Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bever Dams and Surface Drives

Default Bever Dams and Surface Drives

OK...these aren't the biggest but I am getting a handle on what a surface drive and a freighter can do. Never should have waited so long!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cgsa_...ature=youtu.be

Good stuff there. Looks like you could pay for the motor trapping beaver in that area.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

We counted over a dozen in use lodges in the area!

great you tube , 2 things came to light with it , #1 beaver dams now [ small] # 2 you need some singing lessons you don't sing very well,
    [just kidding] great YOU TUBE , SID

great video greg!

That gravel bar with the moose tracks, looks like a great camp spot. Looks like that 14 hp pushes your rig along just fine.

Great family fun! Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by Sid View Post
    great you tube , 2 things came to light with it , #1 beaver dams now [ small] # 2 you need some singing lessons you don't sing very well,
    [just kidding] great YOU TUBE , SID
    My mother told me if you can't sing on key at least sing with enthusiasm!

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    great video greg!

That gravel bar with the moose tracks, looks like a great camp spot. Looks like that 14 hp pushes your rig along just fine.
    It does too. 20 KM/H and then I managed to break my GPS before the fine tuning. Think I am going a bit faster now.

North...have you added shielding to the canoe bottom to take on those dams?

Quote Originally Posted by bobmikk View Post
    North...have you added shielding to the canoe bottom to take on those dams?
    Nope....The dams are fairly smooth and if the gel coat gets buggered I'll fix it up.

As I don't know much about your rig is it a sanwitch unit like 2 sheets in glass an foam in between them ? or is it just one sheet for the skin of your canoe ?????? I am a Grumman person [ long time ] SID

Mine is a 12 year old unit (Hudson Bay from Scott Canoe). It has a slippery gel coat and aluminum stiffeners in the keel and keelsons. Not sure how many layers of cloth smothered with delicious polyester resin. It is very stiff and solid. No damage from the beaver dams but it doesn't like rocks or speedy impacts into gravel. No major damage but I have had some minor gel coat wear. There are transverse stiffening ridges inside that have aluminum stiffeners in them and the center and back seat act as a structural unit. It has been a great boat that I trust a lot.

From Scott Canoe

" The 21' Hudson Bay is a larger version of the 18' Albany and naturally will take a larger motor to push the increased load capacity. Consider a 9 hp for the Albany and a 20 hp for the Hudson Bay. Standard construction features include: heavy duty laminates, triple keel with aluminum pipe reinforcing, minimum of eight beefy aluminum cross ribs, cast aluminum nose and corner caps with built-in handles, extra wide ash gunwales and thwarts. The stern seat on both is a solid wood seat covered in fiberglass with floatation materials within. The 21' Hudson Bay comes standard with a solid center seat of the same construction. "

I have thought about putting some Kevlar wear patches on it but I want to keep it slippery. High density plastic shoes over the keel and keelsons would be lovely but I haven't done this.

Until Mainer gets going I think it's the best thing out there at present. A side benefit to a big Freighter is the great conversations I have had with First Nations Elders who come and talk to me and talk about the old days when they ran a big green freighter canoe. Very nostalgic for them and I have met some great folks and heard some great history. Here in the Yukon the motor is "new fangled" and I have actually had people follow me while I am trailering and ask me about it. Neat combo.

I thank you for the up date it sure sounds like a great rig, hope to get to Whitehorse some day to see it, sounds great, lots of large water to run
    not like South centrial Alaska [ Anchorage ]
    SID

Quote Originally Posted by North61 View Post
    My mother told me if you can't sing on key at least sing with enthusiasm!
    I quite enjoyed the singing; was my favorite part of the video. Sing on you seafaring viking!

Quote Originally Posted by North61 View Post
    It does too. 20 KM/H and then I managed to break my GPS before the fine tuning. Think I am going a bit faster now.
    Yip, that's about 13 mph, so if you're doing faster than that with two kids, gear, and the wife, you're doing very well. A guy doesn't need much more power n that.....honestly. I'm thinking about making the switch to the 14 kohler after feeling how smooth and balanced your motor is. I'll finish up season three, and keep my motor as a back-up power plant. Torque stays the same, but HP bumps up slightly over the lct. I also have a briggs 13 hp, that one pushes 21 ft. lbs of torque, which is more than either your's or my motor, while being about 10 lbs lighter.

Well..went on an absolutely amazing trip with my son. We went into wilderness and the motor was amazing. No wife = no video this time. There is a learning curve to river running and we were stuck on a sweeper for a while. I needed to drag a few times. My waist waders were tested! However we went into country no one else can, at least easily. I went up some very fast channels and was never underpowered though I am sure an expert could make use of more HP in truly scary water.
    The prop might even need a few brushes with a file and your rock guard is outstanding!

Unfortunately (for me) a bunch of folks have talked to me at length about the motor and I think you are going to get some Yukon business. This copperhead creates a crowd wherever I go. I am too dang honest so I sell this motor concept to any-one who asks. First Nations guys in particular seem to see the utility of the design! One guy from Teslin took a picture of the copperhead sticker, and I told him your name and the Louisiana connection. He has family in Anchorage and a dad with a freighter canoe. My monopoly is fading fast!

Great, great concept and the most fun I have had in a long time.

What kind of emergency gear do you guys carry on a wilderness trip...should your motor crap out ?? cell phones work in all areas up there?

Cell phones don't work except at or around towns in the Yukon. I carry:

1: A Spot Device it sends, I am ok, help needed or dials 911 up to a satellite with a link to google earth giving a location, It's been pretty reliable.
    2: Enough gear to be self sufficient for most situations.

Quote Originally Posted by Kushtekaa View Post
    I quite enjoyed the singing; was my favorite part of the video. Sing on you seafaring viking!
    YES!!!...finally someone with finely refined musical taste!

Getting better at this game but needed to set up a Z-Drag this time. Too tall to jump!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tza07...ature=youtu.be

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast