Thread: A must have for your boat trailer / tire, for emergency tire changes

Default A must have for your boat trailer / tire, for emergency tire changes

I thought I had all the essentials in my truck for changing the tire on my boat trailer if needed, but found when I had to take my tires off this last weekend that the lugs were almost impossible to get off, with the rust and how tight they were.

Thought I would share for those who didn't know already, that an extension made all the difference. Got the pipe shown in the picture for 4 bucks at AIH, to fit over the lug wrench. The lugs came off with NO issues. It's amazing how much a difference it made to have leverage. And, to think I can tightened the lugs up real tight now too.

A MUST HAVE, if you don't carry one in your truck already!! (sorry pic is sideways.. but you get the point).

photo 2.JPG

Yes and no. I managed to completely ruin my spinner wrench using that extension. The lug was so completely frozen the wrench gave first before I snapped a lug. Easy solution (maybe make that mandatory solution) is Never Seize on the lugs. No reflection on the value of the extension, but an illustration of just how much extra oomph it gives when you need it.

Another variation would be to use the cheater pipe with a breaker bar...no gears to fail and designed for high torque loads. Mine accepts 1/2" drive sockets. My breaker bar and a couple deep and shallow sockets that fit better than my lug wrench came from a pawn shop for well under $20. Cheater is a chunk of older style top rail from a chain link fence and fits over the breaker like a glove. Good advice Emu, BrownBear.

I can twist the lugs off with my 4 star wrench. Don't overtighten the lug nuts with your pipe extension...they should be properly torqued. And argue as some might, a little bit of anti-sieze every other year doesn't make my wheels fall off, but the nuts don't rust solid either.

Anti-Seize! I put a good coating on each lug

Another A+ for the Anti-Seize. I use it on all my vehicles, trailers, 4wheelers and any thing else that I my need to take apart later. Also I have never had a problem of anything coming loose because of using the stuff.
    Retirement Plan - Having Fun and Still Learning