Thread: Question for the true "Old Timers"

Question Question for the true "Old Timers"

For the purpose of this post, my meaning of "true Old Timers" is someone who has lived in this state for several decades, not just someone who has lived for here for a few years (like myself) . My question is this: What are your experiences with the general location of moose during this time of year, after such a hot/dry summer. Now before you go and post a smart*** reply like "outside" (although those responses ARE amusing) I am curious as to whether the moose are apt to hang out in the same type area as any other year or are they apt to be higher/lower in elevation(if hunting mountain areas). I do realize that not ALL moose are the same, I'm just curious as to a general opinion gathered firsthand of the general moose population's behavior. Now before I get any unneeded responses from those on this site that seem to seriously need to get out and smell the fresh air, I am asking for answers from long time IN STATE hunters/outdoorsmen because that is the info I am looking for. If you are like me and have a shorter residence time (almost 20yrs for me), feel free to give your input as I will take all info with a grain of salt but I'm asking for the longer resident experience to hopefully get a broader weather effect pattern. If you wish to b**** about my question or how I have worded or misspelled anything in this post please send me a PM, as I don't think anyone else on here wants to deal with anymore of that than we already have. Thank you for your time in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by dandeo2003 View Post
    ......What are your experiences with the general location of moose during this time of year, after such a hot/dry summer.......
    In the water. Small, shallow ponds with vegetation on the bottom. Cows with calves use water as escape terrain from predators. Both bulls and cows use the water in summer to feed on water vegetation as well as a place to cool down.

That time frame is ending with fall. Now the willows are full and tasty, and they're moving into pre-rut activity.

Is 34 years ok? lol....moose are where you find them...really tough to pin it down to any one situation, populations and terrain vary so much from here to there...you might need to be more specific on location...if you get flamed, you get flamed....don't sweat it, part of the deal here, some good info will trickle down....coming into the time of greatest social activity for moose here pretty soon...the cows'll be grouping up and the big boys will be running ridges....as will I Wish I was out there for opening morning, **** work!
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Experience: 1950 through 1985. I was a Registered Alaska Guide for most of those years (after that became a requirement). My own experience showed that bulls prefer to remain at higher elevations in an effort to stay above the flies. That meant slightly above the alders. They usually came down around the third week of September, when they began their fighting and servicing the cows. Calling bulls then became much easier too, rather than calling them earlier in the season. I caution you to remember that others may have had different experiences.

There's town moose ,flats moose, mountain Moose,Traveling moose,stay at home moose,lazy moose, Now I've been here 54 years and I would say the higher you go the better chances of getting a big moose. That being said I killed a 61 incher in the flats last year.

There was also a Late season that opened December first, and you could harvest TWO moose, but the second moose could only be shot after Dec. 1'st.

Did you know my friend Moose Moore, he homesteaded Tutor and Lake Otis roads........???

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly 2 View Post
    Experience: 1950 through 1985. I was a Registered Alaska Guide for most of those years (after that became a requirement). My own experience showed that bulls prefer to remain at higher elevations in an effort to stay above the flies. That meant slightly above the alders. They usually came down around the third week of September, when they began their fighting and servicing the cows. Calling bulls then became much easier too, rather than calling them earlier in the season. I caution you to remember that others may have had different experiences.

For the purpose of this post, my meaning of "true Old Timers" is someone who has lived in this state for several decades, not just someone who has lived for here for a few years (like myself) . My question is this: What are your experiences with the general location of moose during this time of year, after such a hot/dry summer. .

I've been hunting in Alaska for several decades and just because a person has hunted moose for a long time does not mean he knows what he is talking about when it come to moose. In order to answer your question correctly. I would need to know what moose your asking about, cows, young or old bulls and the area your wanting to hunt and if I do not hunt that area my answer would be a guess. Your time frame is now, August 20 in the next 5, to 20 days, the moose will be moving. Not to be confuse with most moose move around in an 2-3 Sq. miles during the summer.

Back to your question, you will find moose this time of the year where it cool and there is food and water that the best I can do with so little information. Sorry

For the purpose of this post, my meaning of "true Old Timers" is someone who has lived in this state for several decades, not just someone who has lived for here for a few years (like myself) . My question is this: What are your experiences with the general location of moose during this time of year, after such a hot/dry summer. Now before you go and post a smart*** reply like "outside" (although those responses ARE amusing) I am curious as to whether the moose are apt to hang out in the same type area as any other year or are they apt to be higher/lower in elevation(if hunting mountain areas). I do realize that not ALL moose are the same, I'm just curious as to a general opinion gathered firsthand of the general moose population's behavior. Now before I get any unneeded responses from those on this site that seem to seriously need to get out and smell the fresh air, I am asking for answers from long time IN STATE hunters/outdoorsmen because that is the info I am looking for. If you are like me and have a shorter residence time (almost 20yrs for me), feel free to give your input as I will take all info with a grain of salt but I'm asking for the longer resident experience to hopefully get a broader weather effect pattern. If you wish to b**** about my question or how I have worded or misspelled anything in this post please send me a PM, as I don't think anyone else on here wants to deal with anymore of that than we already have. Thank you for your time in advance.
    Debated on PM-ing you or not with this but well put! I commend you how you tried to cut out all the possible b/s replies you might get. Sometimes people should really think about what they're posting and whether its actually productive or just being critical of someone. Nicely done!

They're around the next bend, or over in the next creek... Valley, they're everywhere...
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

I appreciate the replies and the fact that everyone so far has been decent in their responses. I am looking for info around the Buffalo Mine Rd. area. Plan on going in a ways but not going to be more specific on the public forum. I kind of figured that they would stay near a water source, guess I was looking for conformation on my thoughts. What I wasn't so sure about was if it was "the norm" for bulls to travel (in general) from the ridges down to any rivers due to the heat /dry weather when on a cool/rainy year they might not do so?

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    There was also a Late season that opened December first, and you could harvest TWO moose, but the second moose could only be shot after Dec. 1'st.

Did you know my friend Moose Moore, he homesteaded Tutor and Lake Otis roads........???
    If you're talking about Moose Moore the bowhunter, of course I knew him. I once watched him hold two bows totaling 110-lbs in draw weight and pull them to full draw. I often wonder whatever happened to him . . . ?

I appreciate the replies and the fact that everyone so far has been decent in their responses. I am looking for info around the Buffalo Mine Rd. area. Plan on going in a ways but not going to be more specific on the public forum. I kind of figured that they would stay near a water source, guess I was looking for conformation on my thoughts. What I wasn't so sure about was if it was "the norm" for bulls to travel (in general) from the ridges down to any rivers due to the heat /dry weather when on a cool/rainy year they might not do so?
    Moose, like people, prefer the path of least resistance. They will travel downhill several thousand feet to reach swamps and puddles at times in order to eat, but will travel uphill again during the early morning hours to get above the flies. As a general rule, there is nothing in the "rivers" to attract them, but there is always good eating in the lake shallows and swampy areas. Also, they know where the mineral licks are, and if you can find one of those, stick around because the moose will walk right into your lap.

Grizzly 2 has it nailed for your area, the bulls will be up high. I hunted sheep just up the road in Granite creek in the 80's and we used to see nice bulls way up in the head waters above the brush line. Always wanted to hunt them but didn't want to pack them that far.