Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Skull Beetles

Default Skull Beetles

Anyone have them here? I heard TWB does but I can't figure out why I can't message. I need a black bear skull done!

you don't have enough posts yet, post more and you will be able to PM
    "What is it about a beautiful sunny afternoon, with the birds singing and the wind rustling through the leaves, that makes you want to get drunk? --Jack Handy

Quote Originally Posted by DiVo View Post
    Anyone have them here? I heard TWB does but I can't figure out why I can't message. I need a black bear skull done!
    Indeed I may. Drop an email and ill get in touch if you'd like.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    Indeed I may. Drop an email and ill get in touch if you'd like.
    Sure. dillonvought@gmail.com

Thanks

Email sent. Thanks!
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Does anyone around the Fairbanks area have any? I have a bear skull that needs a cleaning.
    Thanks,
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_O View Post
    Does anyone around the Fairbanks area have any? I have a bear skull that needs a cleaning.
    Thanks,
    Steve
    Not that I'm aware of.

TWB-
    Can you shoot my wife an email...she has a caribou skull she wants to get cleaned...I will be out of town hunting..
    Little_chik2004@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by gokorn1 View Post
    TWB-
    Can you shoot my wife an email...she has a caribou skull she wants to get cleaned...I will be out of town hunting..
    Little_chik2004@hotmail.com
    PM/email sent.

TWB, pm sent.

I also need a skull cleaned, a ram. Pm me if you ,can help

TWB,

You still got beetles?

curious as well

Don't take them to the guy in Glenallen. You'll never see them again. My 2012 caribou is gone I fear. I have left multiple messages and emails with no response. Beware!

Interesting that this thread got brought back up. I never ended up taking mine in as the price was a little higher than I was expecting, and I was thinking I would wait till the spring to put it in the shrimp pot. Anyone have winter prices available?

I've not been able to find beetles. I've soaked mine in a bucket of water for a couple of weeks then used a pressure washer to clean it up. It works nicely.

TWB could you contact me please? I have a a couple smaller skulls i am thinking about getting done. Thanks!

There's a guy down in Soldotna that has beetles. Not sure of his name. You can try Ron at Caribou Unlimited Taxidermy. He can get them to the guy.

I found someone named Bob Stockdale who was advertising WTB Skulls on Alaska List. He says for $150 plus shipping he will completely process the skull. I'm inquiring further.

Quote Originally Posted by DiVo View Post
    I found someone named Bob Stockdale who was advertising WTB Skulls on Alaska List. He says for $150 plus shipping he will completely process the skull. I'm inquiring further.
    If you cost sensitive do it your self for $50-75 start to finish probably.

Use maceration and do it yourself. Do a google search on it. Basically get a titanium aquarium heater for about $30 at the pet store, a bucket with a lid. Fill bucket with water enough to cover skull and weight it down with couple of plastic bottles of water to keep it from floating up. Insulate the bucket with some cheap insulation or ise a cheap cooler instead of bucket. and drill a hole in top of lid to put heater inside bucket. Turn heater up to 80ish degrees F and let it sit for 10 days to 2 weeks. If you keep
    The temp up and covered with water it will be completely devoid of flesh. This process sticks something fierce so be ready for that. Keep it in a shed or barn away from the house if possible. One the time had elapsed. Get some waterproof gloves, turn off heater, remove lid, remove bottles, and slowly poor off the goo water. Remove skull and carefully set aside. Carefully fish out any teeth that fell out. Carnivores are notorious having the front 6 teeth on top and bottom plus the last molar on the bottom and the tiny teeth between the canines fall out potentially during that process. Wash bucket or cooler for next step. Once all teeth are and skull are accounted for, place them back in container with high strength peroxide for a hour give or take on your patience or low strength stuff for a day or 2(brown bottle 3%). A few hours won't hurt, and 20 min would suffice on the really strong stuff(35%).Somewhere inbetween on the sally's beauty land peroxide. The H2O2 will really foam up killing all the bacteria and the smell. So prepare for an overflow of bucket. Once your H2O2 soak is done put it in as hot of tap water bath as you can get in your container and let it sit to cool for another hour or so. This will really foam and bubble as well.

If you like the way it looks let it dry and see what it looks like. If you want more grease out of it then you have 2 options:

soak it in heated soap water with your heater and bucket/cooler for a few weeks changing out the dirty greasy water every 5-7 days. Once you are satisfied, let dry, peroxide one more time just longer than before and then to hot water and dry. If content glue teeth back in and seal with a rattle can on non yellowing matte or satin spray sealer.

Option 2 soak in a solvent like acetone, Coleman fuel, auto gas, ammonia etc. for a few weeks or months and then into heated soapy water for a week and let
    Dry and see what you have. If you like. H2O2 soak and hot water bath and dry, glue teeth, and seal.

PM me if you have more questions. It is quite simple really.

Here is a pic of a set if black bears done exactly how I described. Pull teeth prior to any H2O2 soak if you like natural teeth.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1393478914.381143.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast