Thread: Can I drive right to the chatanika?

Default Can I drive right to the chatanika?

Can I drive a pickup with a canoe down Murphy dome road and launch in the chatanika? Or is there a hike in from the road to the river.

Also what's the chatanika like there? Is it a big river, deep, full of log jams?

I have searched on here but I can't really get a recent answer about the road conditions and about how close it gets

See what happens to a topic with no controversy! That's right nothing! This has been here 10 minutes, meanwhile the welfare moose thread and the Sasquatch caribou thread have recieved 15 responses in that timeframe

" Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Nice one! I dunno I knew this was a shot in the dark. I went about 6 years back or so in the search function and there wasn't much. I just don't think many people know about it.

I was laughing out loud at your posts!!! funny stuff anyway i have heard that there is a launch for sure. the road goes right to the river. i have floated from the upper chatanika to the elliot and didn't have to portage anything. all the sweepers are navigatable due to very slow current.People launch fan boats and such there. I dont know how managed or old it is so take my info lightly. I dont want to have you get there and the last person to launch there was noah.
    Trying to play enough to make working for the money all worth it.

Have a little patience. Anyone can BS about sasquatches. Not as many know the answer to your question.

I know the road goes to the river but have no idea about recent conditions.
    Jason
    http://www.troutnut.com -- Fly fishing photos & insect hatch encyclopedia.
    http://www.daltoncorridormap.com -- Exact 5-mile Haul Road corridor boundary for GPS & Google Earth

I haven't been down that road in a couple of years, usually really rough. The bottom may or may not be a big mud hole depending on the rain but there is a place to launch a boat on a sand bar.

We use to launch our 16ft riverboat from there every summer, launching a canoe should be a breeze but the Murphy Dome road can be rough one so take your time driving it.

I've been out that road from Murphy Dome to the Chat many times, including 2 days ago. It's a bit hard to describe - it's approx. 14 miles but takes 2 hours for me to drive all the way down. Yes it's that bad. Last year I took my pickup with canoe down - it was a great river trip except for the first few bends in the river. Just not deep enough for a prop but almost too deep and fast to get out and pull. Due to lack of rain this year the river is lower. Once you get downriver a few bends it's deep but there are logs under the surface that can do some damage if you hit them. There are cabins/houses at the river and they don't welcome visitors so it's not a good vibe - especially if you're trying to get down to the lower landing. They changed the road last year and added a gate. There was some talk of locking the gate so only the locals could have a key but I don't think they could make that stick? Anyway, sorry for such a long answer but yes, you can drive to the river. It's just not super easy to get in there by truck, or to get back up river to the landing by boat. Be prepared. As a side note - on the way out we were passed by a small car (Hyudai). Some guy with wife and kid going way too fast. As we got closer to Murphy Dome Road we could see a black stripe on the road. Then the oil stripe ended. He made it to Murphy Dome Road but that was it. Probably The End for his motor.

and if you go during moose season there will be very limited parking if any at all. If you are using a motor and want to go down river use the lower landing and if you want to motor upriver use the upper landing. This is a very popular area to hunt and fish due to it's proximity to Fairbanks and it's a rather easy float from the Elliott to the murphy dome rd. extension landing so expect plenty of company and boats zooming by you as it's not all that wide, there are some shallow spots upriver from the landing but the downriver side is deep once you get down a few miles....
    I once held the yardstick of anothers perfection, I threw it down and carved my own................