Thread: Ketchikan in late September?

Default Ketchikan in late September?

I'm headed to Ketchikan for the last week of September.
    I've never been there this late and don't know what to expect.

I would like to target Silvers and Halibut. Is this still a peak time for them or am I a week or two late?

I plan to troll cut plug herring and hootchies for Salmon and to drift/jig rubber squids with herring chunks for Halibut.

Any advice on what to expect and or what to use would be appreciated!

Thank you,
    Scott.

Scott send me an email with your number and I will give you a call. I will be there september 14-21st and will fill you in on what i do at that time.

Mike
    mmhuppi@yahoo.com

Expect rain. Rain like Noah saw from the ark.

making mental note...rent an ark (can you troll with one of those?)

Mike-thank you for the call and information.
    It sounds like there should be plenty of Silvers and Halibut available.

Does anyone else have any suggestions for gear, best locations or late Sept fishing reports?

Here is the "better late than never" fishing report for Ketchikan Sept 24-30.

First two days were sunny and flat (preceeding days were reported as extremely windy and rainy) then the weather switched back to wind and rain and more wind and more rain. Despite the typical SE Alaska weather, we only lost one morning of fishing due to water conditions. We had a brief encounter with some 3-4 foot waves but most of the time we were in less than 1 footers.

We started near Herring cove. A few big silvers hit but it was apparently the place to be the week prior. (The first one was blush colored the others were bright)
    Next we tried Thorne Arm. A couple of Rockfish in the mouth of it but no salmon or halibut. We then tried the top end of Thorne. We loved the scenery but only caught lots of Spiny Dogfish sharks and nothing else. (and lost considerable tackle to the toothy vermin in the process)

The next day we went to Vallenar Bay and Guard Island. A few Silvers a couple Rockfish and one small Halibut. The little halibut was caught in 400ft of water (I usually wouldn't fish that deep but nothing else was working).

The remainder of the trip was focused on the Clover pass, Betton and Grant Island areas. The mornings were very productive for Silvers with 16 being our best. We had several doubles and were catching them from the surface to 60 feet deep with most being somewhere in between.
    The salmon were caught on cut plug herring and the bottom fish were caught using herring heads on hootchies and crippled herring jigs.
    Small Kings were everywhere the last two days but completely absent the first two days.
    We also had a large Chum and a Pink that should have been dead but didn't know it.

Halibut were easy to catch in July but nearly impossible this time. We had one at Vallenar and one outside Ward Cove. We struck out on them at Naha, Tatoosh, Guard Island, Grant, Betton and assorted areas in between. Dogfish Sharks plagued us nearly everytime that we had what we thought were good Halibut conditions.

Whales were spotted daily along with an assortment of waterfowl, eagles, porpoise, seals, etc.

We stayed at the Narrows Inn. (2 miles north of Ketchikan)
    Tackle was primarily Tiger Rods with Shimano 6500 Tekota Line Counters and 65# Spider Wire. (overkill for silvers but very capable for most Halibut)
    Flasher size and color didn't seem to make much difference.
    Boat was a new custom made Svendsen hardtop with twin 115hp Yamahas, high sides and self bailing decks.
    Most fish processing was done via Cedar's Lodge and Clover Pass Resort. (Great folks that will cut, seal and freeze for under $2 per pound)

My wife was pleased with the salmon filets but made it clear that she was expecting more than just a handful of Halibut.
    I guess I will have to go back again!