Thread: I have a day off

Default I have a day off

and I need to fish for something..

Where would be a good place to go for the day?
    Remember I am not familiar with the area all that well so keep it kinda simple

where are you?

I'm in Anchorage.....

Well there is some decent trout fishing in valley lakes. I don't fish much in Anchorage its self. I hear kepler bradly lakes are good. They are over towards palmer.
    You can catch a lot of small fish out of rocky lake. down big lake road right on beaver lake road should be a sign at public entrance.
    beverely lake has some good fish in it as well, but the public entrance does require a hike. down pitman rd. to beverly lake road follow till you see the sign.

It is also best to fish from a boat if you can. I usually use a canoe.
    I hope this helps
    Good luck

Thanks for the suggestion. I don't own a boat so that's outta the factor.
    Do have a new pair of hip boots to break in and some cool new flies and reel.
    Can anybody tell me about ship creek? Best place to fish it? Were I would access it? I don't mind a bit of a walk..

I'm still trying to find a good area to venture into at Ship Creek and haven't found it yet. This morning I tried starting off at Reeves Blvd. outside of the Post Road gate at Elmendorf AFB but it wasn't all that great. The water was very dirty and didn't really see too many pools trout may settle. I walked down stream a few hundred yards and came across the same thing. It may have just been a bad day since the water was a bit low and dirty. I'm sure there are some folks who visit this forum that know of some good access points. I'm lookin', too! Suggest tryin' Campell Creek. I'm still new at fly fishing and gonna give it a try soon and probably take my shotgun. I've heard Brown Bears frequent the Campell and there have been a few close encounters.

If you are military there are several lakes on Elmendorf AFB and Ft. Richardson that can be fished from the banks. There is also the local lakes around Anchorage that can be fished with a fly rod off the banks. Also suggest getting chest waders opposed to hip waders. You can venture out a bit further with 'em. I got my first set a couple of weeks ago and glad I did! Just be sure to get the felt bottom soles for the wading boots. Makes it a lot easier on the slippery rocks. Of course there is always the float-tube or kick-raft to purchase so you can get further out in the lakes.

I'm not military (though my son is active duty elsewhere) so getting on base isn't in my cards. Gonna venture to Ship just to check it out for the heck of it tomorrow.
    Just bought the hip waders so I'll pass on the chest ones. If I need to wade that deep I probably shouldn't as I'm short and would probably tip over and have my waders fill with water..

Not much happening on Campbell from what I hear but that and Chester Creek are very near where I am so they are both worth at least a walk as well.