailering the Haul Road

Years ago, I pulled a pretty new trailer up the Haul Road. All the bouncing around cracked the wheel bearings on one side and it cost my $325 at the gas station in Coldfoot to replace a $15 part...if you go, take spare parts!

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskastone915 View Post
    Years ago, I pulled a pretty new trailer up the Haul Road. All the bouncing around cracked the wheel bearings on one side and it cost my $325 at the gas station in Coldfoot to replace a $15 part...if you go, take spare parts!
    I agree with this fella. Mr stone 915. Don't believe all the hype about how bad the haul road is, but make sure and respect it and bring spare parts/ tires. People are built different and not all believe its all its talked up to be. When I left there in aug of 2011, we were doing 70mph most of the way. Fairly smooth, miss the big holes and have some fun.... We did get one flat tire, FYI.