Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: An enlightening Unit 13 caribou thread

Default An enlightening Unit 13 caribou thread

This is a thread that I'd like designed for people who are hunting the tag and their story. Trying to read through the other one is like reading a novel on a kindergarden fight.

So, lets start a thread only on hunts. Successful/failure, general area (ex: eureka, denali hwy, etc), form of transportation; foot,atv,boat,plane.

Dont flood this with jargon, cause I dont care to hear about it.
    Grab a friend, a rifle and go hunt.

Tagged along with my brother in law and a friend of his this weekend trying to fill their Tier 1 caribou tags in the Lake Louise area. Hunted the lakes from Sat morning at first light till late Sun afternoon. Saw a decent number of caribou but they were all cows or cows with calves. Only saw one hunter with a caribou Sat morning and then saw one more with one down Sun afternoon as well as 3-4 fresh gut piles so they are out there but you will have to get lucky or put the time in glassing the shorelines.

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    Tagged along with my brother in law and a friend of his this weekend trying to fill their Tier 1 caribou tags in the Lake Louise area. Hunted the lakes from Sat morning at first light till late Sun afternoon. Saw a decent number of caribou but they were all cows or cows with calves. Only saw one hunter with a caribou Sat morning and then saw one more with one down Sun afternoon as well as 3-4 fresh gut piles so they are out there but you will have to get lucky or put the time in glassing the shorelines.
    Right on. That's what our plan is this weekend. Akrstabout about and I are gonna go with his friend on the lake. I haven't been there yet so thrilled.

Hunted this last weekend up by Cantwell. As most of you know there aren't much caribou up that way this time of year and I knew that. I also know that there are a lot more people over on the Eureka and Paxson side.... That's why I chose my spot. We packed up the 4 wheeler for an overnighter. one 4 wheeler, one girl friend and our dog. He ran out about 5 miles till we saw our first nice bull. the fog was bad, we decided to make a stalk. Hour later we couldn't find him. Sat down and ate trail mix and then headed back to the wheeler. About a 1/4 mile from the wheeler a nice bull came over a ridge right to us. The girl friend shot it at 75 yds running. First bou, and it only took one shoot with a 7mm-08. We found the slug after it went through both front shoulders and absolutely destroyed them!!! Worst damage I have ever seen! I went to dressing it out, the sun burned off the fog and then it was summer again. 75 degrees and muggy from all the moisture.7.jpg

Wife and I are headed up towards Eureka and will be in the area for about a week hunting the DC483 tags. We'll be staying in a black enclosed trailer hooked up to A 97 F250HD and riding 2 red Honda wheelers. If you see us feel free to stop by and say hello. I'll post a report once we start hunting.

I went up to Eureaka last Friday, rode the ATV back a ways. Saw a number of cows and calves. Mostly one or two at a time and widely scattered. From Friday morning through Sunday morning heard one set of gunshots other than mine. Did not see anyone with game bags or antlers on their ATV. I think opening weekend pushed them back to where they are harder to come by.

I shot a medium sized bull Saturday night as I was looking for a place to camp. Hunting pressure was pleasantly mild. Then again, I went in a ways and camped so I wasn't near the parking lot except when I got there and when I left.

Quote Originally Posted by AkHunter45 View Post
    Wife and I are headed up towards Eureka and will be in the area for about a week hunting the DC483 tags. We'll be staying in a black enclosed trailer hooked up to A 97 F250HD and riding 2 red Honda wheelers. If you see us feel free to stop by and say hello. I'll post a report once we start hunting.
    How are you accessing the DC483 area from Eureka?? That area is the east end of the Denali Highway.

Quote Originally Posted by CapnMike View Post
    How are you accessing the DC483 area from Eureka?? That area is the east end of the Denali Highway.
    Sorry about that, I should have said DC482.

Quote Originally Posted by AkHunter45 View Post
    Sorry about that, I should have said DC482.
    Isn't that even harder to get to from Eureka?? DC482 is the west end of the Denali Highway.

Thanks for creating this thread. My girlfriend got the DC 483 draw. we'll be hiking in a little way north of the Denali Highway near the Maclaren river this weekend. It'll be her first big game animal and my first time hunting Unit 13. Looking forward to it.

Yes, hope this thread stays on track. Heading up to Lake Louise again, this time with my youngest daughter and wife (they got the tags) and a couple of good friends (with tags). Hope to be cutting quarters all weekend! Hope the fire up that way goes away. Good luck to all!!

Quote Originally Posted by CapnMike View Post
    Isn't that even harder to get to from Eureka?? DC482 is the west end of the Denali Highway.
    My bad......again. We both have DC480.

Do any of you kep your hides from your bou? I kept one last year from a small bull and it turned out great, dosn't shed much and the kids love rolling around on it.

Does anyone know the name of the ATV trail that starts at the clearwater creek wayside and crosses the creek? Is it called the clearwater creek trail? im trying to find out some more info in it. I hunted it last year but want to see just how far back in it goes.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mallardman View Post
    Do any of you kep your hides from your bou? I kept one last year from a small bull and it turned out great, dosn't shed much and the kids love rolling around on it.
    I've not kept a bou hide, but I had the back half of a moose hide tanned with no hair...the hairs on caribou are hollow and will break off...and it may start shedding more if it gets a lot of kid use
    "Grin and Bear It"

For those that are going after Caribou this weekend, I know Knights Taxidermy was looking to buy some hides. You may want to contact them if you are interested. Good Luck!

Teacher-
    Yeah I had a hide from a big late season bull that shed so bad the wife finaly put her foot down and it now resides in a spare closet. But the early season one from last year had short soft hair and seems not to shed at all.

I haven't yet, but plan to keep my next bou hide. I'm figuring on leather for the hide and a lot of fly tying "deer" hair.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    I haven't yet, but plan to keep my next bou hide. I'm figuring on leather for the hide and a lot of fly tying "deer" hair.
    Do you have any literature on that? Could you PM me something about that? I would love to try it.

Here's the most recent hotline update.
    Hello, you have reached the Unit 13 Nelchina Caribou hotline for August 16th, 2013. The harvest quota for all Nelchina hunts this year is 2500 caribou. As of today, a total of 596 caribou have been reported taken.The Community Harvest CC001 and the Tier I RC566 hunts have been changed to bull only by Emergency Order, and will remain bull only for the remainder of the season. Caribou drawing hunts DC480-483 will open August 20th. The bag limit for these hunts have also been changed to bull only by EO, and will remain bull only for the entire season. This year, drawing hunters are required to stay within their designated drawing hunt areas. Hunt maps are available on the F&G website.At this time caribou are scattered across western subunit 13E from Honolulu Creek east through Portage and Watana Creek. Small numbers are available on Monohan flats and in the Upper Susitna and Upper MacLaren drainages. Additional groups can be found in western subunit 13A from the Susitna River south through the Lower Little Oshetna Drainage, and east towards Lake Louise and Lake Susitna. Few caribou are available on the lake system at this time, though caribou appear to be moving in that direction. Caribou remain sparse along the Eastern Denali Highway and the Lake Louise flats at this time.It is your responsibility to be aware of controlled use and closed hunting areas, listed in the Alaska Hunting Regulations, as well as Emergency Orders prior to hunting. Emergency Order information can be found at the F&G website at: adfg.alaska.gov or by calling the Nelchina caribou hotline at 267-2304..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast