Thread: Taking Cataraft up the Haul Road on Trailer

Default Taking Cataraft up the Haul Road on Trailer

I'm considering taking my 18', Aire Cataraft up the Haul Road on an 8x10 Floe tilt trailer. I would protect the tubes as best as possible. There is no shield on the front of the trailer. This way we could store stuff in the raft, and also have the raft to float the Sag.

Number one - Has anyone ever taken a raft up the Haul Road in such a manner? Number two - It has been a while since I have been up there, but does anyone have any experience with taking that size tilt trailer up there? Does it get beat to hell, or just take a couple of spares, and go easy? Number three - How is the water looking in the Sag? Is there enough water to make any progress floating in that size raft, with two or three people in it? Thanks for your input.

I've only been up the Haul Rd. twice to float hunt. Both times my round raft was deflated and stored in the back of my truck. After seeing the mud & rocks that the jetboat/airboat guys deal with there is no way I would put my raft on a trailer. In your case if you don't have the space in the truck(s) for everything I would at least deflate the tubes and keep them safe in the back of the truck while leaving the frame assembled. Cover everything on the trailer with multiple tarps and expect a thick layer of mud. Just inflate the tubes when you are actually ready to float. If at all possible leave the trailer home!

Don't do it!!
    If the road is at all wet your raft will be a muddy, filthy mess. If you don't have one already, buy an inverter and bring your shop vac. Transport your raft and gear well tarped and inflate on site. If you insist on trailering an inflated raft I strongly suggest bringing scrub brushes/rags and a 5 gallon bucket. Budget 2 hours for cleaning raft/frame and accessories.
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

Word up to the Home Fry's! I will help as well! Don't Do It! Sorry Erik wanted to help you shout that! As stated not the best of ideas concerning potential damage and you will never really get the ick completely out of your valve covers or frame parts and if your taking an AIRE the zipper will forever hold the grit. You could also bring a Blast Pump or equal no need for a shop vac or an invert. Best of luck.

Pretend your truck is an aircraft. Deflate, roll-up & break-down everything as small as possible and pack it internally. Or at least wrap the few items that need to go up on the truck's roof in tarps/heavy garbage bags. The time and trouble you'll save, driving up without the trailer, will be more than enough to assemble your cataraft up at the Sag.
    "Luckily, enforcement reads these forums, and likely will peruse this one...Especially after a link of it is forwarded to them....." - AlaskaHippie.

Thank you for the replies. You certainly convinced me. I don't think there would be much left of the trailer, either. If I do head up there, I will break it down.